View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm a trainer with three stooge dogs. My advice was refering to my clients with thier dogs and my wya of dealing with it.

If you have a social naive dog and no stooge dog I recomend a slightly different approach.

Monitor your dogs approach to others very closely and when you see him become too intense (before he reaches the other dog) call him off. Repeat this as many times as it takes for your dog to approach in a calmer fashion and relax, you can then allow him to get closer, having taken the wind out of his sails the dog will approach better and interact better.

Its a longer process which is why I don't do it when my guys are available.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 10:56 PM
No way would I use that little frightened terrier as any kind of stooge.

That is what I meant by knowing and understanding the dogs.

I simply wouldn't put him through the stress of it.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the explanation Doberman, makes sense. Have to see whether I can adapt it in some way, there's literally nowhere to hide on the field we use. It's not like I've got anything to lose really.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
No way would I use that little frightened terrier as any kind of stooge.
He's an uncomfortable little guy, not happy with his job. I'd expect him to resign if he could and find a quieter position somewhere else, or take early retirement.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
We have lots of dog/dog interaction going on all the time with our two groups of dogs and visiting dogs and recently a neighbours three on a regular basis.

IMO It is not always a good idea to let dogs tell other dogs off----it requires a good knowledge of both dogs.

Obviously this is not in a training situation but I have had dogs stay who were described as aggressive to other dogs or not able to cope with other dogs. Once I refused a collie who couldn't have coped and who would IMO have ended up worse. Others have come and through CAREFUL introductions and good control of all the dogs involved have not only coped but become better able to cope generally.

At the moment I have a situation where the little ex feral dog is nipping the neighbours young dog hard when it runs----so today I will walk Pippin first and avoid the situation. Had he been a 'normal' dog I would have put a harness and a line on him and worked on it.

I do feel for people who have aggressive dogs on lead, my GSD was a bit lethal and the number of people who told me their dog was 'all right' as it came haring up!

Just my thoughts.

rune

Good point Rune about not all dogs being suitable as "mentors". My boy Tai is excellent, but I agree, you need to choose carefully. However, if you trust your dog as I do Tai, then I am more than happy to let him tell another dog off, safe in the knowledge that he absolutely will not hurt the other dog in any way. He has an escalating scale of warnings, culminating in a full-on pin if and when necessary. Inflicting no worse injury than a bit of saliva and loose fluff.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I'm a trainer with three stooge dogs. My advice was refering to my clients with thier dogs and my wya of dealing with it.

If you have a social naive dog and no stooge dog I recomend a slightly different approach.

Monitor your dogs approach to others very closely and when you see him become too intense (before he reaches the other dog) call him off. Repeat this as many times as it takes for your dog to approach in a calmer fashion and relax, you can then allow him to get closer, having taken the wind out of his sails the dog will approach better and interact better.

This is EXACTLY what we did with Tai, Adam, when we first took him on 2 or 3 years ago. He had a bad habit of rushing full pelt across to say hello to other dogs. Not all owners, or indeed dogs, appreciate a large hairy wolf-lookalike coming at them at high speed, but I managed to teach him not to do this, but to approach calmly, and if the other dog or owner isn't happy, I can call Tai back to me and put him on the lead or whatever is necessary

Its a longer process which is why I don't do it when my guys are available.

A calm, well-balanced dog is the best teacher of all I think. Tai has done wonders with our Bolshy Ben!

Adam
Excellent post, well said
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15