Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Jackbox;1952688]
Originally Posted by rune View Post

you have lost me know

The highlighted , was a simply response to you saying your dogs dont come from breeders....

Did I say all dogs in rescue come from bad breeders,,,

Explanation........ dogs/pups are bred by breeders, some end up in rescue and in new homes, but they still have been bred by someoen somewhere before they got to rescue!!!!!
So why bother to say it?---I think we are all grown up enough to know all dogs come from some kind of breeder (G)!

I sort of thought we were all grown up enough to realise that I meant mine don't come straight from breeders----except the heath tested pedigree poorly one of course!

Obviously I was wrong---I will try and be more specific next time.

BTW---all dogs in rescue SHOULD come from bad breeders---the good ones would take them back----or wouldn't they?

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

So why bother to say it?---I think we are all grown up enough to know all dogs come from some kind of breeder (G)!

I sort of thought we were all grown up enough to realise that I meant mine don't come straight from breeders----except the heath tested pedigree poorly one of course!

But them of you followed the same policy when you bought the one from the breeder , as you have know , then is it surprising you picked a breeder who does not take health into consideration!!!!!!!!

Obviously I was wrong---I will try and be more specific next time.

yep its always best to be that, then no confusion for others

BTW---all dogs in rescue SHOULD come from bad breeders---the good ones would take them back----or wouldn't they?

rune
If only life was that simple, you forget , the owner has to inform the breeder , they no longer want the dog ,for them to be able to take it back!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If only life was that simple, you forget , the owner has to inform the breeder , they no longer want the dog ,for them to be able to take it back!!
Jackie is right, when they want rid, they get rid & most cant remember what they did with its papers much less who the breeder was.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I wouldn't either, infact I may be the one to set them on fire (joke) but I've also found it to be ironic from reading posts that someone who has sat down and slated breeders to the skies about their practicies would support a bad breeder to get a certain colour, people who do this are only supporting more dogs to be born into the world from breeders who shouldn't be, but its ok really, because they wanted a certain colour!!!

good post again LOL

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yes - but you said health testing is the be all and end all to you....It is not to me!

Everything has to be included and that includes colour - as I said - it is ALL a priority to me! There is no one thing that is top!!!

If you switch it round, saying that colour should not be important.....what about if someone has a dog who has a fab temperament, great health and confirmation - but its the wrong colour - never mind - the important stuff is there!
I think you will find i said testing (among other stuff was the bee all and end all)

Colour is not important to me over tempermant, health or anything else for that matter! Yes i love black and white cresteds would i go to a known breeder that didnt test, and bred from dogs known to have bad tempermant, heck would i!! Bad breeders are just that bad breeders and no one should shupport them for what ever reason there is no excuse!

and to be honest i am sickened that some one would suggest that its ok to go to a known bad breeder to get what you want which in this case is a certain colour..

and to read you are planning a litter..ohh wow speechless.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I would, I wouldn't put it above health or temerament of course but I would pay extra for a certain colour of dog. For instance if I ever win the lottery and could get a Great Dane, I would get a harlequin, now I have no idea if they cost more but if they do then I would be prepared to pay it.

Similarly with my lottery win i'd be getting myself a newfoundland, my preference is for a landseer, again if they are more expensive i'd pay the premium as this is what appeals to me.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Any breeder that charges more for a certain colour wouldnt get my money, i would be running in the other direction....
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-05-2010, 12:42 PM
In our breed (Siberian Huskies) no ethical breeder would charge extra for any coat colour, eye colour etc. That is not the case, however, for the puppy farmers, backyard breeders and naive/greedy "pet" breeders. A quick scan of the puppy sales websites will throw up any number of adverts for "rare" "blue-eyed" white huskies. In fact, amongst the bad breeders, blue-eyed whites are probably the most common dogs around. Certainly they are very much over-represented amongst huskies coming into rescue.

Mick
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Personal opinions not borne out in the real world. I would question somebody rejecting a black stud with good health and temperament because it might throw yellows or chocolates.
I don't think somebody would reject a good quality black labrador stud dog. I think what Labradork was meaning is that there are distinct lines (particularly in this country) that will consistently produce chocolate labs. and if a chocolate pup is required a buyer would be advised to find a line with parentage reliably producing the chocolate colour. As you are probably aware there are wide variations in labrador types (I am thinking particularly differences in working and show strains and I also think that chocolate labs. can be different in type from either golden labs or the blacks. I don't think it is just a matter of colour. Perhaps a lab. expert out there will know more than I do.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I would, I wouldn't put it above health or temerament of course but I would pay extra for a certain colour of dog. For instance if I ever win the lottery and could get a Great Dane, I would get a harlequin, now I have no idea if they cost more but if they do then I would be prepared to pay it.

Similarly with my lottery win i'd be getting myself a newfoundland, my preference is for a landseer, again if they are more expensive i'd pay the premium as this is what appeals to me.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.
a quick look and harliquins for sale at 250more than their black litter mate ..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Even at the age you are looking at pups at its not all about looks, there are still different things that appeal about each dog. And I'm sorry but no matter what colour the dog is if its a breed you like you should still enjoy looking at it, to tell you the truth I don't think that Siren looks any thing more special then a black and white BC, just like mine don't look anymore special then any Lurcher or Longdog you see walking the streets with their owner.

Of course she doesn't - why would she?? - she is what I wanted - not what you wanted!!? I like her colour - that was not going to change, the fact she had pricked ears was a bonus for me. At 3 days old (when I said I would have her) I had not idea what her personality was going to be like, what her conformation was going to be like or how here markings would change - but I knew she was going to be blue! I

I also know about Merles, its one of my big bug bares, and its wrong, which is why I'm glad that the KC is doing their best to protect some breeds like Chi's saying that a dog that is born with a Merle as a parent wont be registered either .

Show and pet homes are different IMO, as a show dog is a dog that is a great example of the breed, a dog that could go on and benefit the breed if breed, a pet owner can get a show or working quality dog and pay a higher price if they wish, as they are getting a better quality dog based on conformation and everything, pet dogs although lovely and amazing on their own are not so much of a prime example of the breed, and are generally priced to go with that.

So thats what your gonna sell yours for then?
I would sell a pup for a price that would hopefully cover some of the costs of bringing it into the world - but there would be no difference whether it was a dog or a bitch, black or red and white or whether it was going to a pet or a show home.
Page 16 of 42 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »