Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Repeated at 12.30 later tonight.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Heidi got a good jolt going over the wall.
Loved the dogs, not the prong collars, would like to do the assault course, someone send me there, I'll borrow Hunter!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:19 PM
On contrast to the first episode where highly-trained dogs were also deployed, I can't say I liked this episode!

While I understand much has been cut, as is the norm, the attitude of these dogs appeared to be anxious resignation while they were dangled off a 'cliff' and dunked underwater. I didn't see any flicker of joy or happiness from these dogs at any time, unlike in the first show where the dogs were clearly happy and bouncy when not working. They seemed unusually subdued as if life was all work and no play.

The woman with the large mastiff that has bitten three people quite severely - well, in truth, that dog should have been under a DDA Sec3 control order, or at the very least taken from her and put into a better home. I was aghast at that!!!!

But extremely pleased to see her being the 'victim' in a bite suit so she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end of a big scary dog attacking her.... too bad she wimped out at the top dog taking her down.

It's not easy watching, though and while I understand some dogs DO need this kind of training for military use, I don't think they needed to dangle so badly in the hands of amateurs who clearly didn't get it right, and likely caused those dogs some mental if not physical suffering during the exercises.

Show me some dogs that are happy in their work next time, please.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes the dogs looked really stressed and were definitely suffering mentally!

Their tails were between their legs, there was a lot of licking of lips and yawning, and ears pinned back. Never seen so many stressed and unhappy dogs. Shocking.

What wonderful thing it was to see such control in such high drive dogs, how responsive they were when a quiet voice was all that was needed, and what superb stable temperaments they had, being able to be handled by complete strangers.

And bouncy dogs is NOT what is needed in special ops dogs.

Very touching to see the dogs with his head on the girl's lap being stroked quietly.

Absolutely FANTASTIC.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:40 PM
I agree with your post SB however it would have been nice to see such control without the prong collars.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What wonderful thing it was to see such control in such high drive dogs, how responsive they were when a quiet voice was all that was needed, and what superb stable temperaments they had, being able to be handled by complete strangers.
Well I knew I could count on you to pick up on what I saw and criticise it

These dogs were pure tools and appeared to have as much life in them as a spanner.

I saw ears back and worried eyes frequently, as if they were just plasticine in the handler's control.

I didn't see any dogs looking eager, pleased, happy - but of course all that might have been sent to the cutting room floor.

And when "No2" [was he a poo?] took that dog underwater he fouled up big time - I didn't think the dog understood his command - "Water" sounds hugely different from an English accent to an American/Canadian one - and when they got up from the beam the dog was flailing around and panicking.

If that's what you like in a dog then so be it, but I preferred the big happy grins and joie de vivre of the Malinois in the first show, as compared to these dogs.... and both had important jobs to do.

If these dogs do what's required in the hands of the professional handlers - then fine... but in the hands of the amateurs, I saw them causing the dogs distress and it disturbed me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Obviously we were watching two different shows!

As for having as much life in them as a spanner, yeah right!

ROFLMAO

Spanners often bite like this.

I find it interesting how people confuse focus and control with being lifeless when it is patently obvious that these dogs are anything but!

As of course if they WERE they would be about as much use as a military dog as a chocolate teapot.

Yes the ARE tools, the CORRECT tools for the job.

A dog that is bouncing about with a lolling tongue and not concentrating on their job is likely to get themselves blown up as well as the troops they are there to help!

If my life and that of my colleagues was on the line, I would have any of these dogs next to me over any other example I have seen on this series.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh dear, I am going to watch the repeate - bit worried what I am going to see!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2012, 11:57 PM
That makes sense now ...lol
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:34 AM
yuck, didnt like that one at all!!
Yeah sure the owner of a dangerous dog with totaly no other help at all turned her dog around in a month just by changing her tone of voice!!!

and the absailing bit - dogs basically dropped of the side and treated like a sack of spuds with the guy yelling 'now thats training' training WHAT?? as far as i could see the dogs had been 'trained' that they had no choice but to put up with all the manhandeling that anyone wanted to put them tru
it would have been easy to teach the dogs it was fun - but nope - just teach them they have to put up with it

and being dropped so their full weight is stopped by the harness - bl00dy stupid!

and the tone of voice thing really annoys me
the dogs had a rubbish stay and would only stay when the handlers shouted at them enough

a dog can be taught to perform 100% with only hand signals - or whispers!!

and anyways - it was them shouting at trained dogs - not learning how to actually train the dogs in the first place - so now they will be shouting commands at their dogs and assuming they have the tone of voice wrong because the dog dosent do it - when they have never been taught it in the first place

Stupid tv show that does nothing to help people learn how to train dogs
Page 15 of 43 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »