View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:21 AM
No - dog aggression is certainly not inevitable.

Yes, because of their breeding, staffies may have a tendency that is greater than other dogs to develop dog aggression....But the majority of DA staffies I have come across have been attacked by another dog in the past and thats what has turned them.

Staffies are not normally the fight starters from what I have seen - they are just extremely quick to defend themselves. Some dogs take an immediate dislike to them - I dont know if they give off a body language that some dogs dont like.

What absolutely infuriates me is people who let their dogs run up to other dogs off lead . My Staffy has been attacked by 5 off lead black labs - and this is when he was nicely walking on the lead. He did not do a thing wrong, he has always been very submissive to other dogs despite at the time being entire. Now he is extremely nervous of black dogs, and these irresponsible owners are to blame - not my dog. If Zulu had retaliated he would have surely got the blame. I am a responsible owner - he is not off lead when there are other dogs around, I ASK people before I let him say hello to another dog and as soon as I see him get uncomfortable then we leave, no questions asked. If only more dog owners could take the same attitude!

What also makes me mad is when people think that a DA dog is a human aggressive dog, when the 2 are entirely different things and one doesnt suddenly become the other!
JAG007
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Zuluandnaomi View Post
No - dog aggression is certainly not inevitable.

Yes, because of their breeding, staffies may have a tendency that is greater than other dogs to develop dog aggression....But the majority of DA staffies I have come across have been attacked by another dog in the past and thats what has turned them.

Staffies are not normally the fight starters from what I have seen - they are just extremely quick to defend themselves. Some dogs take an immediate dislike to them - I dont know if they give off a body language that some dogs dont like.

What absolutely infuriates me is people who let their dogs run up to other dogs off lead . My Staffy has been attacked by 5 off lead black labs - and this is when he was nicely walking on the lead. He did not do a thing wrong, he has always been very submissive to other dogs despite at the time being entire. Now he is extremely nervous of black dogs, and these irresponsible owners are to blame - not my dog. If Zulu had retaliated he would have surely got the blame. I am a responsible owner - he is not off lead when there are other dogs around, I ASK people before I let him say hello to another dog and as soon as I see him get uncomfortable then we leave, no questions asked. If only more dog owners could take the same attitude!

What also makes me mad is when people think that a DA dog is a human aggressive dog, when the 2 are entirely different things and one doesnt suddenly become the other!
what a good post - thank you

My Stafford Bitch was attacked by a black lab and a GSD as a young pup and as a result she is very aware of all dogs around her and i can't blame her as she now wears a two inch scar on he hind leg wher the GSD jumped up and ripped her leg open whilst she was head height having moments before having her rib cage pierrced by the black lab in 5 different places and all at the tender age of 5 months and whilst on lead !!!! The other owner told me it was my fault her dog ran at my pup and attacked her - i was minding my own business and it was hers that were off lead and out of control
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by JAG007 View Post
what a good post - thank you

My Stafford Bitch was attacked by a black lab and a GSD as a young pup and as a result she is very aware of all dogs around her and i can't blame her as she now wears a two inch scar on he hind leg wher the GSD jumped up and ripped her leg open whilst she was head height having moments before having her rib cage pierrced by the black lab in 5 different places and all at the tender age of 5 months and whilst on lead !!!! The other owner told me it was my fault her dog ran at my pup and attacked her - i was minding my own business and it was hers that were off lead and out of control
Aw poor girl. I really think its disgusting how some people treat our dogs. I am very aware of the damage my boy could do if he was provoked and I now go out of my way to avoid those situations. If i see an off lead dog coming towards us I will more than happily shout to see them off - dont care how much of an idiot I look! If Zulu retaliated, which he hasnt done really so far apart from the last time he was attacked, then he would no doubt get the blame just because of his breed - never mind the charging, growling dog that "just wanted to say hello". One of the black lab owners even had the cheek to tell me that its because Zulu was on the lead, dogs on lead are more aggressive. Either that or Zulu didnt like it when his dog suddenly grabbed him by the face! I wonder which one!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2011, 04:52 PM
hey folks..i have 2 pits and 2 dogos.dog to dog aggresion.in my opinion is,. not inevitable ...its a part of there language...i have a pretty good balanced pack.and allow them there own space.1 acer fenced..i let them be dogs and practice the pack dynamic with little intervention...i must....whatch them at all times ....they are capable of killing one an other...but....its about what you do with your dogs before you let them out on there own....i have a pup.pit.3 mothes old.who is just now entering the pack....oh boy!!!!takes some hard knocks and is learning quick!!! the first time out alone with the pack was hard to whatch...did i do all the right things?........well i think so the pup is still alive..... dog aggresion.its as simple as a dog saying no....and as complex as dog that kills for fun..imo.......worked alot with dangerious breeds as otheres would call it ..i choose to call them the powerfull...respectfully
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 08:30 PM
My two staffies never start anything.If they walk past normal friendly dogs they're fine, but if any dog starts on them they will finish it.My bugbear is peeps who leave their dogs offlead n let them run up to mine
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-02-2011, 09:02 PM
hey sally.mine also...powerfull and confident..i do have the abiliyt ...call them off.....but in a red zone ....no dog will comply..its about when and how you do it....my will let another sniff them....if there is one wrong move the other dog ..gets the picture fast.....
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hey sally.mine also...powerfull and confident..i do have the abiliyt ...call them off.....but in a red zone ....no dog will comply..its about when and how you do it....my will let another sniff them....if there is one wrong move the other dog ..gets the picture fast.....
Exactly
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
hey folks..i have 2 pits and 2 dogos.dog to dog aggresion.in my opinion is,. not inevitable ...its a part of there language...i have a pretty good balanced pack.and allow them there own space.1 acer fenced..i let them be dogs and practice the pack dynamic with little intervention...i must....whatch them at all times ....they are capable of killing one an other...but....its about what you do with your dogs before you let them out on there own....i have a pup.pit.3 mothes old.who is just now entering the pack....oh boy!!!!takes some hard knocks and is learning quick!!! the first time out alone with the pack was hard to whatch...did i do all the right things?........well i think so the pup is still alive..... dog aggresion.its as simple as a dog saying no....and as complex as dog that kills for fun..imo.......worked alot with dangerious breeds as otheres would call it ..i choose to call them the powerfull...respectfully
So you allow your dogs to fight it out to achieve pack position? But you have to intervene?

And you have put a 3 month old pup into an already volatile pack who feel the need to exert their authority over each other regularly? 'the pup is still alive'!!!!! You found it hard to watch what? The pup being attacked by your other dogs?

I recently brought a new pup, same age as yours, into my home. He didn't need to be beaten up or risk his life so he could 'fit it'. He is a bullbreed but the softest dog you could meet. I just don't understand this mentality where people think it's ok for their dogs to fight it out.

Dogs that are encouraged/allowed to be aggressive are very dangerous dogs.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
So you allow your dogs to fight it out to achieve pack position? But you have to intervene?

And you have put a 3 month old pup into an already volatile pack who feel the need to exert their authority over each other regularly? 'the pup is still alive'!!!!! You found it hard to watch what? The pup being attacked by your other dogs?

I recently brought a new pup, same age as yours, into my home. He didn't need to be beaten up or risk his life so he could 'fit it'. He is a bullbreed but the softest dog you could meet. I just don't understand this mentality where people think it's ok for their dogs to fight it out.

Dogs that are encouraged/allowed to be aggressive are very dangerous dogs.
mmm think I missed all that
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2011, 06:54 PM
someones been watching too much CM
Page 14 of 18 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »