Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
LOL. I guess you and I have a different ideas of balanced is. If your idea is of balanced is focusing on irresponsible breeders who cull puppies, imagery of dogs having epileptic fits, irresponsible breeders who purposely breed dogs with serious health conditions, etc., etc., I dread to think of what your idea of unbalanced is. If you take the extremes of ANY practice, you can put together a shocking and/or emotive film. It really isn't hard. That is what the makers went for here -- the shock factor. Congratulations to them I guess, because they succeeded!
But do all of those things go on?
Do all of those things need to stop?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
He produced a dog made up to Champion in the USA that developed symptomatic SM, had surgery, and died due to complications of another PSOM surgery.

http://www.ckcsc.org/ckcsc/healthreg...a?OpenDocument
Ah I stand corrected, haven't had time to peruse in depth information about this dog as I would steer clear from anyone who didn't withdraw a dog from stud that had the malformation & it has taken me 4 nearly 5 years for me to find a puppy from two generations of scanned normal dogs that was the sex & colour, whose sire was over 5(as in solid instead of parti)whose breeder isn't involved in breeding for show alone, but breeding for health.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
There are a million and one terrible things that go on in the world that need to stop. Unfortunately, the reality of life is that terrible things will always occur, regardless of how much information we have. You could put the strictest of legislations on dog breeding, showing and ownership, and there would STILL be irresponsible breeders, genetic health problems, animal cruelty, etc.

Biased documentaries generally do far more harm than good.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, for what it's worth, I think she raised several severe problems within different breeds, making the general public aware of these very serious health issues which can and do affect many dogs.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:33 PM
There are a million and one terrible things that go on in the world that need to stop. Unfortunately, the reality of life is that terrible things will always occur, regardless of how much information we have. You could put the strictest of legislations on dog breeding, showing and ownership, and there would STILL be irresponsible breeders, genetic health problems, animal cruelty, etc.

Biased documentaries generally do far more harm than good.

You didn't answer my questions though....does it go on and did it need to be brought out into the open?
If the answers are yes then the documentary absolutely did what it said on the box...'Pedigree Dogs EXPOSED!'
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:38 PM

The fact is, Average Joe who watched that program didn't come away with the same conclusions that clued-in doggy people did. To a person that is (innocently) ignorant about proper breeding practices, the message that the program sent was that the KC is bad, pedigree breeders are bad and that selective breeding is producing diseased 'mutants'.
And this is the way I saw it, I have said before that a number of times I have had to defend my healthy RR when people have pointed at his ridge and knowingly say spina bifida.
I think her intentions started off pure but then JH realised this could be her defining moment and all balance went out the window. This doc could have been great and a true picture of what is wrong in the world of dog breeding but instead it went down the cheap route of Nazi visuals and sound bites. If she had done this honestly, she would probably have found a lot of support from all the people that she has alienated.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I disagree. I think it did give a balanced view.It highlighted the worst cases and rightly so. It wasn't about good breeding. It did talk about the other good practice that goes on...but sadly not everyone does breed well in the show world and everyone knows it. It's about time everyone was open about it.

I think, from the many people I have spoken to out and about (those that don't show...I am talking about pet owners here) that they are much more aware of the need for health tests etc. Of course the numpties that are clueless are still around, but in fairness they probably didn't watch...not their sort of tele. The pet owners I've spoken to are all much more concerned with sourcing a decent pup and asking about health tests. Surely thats good?????
Surely to give a balanced view , you need to give all sides of an argument.

I must have missed that bit in her programme, regarding the "other good practices that go on"??
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Netpon;1626044]
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
But the bitch with the symptomatic SM was not related to the Stud dog shown(this wasn't mentioned of course)& it wasn't even KC registered(with should have meant by JH's logic that it shouldn't have SM) [/QUOTE

So what? It doesn't matter which dog they showed with SM, the fact is there are KC reg dogs with SM - I have seen many of them with my own eyes unfortunately.

I don't believe there is or will be a huge rush for non KC reg dogs just because people believe them to be healthier. The problem is known to be related to the breed not KC registration. There will always been idiots in the GP who don't do any research before buying a pup and just look for the easiest and quickest route to getting one i.e. BYB and puppy farms.
Well the number of Cavaliers seen by my vet with SM are mainly from either one of two show kennels(one of which has had all their breeding dogs scanned & they are normal !)or from one of many pet/BYB whose dogs are not KC registered & the vast majority are not KC registered.

I run a pet DTC & the number of people turning up with non KC pedigree puppies has tripled since that program & all the proud owners have stated they bought the puppy because all KC dogs are unhealthy(ironical really as several of the puppies have inherited conditions from blindness from CEA to epileptic fits with HD, ED & slipping patellae in between) & yes one of the unreg puppies is a Cavalier with MRI scanned SM !
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

It wasn't a very balanced view at all but it was an excellent programme that highlighted the need for change in a lot of breed standards.

That cannot be denied.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
And this is the way I saw it, I have said before that a number of times I have had to defend my healthy RR when people have pointed at his ridge and knowingly say spina bifida.
I think her intentions started off pure but then JH realised this could be her defining moment and all balance went out the window. This doc could have been great and a true picture of what is wrong in the world of dog breeding but instead it went down the cheap route of Nazi visuals and sound bites. If she had done this honestly, she would probably have found a lot of support from all the people that she has alienated.
I don't think she would ever have got support for saying that some show dogs ahve problems and a re badly bred...
it surely was a true picture of what is worong in the world of show dog breeding?
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Surely to give a balanced view , you need to give all sides of an argument.

I must have missed that bit in her programme, regarding the "other good practices that go on"??
I think it was Rubylover gave some quotes?
Page 15 of 28 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »