Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kinzy123
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Can't anyone breed a bulldog x and call it a Victorian Bulldog though? I have a VB comes into work and it's nothing like the ones on the VB link. She's the size of a bullmastiff and is entirely brindle. My guess is a byb dog and a fancy label to get more cash for it. So the dog in Dawn's kennel may well be called a VB by the breeder, but may not actually be a VB, if ya get what I mean. It's kinda like all blue staffies are being labelled 'Irish' these days! It's just a trendy name to some people.
Yes a lot of people are using the name to sell pups,the 2 registries for the VB are the VBS and the VBf if pups arent registered with these it is in all likelyhood the name is just being used,shame really because a lot of people do get conned.The VBF has been approached numerous times with people having pups claiming to be VB,s and want to trgister them,as soon as parentage is given its quite clear the dogs are not VB,s. Only researching and offering advice will help people but seems on here people just want to probe this and that shame really
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No such breed as a British Bulldog???????????

There is KC reconised " Bulldog" though!!!
Sorry, I thought you owned Victorian Bulldogs

Can you show me were the UK KC calls Bulldogs anything other than Bulldogs... the breed standard is for the "Bulldog"..along with all related breed clubs, cant find one under the name of British/English Bulldog??????????
The only reason I referred to them as 'British Bulldogs' was when referencing this link, titled:

"Report from th Kennel Club/British Small Animal Veterinary Scientific Committee

Summary results of the Purebred Dog Health Survey for British Bulldogs"

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down.../hsbulldog.pdf

Originally Posted by kinzy123 View Post
as on the other thread i answered and it would be nice if a was talking to someone with knowledge of what the differ of inbreeding and linebreeding actually is haha
They amount to the same. Or is it just when someone calls it linebreeding they're obviously experienced and therefore override inheritance as we know it?

Again yet another user who doesnt know types of breedings,last post on this topic too,prefer other forums where the people are far greater knowledgable...1 linebreeding doesnt equal disaster,just look at yer KC breeds shame eh now thats massive inbreeding practices...
That's probably why the KC have banned father-daughter/brother-sister matings then.
kinzy123
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
The only reason I referred to them as 'British Bulldogs' was when referencing this link, titled:

"Report from th Kennel Club/British Small Animal Veterinary Scientific Committee

Summary results of the Purebred Dog Health Survey for British Bulldogs"

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/down.../hsbulldog.pdf

They amount to the same. Or is it just when someone calls it linebreeding they're obviously experienced and therefore override inheritance as we know it?

That's probably why the KC have banned father-daughter/brother-sister matings then.
Agreed thats why we dont do the breeding as tight
MIKEY B
New Member!
Male 

08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
This is something I was wondering on also Dawn, as the consensus from the enthuthiasts regarding these dogs , is they are healthier than the KC Bulldog, yet no one seems to want to give out any info on the health screening of said dogs.

Considering the breeds that have been used to create the VB, one wonders how they can state "no known health problems"

