View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm sure that (perhaps with one or two exceptions) most of us who are arguing for rescue dogs would never wish to make anyone else feel guilty for not choosing one.

We just want people to give it some serious thought and to make people aware that whilst there are dogs with issues in rescue, there are also many, many loving, gentle and obedient dogs just waiting for another chance.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
We just want people to give it some serious thought and to make people aware that whilst there are dogs with issues in rescue, there are also many, many loving, gentle and obedient dogs just waiting for another chance.
I must admit that I feel a lot more confident about dog ownership, training and issues that all dogs can have (whether rescued or from a breeder) than I did when we first got Max.

When we eventually get another dog (sadly, not for a long while yet) I'll certainly be contacting Boxer Rescue. I think that I could probably cope with most stuff after having 2 mental furbabies in my life!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm sure that (perhaps with one or two exceptions) most of us who are arguing for rescue dogs would never wish to make anyone else feel guilty for not choosing one.

Absolutely!

I chose a rescue dog with issues, because I felt I could cope.
The rescue did try to put me off ( I think to test my dedication) and they offered me "easy" dogs.

There really are dogs - and puppies - in rescue who are there because of divorces, deaths, pregnancies who are GOOD family pets.. and they can be young or old.
I'm just pleading for people to think - to be open minded - and give them a chance.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 11:36 AM

I agree, we gave Jake who had issues a home and a lot of time and effort to become the dog he is and when the time comes for me to get another dog and I will look down both routes.

I would much rarther someone go for a pedigree if they are unsure about a rescue, as if they find they cant cope the dog if it turns out it has issues(not all rescues do) gets returned again, I think thats why we went for Jake has he was on his fourth stint.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
i've had a dog from breed rescues before and they've been returned for aggression towards my kids and my OH even tho i was told they were ok with people.
on returning them i found out that a behaviourist had reccomended the dog NOT be homed with kids or men.
i lost faith

the 2 dogs i've had from dodgy rescues have been great. 1 was 3/4yrs old and lived till he was 14yrs old, the other 'royal highness' is with me now.

Hector is my first pedigree. i wanted a Leonberger from a pup so he could grow with us. 2 yrs of research paid off. yes he cost a bomb but thats my business. i dont hold with the snob value as people have pedigree knowing what the dog will eventually become.

also with rescue centres policies being so strict on young families wanting a pup and refusing them makes you wonder why PF's and BYB's do such a good trade.

yes i wrote this, and....

[QUOTE=spot;1254596]I wondered when this would get round to rescues being to blame for puppy farmers and BYB's! Another thread turning into lets slag off rescues![/QUOTE]

....this was not 'slagging' off rescues, but if you wish to perceive it that way then carry on:smt102

families will turn to these traders if they have been refused by their local rescue because they have small children, only because they charge less than a reputable breeder.

please remember that not all people are so informed about dogs and will not find a PF or BYB a problem until something horrible happens to the dog.

education again!

not all rescues are lenient with their policies
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

25-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Great post Fiona .
As you know from my previous post when I retire from showing I may well rescue a dog or I may not depending on the circumstances, but that will be MY choice and I feel there are some people who are so recue orientated and dictate their views so strongly that it does put me off rescue somewhat and then I read a post like yours and my faith is restored.

The people who try to make others feel guilty about not rescuing to me are not doing rescue dogs any favours by their overbearing attitude , they should stop and think that Sometimes you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
The people who try to make others feel guilty about not rescuing to me are not doing rescue dogs any favours by their overbearing attitude , they should stop and think that Sometimes you catch more bees with honey than with vinegar
I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty, or trying to convince anyone to get a rescue dog, just merely pointing out the truth. whilst some goes out and buys that cute little dog, another cute little dog is being killed because it hasn't got a home, this is fact not me trying to enforce guilt on someone, it's reality.

I don't blame people for feeling guilty, everyone has the choice at the end of he day.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Great post Fiona .
As you know from my previous post when I retire from showing I may well rescue a dog or I may not depending on the circumstances, but that will be MY choice and I feel there are some people who are so recue orientated and dictate their views so strongly that it does put me off rescue somewhat and then I read a post like yours and my faith is restored.

I feel this way too - though it took a long time for me to become mature enough to realise that good breeders are as valuable as good rescues.
I think that whichever way people choose, education/adivce should be offered to guide people toward the best rescues for them to consider if they want to adopt, and the best breeders if they want to buy, and the pitfalls to avoid ie the poorer standard rescues and the bad breeders.

If people adopt, fantastic, I`m pro-rescue through and through - but if people choose to buy and either use their experience to choose the good breeders or will guide novice buyers, then that means many dogs will never be in need of rescue which means far from causing dogs to not get homes from rescue, they are preventing the numbers from being even bigger than they already are.

If people are going to buy they are going to buy, end of, so then what matters is where they buy from and that is the difference between supporting bad breeders or not - don`t buy from that sort and there is no point in them churning out litter after litter of dogs which will cause heartbreak when things go badly wrong, often dying very young being one of the usual results.

Buy from a good ethical breeder rather than a bad one.
Adopt from a good ethical rescue rather than a less decent one.

Those really are the way to change the tide and its up to buyers and adopters to turn that tide by being sensible, researching, asking for advice when they need it, and listening to advice sometimes when they might not realise that they would benefit from it
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I dont feel guilty for owning 2 beautiful pedigree/purebred dogs They are my world! As I am sure everyone feels about their dogs, whether they be rescue or pure...
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

If people are going to buy they are going to buy, end of, so then what matters is where they buy from and that is the difference between supporting bad breeders or not - don`t buy from that sort and there is no point in them churning out litter after litter of dogs which will cause heartbreak when things go badly wrong, often dying very young being one of the usual results.
Not nessessarily, reading through this thread it seems some people still think that the majority of rescue dogs have problems and if they have young children or other animals they can't have a rescue and have to buy. You know as well as I do that this isn't the case with rescue dogs.
Page 15 of 23 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »