Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Surely that would depend on the issues the dog has,
If a dog doesn't behave the way the owner wants it to (in whatever way that might be) but the owner lets it do what it likes when it likes, the dog is never going to behave how the owner wants it to behave.

By giving the dog rules/boundaries, then rewarding the dog for following those rules/boundaries, the dog knows it has to do what the owner wants to get what it wants.

That's just basics isn't it?

I guess you'll just quote varying parts of my posts now - I get the M.O. now, but I think you know what I'm trying to explain really
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Now if a dog has an issue with barking in th front room because he can see out that window ..then, yes, dont let him in that room.
Wouldn't the positive training way be to teach him to do something else while the dog was at the window?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
If a dog doesn't behave the way the owner wants it to (in whatever way that might be) but the owner lets it do what it likes when it likes, the dog is never going to behave how the owner wants it to behave.

By giving the dog rules/boundaries, then rewarding the dog for following those rules/boundaries, the dog knows it has to do what the owner wants to get what it wants.

That's just basics isn't it?

I guess you'll just quote varying parts of my posts now - I get the M.O. now, but I think you know what I'm trying to explain really

Teaching a dog boundaries and manners is jus that teaching them boundaries and manners... if you dont want a dog to go on the furniture, you set boundaries, if you want a dog to sit before you go out, you teach manners.

But those boundaries and manners are not going to be the cure for all issues.

You can have a dog who knows, the house rules, yet still has an issue with A, B, or C..... keeping a dog confined to a space is not going to cure that issue.

As I said if you have a dog that "guards" furniture, dont let it on the furniture....

If you have a dog that guards his toys , but gets off the furniture when told, why exclude him from the sofa

Horses for courses as they say.. a problem needs to be solved as the problem arises, NOT do a blanket ban on everything , hoping that will teach the dog boundaries

Ofcause a dog will learn from rewarding what ever rules you set down..but they have to be addresses separately.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 11:49 AM
not read all the threads....

bu i think caesar milan is a prat.....

nuff said
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Rune; wish you had done this as a poll as my processor is too slow to read each page.

I would never let him have my dogs. Taki would return more fear aggressive than ever and CM would be scarred for life; and gentle sweet Ilo would be miserable with being bullied, yanked around and way too hot in LA with all her fur (she does not do swimming pools). Both would miss their off-leash freedom on the reserve and the rabbits, stoats and mice around here and consider rollerblades and treadmills and a dusty yard with a ball (neither retrieve much) a ridiculous substitute. I would miss them and would worry about their interaction with him every second.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
not read all the threads....

bu i think caesar milan is a prat.....

nuff said
summs it up really , short and sweet
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Wouldn't the positive training way be to teach him to do something else while the dog was at the window?
That would be CM's way too, "Do offer your dog an alternative to the disallowed behaviour"
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Teaching a dog boundaries and manners is jus that teaching them boundaries and manners... if you dont want a dog to go on the furniture, you set boundaries, if you want a dog to sit before you go out, you teach manners.

You can have a dog who knows, the house rules, yet still has an issue with A, B, or C..... keeping a dog confined to a space is not going to cure that issue.

As I said if you have a dog that "guards" furniture, dont let it on the furniture....

If you have a dog that guards his toys , but gets off the furniture when told, why exclude him from the sofa

Horses for courses as they say.. a problem needs to be solved as the problem arises, NOT do a blanket ban on everything , hoping that will teach the dog boundaries

Ofcause a dog will learn from rewarding what ever rules you set down..but they have to be addresses separately.
I actually agree with this completely
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27
Yes ofcause it would, I was condensing the example.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 03:05 PM

I never said it was.

I don't believe I said anything about 'confining a dog to a space'?

But that isn't teaching it not to guard the furniture.

Where did I say that??

I'm getting the sense that you are deliberately misinterpreting my post and I guess I'm wondering what that's about. On the other hand I could be wrong and it could be all my fault for not being clear enough.

Never mind, I know what I mean and it doesn't matter if you don't know what I mean
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 20 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »