View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 01:37 PM
No jackie youre not the only breeder pi ss ed of by the comments always made on here about breeders, im sick and tired of having to answere questions about bieng ethical, i think they only have a go at us because they cant get to the puppy farmers,and byb .xxzbxx
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 01:53 PM
This thread is about those who falsely pass themselves off as ethical breeders, it's not about having a go at the genuine ethical breeders.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
As I've said many times when we contact breeders we sound them out first to give them an opportunity to offer to take their dog back. We've not yet come across a situation where the breeder has offered (not saying it doesn't happen, just not happen to us yet with an adult dog) and yes we then go on to try and educate. I've said upteen times since my post of "ticking off" from about a year ago, that it wasn't the right choice of words. We educate them but we also tell them as it is in a proffessional yet not let them off lightly manner. You can't educate and be non-judgemental at the same time towards people who wash thier hands of the pups they've bred - They need to be made aware.

I think Anne, that very fact is an indication of the type of breeders that are responsible for the largest input of dogs into rescue.

Puppy farmers and other irresponsible breeders are less likely to take care over the placement of their puppies, and to offer rehoming, so naturally it follows that these are likely candidates for rescue. The more irresponsible and prolific the breeder, the more likely that their produce will end up in rescue.

Obviously, as already stated, there will be the odd occasion where a responsibly bred dog does find its way to rescue, but I think Anne you have based you general view of dog breeders on the biased sample that you come into contact with through your work.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 02:03 PM
This thread is about those who falsely pass themselves off as ethical breeders, it's not about having a go at the genuine ethical breeders.
Actually the thread title was:

Naming & Shaming breeders of dogs ending up in rescue
Anne, its you that are making the sweeping generalisations on breeders as a whole and you shouldnt be, its unfair. People such as yourself and Krusewalker are very annoyed when such statements are made about rescues, yet you see fit to tar all breeders the same. Your dealings with breeders to date seem EXACTLY what this thread is all about, but you keep saying I have yet to contact an ethical breeder. Doesnt mean they arent there Anne, just means you have come up against dogs bred by UNETHICAL breeders who in the thread title should be "named and shamed." It stands more than a fair chance that the majority of pedigree dogs in rescue ARE bred by dodgy folk as most ethical breeders will have stated they will take the dog back should need be.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I think Anne, that very fact is an indication of the type of breeders that are responsible for the largest input of dogs into rescue.
I completely agree, we have yet had a dog come into us that was originally bought from a genuine ethical breeder, plenty from so called ethical breeders and of course many more from bybs and pfs.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
People such as yourself and Krusewalker are very annoyed when such statements are made about rescues, yet you see fit to tar all breeders the same.
Not at all Dawn there are some really dodgy rescues out there who try to pass themselves off as reputable, I believe they too should be highlight just as I believe the genuine breeders should be trying to so something about the so called ethical breeders who are giving they themselves a bad name.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Not at all Dawn there are some really dodgy rescues out there who try to pass themselves off as reputable, I believe they too should be highlight just as I believe the genuine breeders should be trying to so something about the so called ethical breeders who are giving they themselves a bad name.
Sorry Anne, there you go again, "so called " ethical breeders, what do you expect us to do. The government receive petitions asking them to badn pf and do nothing about it, do you expect us to take the law into our own hands.
Also maybe the reason you;ve yet to meet an ethical breeder through rescue is because they have already taken there pups back to be rehomed themselves so there dogs dont actually make it into the centre in the first place.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 03:03 PM
When I say "so called" ethical breeders I'm not talking about pfs and bybs I'm talking about breeders who are involved in showing their dogs, often reg with the acredited breeders scheme etc those who say one thing but in-fact do another.

Not like the "genuine" ethical breeders who do exactly what they say they do.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Anne, take a look at the accredited breeders scheme, you dont even have to own a dog to become registered. They outline "reccommenations" not "must do's" even the health testing isnt complusary, it just says "make use of" health screening relevant to each breed.

I dont think the ABS holds much water, but I expect others do. IMO, any "scheme" should have set rules, if not adhered to then the puppies will not be registered.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Anne, take a look at the accredited breeders scheme, you dont even have to own a dog to become registered. They outline "reccommenations" not "must do's" even the health testing isnt complusary, it just says "make use of" health screening relevant to each breed.

I dont think the ABS holds much water, but I expect others do. IMO, any "scheme" should have set rules, if not adhered to then the puppies will not be registered.
My thoughts exactly. The ABS is no better than registering pups as normal with someone cool sounding gumph to make people more confident IMO.
Page 16 of 25 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »