Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If they can't afford the adoption fee they have little chance of affording unexpected vet bills.

How would you suggest the rescues funded themselves and their vet bills without any adoption fees?

rune
I have thought about this and completely agree. The Shelter in phuket only asks for a donation but that is only because they have a rich benefactor who has numerous charity events. If he did not do it, there would be no shelter and the dogs would be dumped at the temples - diseased and free to breed.

I would think of the fee as doing your bit to help a valuable service.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
@ rune.

I understand what your saying and am not entirely sure what the answer should be.

Allow me to explain my circumstances.

My wife had to give up work 7 years ago after discovering she had Multiple Sclerosis, a month later it was that bad that I gave up work to become her full time carer. We are now on benefits rather than a combined salary of 80k.

We have 3 dogs that are insured on life cover and come first in our lives, always. Yet from the time we were looking for each dog we struggled to find the "fee" that was being "requested/asked" for. In each case £200, £150 & £100.

We are at home 24/7 so have the time to offer them, we have the love and affection to offer them also.

It was only through help from family members and a friend that we were able to "offer a forever home" to our dogs.

I am not advocating rescue don't charge, we all know there work is tireless and their one remit is always "Dogs First".

But sometimes adopt a different approach other than "Well if you can't afford the fee, how are you going to pay the bills"

We always seem to find a way of meeting vets costs even if it means we miss out..
I am in a similar situation and that is why I live in phuket. Vet bills are a fraction of the price. If I lived in the UK again, I would find a way to get a dog BEFORE it reached the shelters.
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I think an adoption fee of £100 to £200 is fair particularly if they are neutered/spayed. My last rescue was in a sorry state and I gave the rescue £100 donation and paid all her vet bills (vaxing, chipping, spaying and treatment for mange and a stomach problem) so ultimately she cost me around £500. I think you have to look at the adoption fee as a donation towards the rescue centre and not as the purchase price of your dog. Some dogs are in rescue centres for months even years and have to be fed and cared for until their forever home comes along. I am particularly fond of sight hounds and many of them arrive in shelters in appalling condition - some with broken legs - mange and other illnesses which take time and money to cure. I am not convinced that if the adoption fee was less that more perfect homes would be found, after all, don't most of us have to save up to buy something we really want?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I think there should be a balance between finding a good forever home and the ability to give a big fee/donation. I coached gymnastics for years and we were one of the only clubs in the region who did not let abilty to pay fees stop a talented gymnast from progressing. Sometimes there needs to be consideration to families that can support a dog but do not necessarily have the lump sum to pay upfront. I think it should be dealt with on a case by case basis with a loving supportive home being the priority not withstanding making sure that although a lump sum is not possible the wherewithall to keep a dog is, Just my opinion
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Here in the states the fees differ GREATLY and I think some do price gouge. Around my house fees are $150 USD... in some other locations they're as low as $50 USD up to $400 USD. I think this is reasonable... but what irks me is the rescue operations that charge more then that. A shelter has to have employees, food, electric, water, taxes, rent...etc. A rescue has less of a financial burdon and yet their fees seem to be much higher. I attempted to adopt an olde english bulldogge puppy at a rescue at a fee of $700. I think that's way too much. I understand it's a purebred rare breed (at least here it is) BUT... if that dog was a mutt... would they charge $700? When a rescue charges hundreds more just because of the breed then it has nothing to do with running the operation, vet bills etc... it's to make more money and when comparing... how is that different from a backyard breeder? I think finding good homes for needy animals should be the # one priority... not money.

Knowing more about the situation... they rescued a pregnant female who had a large litter of purebred puppies... so it wasn't like a single dog was going for $700... they all were - for a grand receiving price of $4000+.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by WheatenDaneMom View Post
Here in the states the fees differ GREATLY and I think some do price gouge. Around my house fees are $150 USD... in some other locations they're as low as $50 USD up to $400 USD. I think this is reasonable... but what irks me is the rescue operations that charge more then that. A shelter has to have employees, food, electric, water, taxes, rent...etc. A rescue has less of a financial burdon and yet their fees seem to be much higher. I attempted to adopt an olde english bulldogge puppy at a rescue at a fee of $700. I think that's way too much. I understand it's a purebred rare breed (at least here it is) BUT... if that dog was a mutt... would they charge $700? When a rescue charges hundreds more just because of the breed then it has nothing to do with running the operation, vet bills etc... it's to make more money and when comparing... how is that different from a backyard breeder? I think finding good homes for needy animals should be the # one priority... not money.

Knowing more about the situation... they rescued a pregnant female who had a large litter of purebred puppies... so it wasn't like a single dog was going for $700... they all were - for a grand receiving price of $4000+.
Good point. All it does is put people off going back there.
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15