Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
I agree that a dog somewhere in the world could die because a home cannot be found or the rescue is full. But I don't think that anyone has said that dogs in the UK are less deserving of a home, only that non-UK are no less deserving than UK dogs.

IMO all dogs, wherever they come from are equally deserving, all other factors being equal. I don't think man-made national barriers should enter into the decision if all other factors are equal. So then it just boils down to costs ~ the smaller the cost, the more dogs can be helped. But even that criteria could & should be relaxed in specific circumstances, e.g. emergencies, natural disasters etc.

But I also think that charities can alleviate the suffering & improve the treatment of dogs worldwide in ways other than just importing them to the UK, e.g. setting up rescues in other countries, educating people in the care of dogs, promoting kind treatment of animals, lobbying governments to change laws so that dogs are treated humanely etc etc. And depending on our personal views, we can, as individuals, decide to support whatever charities we want to.

Another point I've just thought about ~ I know that, e.g. in Ireland, the harsh treatment of dogs via puppy farms, BYBs, racing kennels etc is very hard for most of us to stomach ~ but what about dogs in some countries that are bred solely for fighting, or for eating, or for fur ~ dogs that are shut in small cages for the whole of their lives & suffer terribly ~ surely those sort of dogs deserve our help, perhaps even more so?
But dont you think that UK dogs deserve a chance to find a home? Rather than having that chance lessened greatly by bringing even more dogs in, when we are already struggling to find homes for dogs currently here? I just think the dogs here should be found homes for before others are brought in... i just dont think it is fair for the dogs already here to miss out on homes coz people want to make an already desperate situation even worse.

I also agree that other countries should step up and sort things out for themselves... sadly, its the dogs who will suffer until they do, but they need to get their act together... we cant help every other country in the world...

For your last point, yes those dogs do deserve help... but wont that be up to the authorities to save those dogs? Rescues cant just wade in and take them... Fighting dogs will be PTS the vast majority of the time, and dogs bred for eating or fur probably wont be willingly handed over... the authorities would, i think, need to be the ones to take them and that would probably depend on the laws in those counties... It is heartbreaking for those dogs though.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post

Nathan Winograd has been asked the same kind of question in interview, and I believe he covers the bases well in his answer.

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=4775

". . . When the transported animals face certain death because they are in the hands of shelter managers who aren’t interested in saving them, it would be wrong to say they shouldn’t be saved by transport. Our first duty is to the animals who face certain death today. There can be no blame, therefore, for the rescue groups in high kill rate jurisdictions that are sending these dogs across the country or to other countries.

While they are working to save animals by transport, however, they and others should be working equally hard to reform their local shelters or those shelters will be killing or threatening to kill animals in perpetuity. As long as animals are regarded by shelter managers as cheap and expendable; and as long as rescuers ship them elsewhere, there is no incentive to change. That doesn’t mean the transports should stop. They shouldn’t. An animal’s life is not a bargaining chip. But the problem is not inevitable; it can be fixed . . ."

Ruby
What a great quote - its so right

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I agree, but there are only so many homes, so if we cant rehome the dogs we have already here then we wont rehome any more by bringing more dogs in... so at the end of the day, the same number of dogs will die... those dogs that have come from another country may take the place in a home that a dog already here could've had... the dogs here are just as deserving of rescue but bringing in more dogs could seal their fate of being PTS... thats the way i see it (if it made sense!).
Yes it makes sense
But I dont think it is quite as linear as that. Sometimes a person who had no intention of taking on another dog has their heart touched but a cruelty case or that special pair of eyes and they make room for that one extra
You cant save them all - but sometimes you need to save that ONE - its not more deserving than all the rest - but for some reason it just touched YOU and you cannot see it die

I know you are not - but I hate it when people suggest I was wrong to bring Mia from ireland
I spent 2 days in tears about her

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes made sense to ma and is much the same as what I think.

As to poster who asked about Scottish and Welsh dogs - as far as I know they are still part of the UK so no I don't have a problem.
What about northern ireland??

Also I am sure rescue centres have busy and quiet times
Would anyone object to rescues importing dogs at a quiet time when they have spaces in their centres and people are unable to find the dog they are looking for so go elsewhere (knowing how impatient SOME people can be if the right dog isnt there the firdt time people look they will often go elsewhere - to a litter of pups in a paper?)