Will be intersting to here the answer to the questions.
Dont know quite how ive got involved in this ? I`m just a new owner , not breeder , So please don`t be to harsh on me !! I do however intend to use the my male dog for breeding He will be hip/elbow scored , Dna tested for Urate stones , Thinking of talking to vet about about heart tests ,although i`m not aware of any prob in VB .(as will any bitch he is mated to) Not aware of anyone saying there are no inherent probs in breed has as been said all breeds have thier own probs its about trying to improve and eradicate them . Believe the vbf leaves it to individuals conscience on what testing is done , I don`t agree with this ,but yer can only work from inside to try to make these tests compulsary , This is why in my 1st post i said "THE IDEA !! " is to create a fitter healthier bulldog with more of a late 1800`s look NOT that they are as a definative i dont have scientific evidence ta back that up But i do believe they are a fitter more athletic dog than Kc . Come on lets face it there is a major problen with KC Bulldog ,if there wasnt they wouldna be trying to change the standard would they? My dogs concieved naturally,born naturally thats more than yer can say for a lot of Kc , New standard , longer legs , longer muzzle , smaller head ( and no i`m not quoting just off top of my head ) My dogs already have this , but now i need to get tests done to prove other health issues It will take time but it will be done (with my dogs and any matings ) Dawn as for VB being boarded as i`m sure you are aware plentyof people will crooss a Bulldog with a staff or such like and call it what they will But i would be suprissed if it had vbf or vbs paper work with it ,but who knows ? And finally jackbox couldna let it rest and i know you wont !! But this name thing disregarding dictionary Don`t most other countries call the Kc Bulldog the English Bulldog , What makes the KC right ? also regarding the BRITISH BULLDOG CLUB (british isles ) is it not just Kc dogs that can join and if so does this not add to confusion ? Again dont forget i am new to this forum and Vb`s i am well aware you and Dawn know more than me personally regarding these issues , But this doesna mean i have to agree!! Also can i ask yuo what testing you do on your dogs (jackbox and Dawn ) Not ment to be confrontational just interested to see if anything realavent to Bulldog breeds !
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by MIKEY B View Post
Dont know quite how ive got involved in this ? I`m just a new owner , not breeder , So please don`t be to harsh on me !! I do however intend to use the my male dog for breeding He will be hip/elbow scored , Dna tested for Urate stones , Thinking of talking to vet about about heart tests ,although i`m not aware of any prob in VB .(as will any bitch he is mated to) Not aware of anyone saying there are no inherent probs in breed has as been said all breeds have thier own probs its about trying to improve and eradicate them . Believe the vbf leaves it to individuals conscience on what testing is done , I don`t agree with this ,but yer can only work from inside to try to make these tests compulsary , This is why in my 1st post i said "THE IDEA !! " is to create a fitter healthier bulldog with more of a late 1800`s look NOT that they are as a definative i dont have scientific evidence ta back that up But i do believe they are a fitter more athletic dog than Kc . Come on lets face it there is a major problen with KC Bulldog ,if there wasnt they wouldna be trying to change the standard would they? My dogs concieved naturally,born naturally thats more than yer can say for a lot of Kc , New standard , longer legs , longer muzzle , smaller head ( and no i`m not quoting just off top of my head ) My dogs already have this , but now i need to get tests done to prove other health issues It will take time but it will be done (with my dogs and any matings ) Dawn as for VB being boarded as i`m sure you are aware plentyof people will crooss a Bulldog with a staff or such like and call it what they will But i would be suprissed if it had vbf or vbs paper work with it ,but who knows ? And finally jackbox couldna let it rest and i know you wont !! But this name thing disregarding dictionary Don`t most other countries call the Kc Bulldog the English Bulldog , What makes the KC right ? also regarding the BRITISH BULLDOG CLUB (british isles ) is it not just Kc dogs that can join and if so does this not add to confusion ? Again dont forget i am new to this forum and Vb`s i am well aware you and Dawn know more than me personally regarding these issues , But this doesna mean i have to agree!! Also can i ask yuo what testing you do on your dogs (jackbox and Dawn ) Not ment to be confrontational just interested to see if anything realavent to Bulldog breeds !

Firstly Micky, I forgot to say, your dogs are lovely, just to get that out of the way.

Regards the name of the Bulldog,. of cause I am aware the breed will have a British/English placed in front of it, and especially from other countries.

My point (last time honest) is the KC and breed club stanard refers to the Bulldog, with nothing else added.

Its a mute point I know, but many breeders of different breeds will be extremely corrective of anyone who mispronounces their breeds name.

The consensus from this an the other thread is that the VB is and has so many break away groups it is as far away from being a breed as it proberbly was in its infancy... and yes as you say, anyone can claim to have a VB, and thats the downfall of a "type" unregistered breed

As there is not recorded official standard for these dogs, how are you ever to get recognition for type.