In an interesting side issue
Since having Mia it has opened up lots of disscussions with people

often people ask if my 2 are brother and sister
I say no - Mia actually came from ireland

Responses to that have varied from a 7 year old giving me a lecture on being careful about puppy farms in ireland and I should make sure and see the mum of the puppy

From people asking if there is a problem out there

From several people just hugging her tight
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
If it were the right dog for your situation, and it fitted in with your family perfectly, would you not adopt it just because it came from Ireland??
I have no problem with rescues taking dogs from abroad and rehoming them over here. Many of my friends have rescue irish Collies; they are treated so badly over there and surely if you have a passion for rescue, then ANY dog is worthy of saving.
I'm interested to know, how many of the people that are anti bringing in "foreign" dogs, have rescue dogs themselves? (not for argument, i'm truly interested )

Jann xxx
All mine are rescue. I've never bought a pedigree dog from a breeder (though as a family we did have a mongrel from a byb before we knew better (the pup died of suspected heart failur) and a mongrel from a friend who's bitch jumped a 6ft fence and came back pregnant.)

With the amount of dogs available in this country, I'd be gobsmacked if the ONLY dog that matched requirements was an import from abroad...I'd be looking at exactly what the criteria was.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Did you ask if any of the dogs you were looking at were imported?
I didn't because like Julie, I wasn't aware of the issue at the time. However of my own rescues:
1 was a cruetly case taken from her previous owner.
1 was found as a stray by the dog warden
1 was thrown over the rescue's fence in the middle of the night.
1 I fostered to save him being pts as he was a failed worker.

So, no i don't think any of them were imports,

For my next rescue, I will ask (though the rescue I am likely to go to I already know that they wouldn't do this because they know there are more than enough local dogs to look after).

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
yup but thats the thing Im trying to find out
what actually are the numbers?
Because I am sure peoples oppinions would be different based on the numbers

How many dogs are imported? - and how many of them are to individuals and how many to UK rescues?
How many dogs are put to sleep in the UK purly because they cannot find a home - not for medical reasons?

If many thousands of UK dogs are put to sleep every year because there are no homes and uk rescues are importing large numbers of dogs then that would be totaly different from uk charities importing a few hunderd dogs - or if v few dogs are put to sleep because there were no homes for them

I dont know

It was the post before that had me thinking that less than 10% of the strays in ireland are actually NOT put to sleep
something like 500 strays a year saved in ireland - and where do these dogs go - I know its not all to the uk - so even if 1/2 of them do

Is it important if 240 irish strays are imported here a year?
(genuine question
)
To me, yes, on the basis that I believe you could save more than 240 dogs in this country by not importing these dogs.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Anyone fancy going and telling 42 Commando Royal Marines that they shouldn`t be bringing dogs in then?
http://www.nowzad.com/about/

thought not.
I've only read it quickly but I couldn't see that they were bringing them to the rescues in this country? Yes, the have a charity asking for uk donations, but I've already said I have no problem with that because its very clear where the money is going.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Went to a rescue in the North of England.

Presumably its OK to bring in dogs from Northern Ireland as well as it is the UK.

I find it a weird attitude that only dogs born here are worthy of homes.

rune
Yes, in theory, as NI is the UK. Though to me its still a question of best use of resources and I don't see the point of moving dogs from one place to another only to have dogs in the region their moving to being pts in their place.

And once again, no-one has said that only dogs born here are worthy of homes.

I've already provided my argument as to how not bringing in imports may actually save MORE dogs here. On the basis that all dogs' lives should have the same value, isn't saving more better?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes it makes sense
But I dont think it is quite as linear as that. Sometimes a person who had no intention of taking on another dog has their heart touched but a cruelty case or that special pair of eyes and they make room for that one extra
You cant save them all - but sometimes you need to save that ONE - its not more deserving than all the rest - but for some reason it just touched YOU and you cannot see it die

I know you are not - but I hate it when people suggest I was wrong to bring Mia from ireland

Would anyone object to rescues importing dogs at a quiet time when they have spaces in their centres and people are unable to find the dog they are looking for so go elsewhere (knowing how impatient SOME people can be if the right dog isnt there the firdt time people look they will often go elsewhere - to a litter of pups in a paper?)