RE- heath as we are also seeing, there is no consistency, the claims keep coming they are healthier than the KC reconised breed, yet where is the proof, it states on some of the links only 2 c-sections are allowed so according to those who dismiss the Bulldog, how are they any different.

Even with the minor differences, you still have a large heavy bodied , short legged, Brachycephalic breed, with poor hips and probably all of the inherited ailments that go with the breeds involved in the making of these dogs.

Re. health tests of my breed, they test for heart . unfortunately in this country hip scores are not mandatory, (I disagree) we are also working extremely hard to find and eradicate the lines and course of Cardiomyopathy in our breed which is a terrible killer.

Personally my dogs have not been screened as neither of them are breeding material, and both are neutered
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by MIKEY B View Post
My breed doesnt require testing at present for any condition. However if I breed a litter here, the dam will be tested for hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and will be heart tested each year.

The VB I boarded was a VB, its pointless trying to say it wasnt and for the record, the breeders of VB should be ashamed of themselves if they allow crossbreeding, or if they sell to people who will do it themselves.
MIKEY B
New Member!
Male 

08-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
My breed doesnt require testing at present for any condition. However if I breed a litter here, the dam will be tested for hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and will be heart tested each year.

The VB I boarded was a VB, its pointless trying to say it wasnt and for the record, the breeders of VB should be ashamed of themselves if they allow crossbreeding, or if they sell to people who will do it themselves.
Thats a bit harsh innit Believe the Vb has 2 regerstries Vbs and vbf if its not on either of them could be anything ? but i see your mind is made up on this ! As for cross breeding surely every breed starts out this way ? to get to a type yer want with enough bloodline in it , i`m not trying to be objectionable here i would just like your opinion
kinzy123
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

what a kop out my breed doesnt require testing just because the KC does not implement doesnt mean it doesnt require it....All breeds have problems.Oh you must have one of these breeds whom are 100% genetically healthy,get your heads out of the clouds

think what you like he may have been called a VB but he is NOT one FACT,he is NOT registered thats like me saying i have an english bulldog oh wait i cant HES NOT REGISTERED cant have it both ways, now please explain why i should be ashamed? because i find great homes for my pups?i give a health guarantee ir maybe its my support to new owners? now i am lost...If you dont like them just leave the thread nobodies forcing you to post.If you want to say anything about say it to my face or shut up. Stick to your own choice in breed cause you know **** all on the VB
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
what a kop out my breed doesnt require testing just because the KC does not implement doesnt mean it doesnt require it....All breeds have problems.Oh you must have one of these breeds whom are 100% genetically healthy,get your heads out of the clouds

think what you like he may have been called a VB but he is NOT one FACT,he is NOT registered thats like me saying i have an english bulldog oh wait i cant HES NOT REGISTERED cant have it both ways, now please explain why i should be ashamed? because i find great homes for my pups?i give a health guarantee ir maybe its my support to new owners? now i am lost...If you dont like them just leave the thread nobodies forcing you to post.If you want to say anything about say it to my face or shut up. Stick to your own choice in breed cause you know **** all on the VB
john, these people have their minds made up, and you could talk to them till the cows come home and it will make no difference, "how do ye know the dogs a hundred years ago were fitter and healthier" thats what your dealing with. they want proof, so did the jury at OJ Simpson's trial.
kinzy123
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by dardar View Post
john, these people have their minds made up, and you could talk to them till the cows come home and it will make no difference, "how do ye know the dogs a hundred years ago were fitter and healthier" thats what your dealing with. they want proof, so did the jury at OJ Simpson's trial.
Oh so true so true i gave them proof read the monograph and then tell me ENGLISH bulldogs could do their tasks,Our victorians would struggle to do what they did but would have a better chance to due differ structures...Some people just peeve me off when they dont even know a breed and then think with a day looking on internet they are masters, I was a little rude but hey whats for you wont go bye you,put up pics of some pups i,ve bred just waiting on them being dissected now..lol...
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 >