Responses to that have varied from a 7 year old giving me a lecture on being careful about puppy farms in ireland and I should make sure and see the mum of the puppy

I would prefer that they contacted all the nearest council shelters and/or other rescue organisations in this country to see if anyone was in desperate need. If there was honeslty NO uk dog that was in danger of being pts through lack of rescue space, then no, I would not object to them bringing in a few (though that could still mean a UK dog being pts if the stray numbers picked up before the Irish dogs had been rehomed).
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes it makes sense

You do know NI is part of UK ? Or did I not say before that dogs from UK should be given priority ? Although unless NI does some thing soon I may change my mind - same with Wales and the puppy farming issue.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Yes it makes sense

Quiet times at the rescues I have dealt with meant one dog per run/kennel and only 2 fosters to each fosterer. So unless it could be guaranteed no dogs needed a home then I would still say we are too full.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I really dont want this thread to turn into a fight - as we are ALL passionate about this subject

Hali - yes I agree if saving 1 imported dog means MORE dogs die then that is not right

Really I cannot meaningfully debate here because I just dont know the facts
I think we would have to ask places like the dogs trust WHY and WHEN and on what criteria they import irish dogs

we need have some ideas of the numbers we are talking about and the expense

Just now it is all specualtion

and it would be better use of all our energies to see what we can get done to try and reduce the amount of puppies being born all over the world rather than condem anyone who is trying to help give some of them a chance
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes it makes sense
I understand that, but i wonder of all the dogs who are brought over here just how many are rehomed in such circumstances? I would expect it to be small.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm sorry but i highly doubt that someone could not find a suitable dog throughout the entire country. What are the chances that no dogs here suit, but then by some miracle one is brought in from another country... the choice of dogs here is wide, and some people even wait for months for a suitable dog to show up in their local rescue, it may take time but i am sure that there is always a suitable dog here.

The woman in your example, what makes her think the litter of crosses are more suitable than the thousands of rescue dogs?

Who am i to tell people what they should do with their personal money? Whether or not i agree with it. Also, a lot of the people i have heard about have brought dogs over that they have grown to know, and love, after spending weeks or months with the dog. They must already feel a sense of ownership. That isnt too much different to people who emigrate and take their dog with them... and that certainly isnt wrong. Some of those people may not have been planning to get a dog, but by fate, they stumble across a dog in need... so they arent necessarily taking another possible rescue dogs home.

Also, i think the number of dogs who are brought over in those circumstances are on a much smaller scale to those brought in by the masses through rescue.
The 2 dogs I was talking about in the beginning were funded personally by people, but then had to subsequently find new homes over here as the people who had imported them could not (for what ever reason) provide the right home for them (each case was unforeseeable).
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry - answer to the rest of your post.

I'm sorry but i highly doubt that someone could not find a suitable dog throughout the entire country. What are the chances that no dogs here suit, but then by some miracle one is brought in from another country... the choice of dogs here is wide, and some people even wait for months for a suitable dog to show up in their local rescue, it may take time but i am sure that there is always a suitable dog here.

The woman in your example, what makes her think the litter of crosses are more suitable than the thousands of rescue dogs?
I have no idea what led her to that decision - how many people have asked on here - only to be turned down by a rescue for various reasons (Kids/gardens/work hours) - if they want a dog they have to go down the puppy route.

This lady had very specific requirements and a good idea in her mind as to what she wanted...she was not rescuing just for the sake of rescuing, she had a specific type of dog in mind (the dog is now 9 and she is 87) maybe with her age she could not find a rescues centre who would home to her? However - she was looking at rescuing initially.

If you ask me each week I will have a different dog I am looking for a home for....someone has asked me through work, or via the charity shop, or a friend of a friend, or the vets etc....but it is often hard to match up those dogs with people who are looking, because, so often, people have an fixed idea of what they want. (or maybe more specifically, what they don't want)
I have no issues with that - and I agree, I would certainly not rescue a dog just to rescue it. It has to fit in with what I want.
Page 15 of 18 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >