Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No, it is people like YOU who are the problem, who think it perfectly acceptable to litter the planet with plastic bags which take several months to biodegrade!

The very best, most e.f. way to dispose of dog waste is to bury it in the soil, bury it in wet sand on a beach or flick it into the undergrowth or hedgerow if possible.

By picking it up in a plastic bag, even a biodegradable one, you are unnecessarily polluting the planet. You could just as easily, if possible, bury your dog faeces or flick it away to naturally decompose and provide the soil with valuable nutrients. I accept that in a park or childrens play area or in town or on a pavement this is not possible, but for me who is lucky enough to only ever walk my dogs in woodland or open fields, I never have to carry poo bags and thus pollute the planet further.

The beach of course is the very best place of all to dispose of dog waste. Erosion by sea water and sand very quickly breaks up buried faeces - below the tide line of course to a depth of about one foot minimum. Salt water whilst not antibacterial would certainly destroy any parasites in the waste, and it is the parasites along with odour that are the most unpleasant things about faeces. Both are dealt with immediately the tide comes in ... perfect!!

So no, I am not part of the problem at all
How would you feel if your dogs were no longer allowed any free running on your beaches?

These are the consequences of behaviour such as yours I am afraid.

More and more we live in an anti dog society, and attitudes, such as this, are sadly pushing it further that way.

It is a shame you cannot see the damage your attitude does to responsible dog owners.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
How would you feel if your dogs were no longer allowed any free running on your beaches?

These are the consequences of behaviour such as yours I am afraid.

More and more we live in an anti dog society, and attitudes, such as this, are sadly pushing it further that way.

It is a shame you cannot see the damage your attitude does to responsible dog owners.

We should all care far more about the damage done to the planet, quite frankly!!

I do like the side of the biodegradable paper bags and cardboard shovels though - I will look into those. But if I can't get hold of any, I and my trusty spade will continue to bury faeces on beaches and in the woods.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 10:56 AM
We should all care far more about the damage done to the planet, quite frankly!!

I do like the side of the biodegradable paper bags and cardboard shovels though - I will look into those. But if I can't get hold of any, I and my trusty spade will continue to bury faeces on beaches and in the woods.
We live in an area surrounded by beaches....many of which are now dogs banned. Some in winter as well as summer.

I care about being able to have good places to walk my dogs and I use biodegradable poo bags.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Burying poo on a beach?! Honestly?!
YUCK!

Will remember some people do that before I sit down and enjoy my picnic next time!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
We live in an area surrounded by beaches....many of which are now dogs banned. Some in winter as well as summer.

I care about being able to have good places to walk my dogs and I use biodegradable poo bags.
fine, continue to pollute the planet then. All better still, use the paper and cardboard ones, then everyone's happy
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Burying poo on a beach?! Honestly?!
YUCK!

Will remember some people do that before I sit down and enjoy my picnic next time!
Hevvur, you clearly (and I don't blame you!!) have not read the whole thread!! I have made it quite clear that:-

1. I bury deep, at least 1 foot down, well below the high tide mark ON WET SAND ... presumably you do not sit on soaking wet soggy sand?

2. I only bury in the winter months because despite the beach I am talking about being 6 miles long and a mile wide, there is always a small chance that a child could choose just the spot I have buried Fido's doings to attempt to dig down to Australia.

3. It is not YUCK, it is very environmentally friendly. Tidal action and sand erosion break down the waste within hours, rendering it harmless. My dogs are wormed regularly, so not even any parasitic worry - although the salt would kill any parasites and eggs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 12:49 PM
No, it is people like YOU who are the problem, who think it perfectly acceptable to litter the planet with plastic bags which take several months to biodegrade!

The very best, most e.f. way to dispose of dog waste is to bury it in the soil, bury it in wet sand on a beach or flick it into the undergrowth or hedgerow if possible.

By picking it up in a plastic bag, even a biodegradable one, you are unnecessarily polluting the planet. You could just as easily, if possible, bury your dog faeces or flick it away to naturally decompose and provide the soil with valuable nutrients. I accept that in a park or childrens play area or in town or on a pavement this is not possible, but for me who is lucky enough to only ever walk my dogs in woodland or open fields, I never have to carry poo bags and thus pollute the planet further.

The beach of course is the very best place of all to dispose of dog waste. Erosion by sea water and sand very quickly breaks up buried faeces - below the tide line of course to a depth of about one foot minimum. Salt water whilst not antibacterial would certainly destroy any parasites in the waste, and it is the parasites along with odour that are the most unpleasant things about faeces. Both are dealt with immediately the tide comes in ... perfect!!

So no, I am not part of the problem at all
This is why education of dog owners is so important---and it is also why it will never work.

You can't educate some people and some people will always know best.

Sad.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Do you think she just relised whats been buried along with her ...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
This is why education of dog owners is so important---and it is also why it will never work.

You can't educate some people and some people will always know best.

Sad.

rune
Ah but you're missing the point. Not only was I extremely well educated, I was taught to think for myself!!

Any intelligent person would realise that we cannot go on polluting the planet as we do. Plastic bags (the non-biodegradable ones) spend decades in landfill before decomposing, if not longer. Even biodegradables take up to 6 months to decompose, and leave god knows what chemical poisons in the soil.

Dog poo is totally harmless if the dog is regularly wormed. It is organic, and breaks down in the soil totally naturally to provide nutrients for essential bacteria.

That said, it is extremely unpleasant to walk in the stuff, and if the dog is not regularly wormed, can carry parasites dangerous to humans, particularly children, which is why we pick up. We don't pick up because signs tell us to do so .... clearly, some signs tell us THE EXACT OPPOSITE!! They encourage us to stick and flick - as per the forestry commission notices that someone kindly posted up ... we pick up because it is the responsible thing to do. However, if the means is at our disposal, then some of us who have been taught to think for ourselves can put the old cogs into whirring motion and work out that burying the stuff in the soil in a woodland, or flicking it into the hedge, or burying it deep down in wet sand on a massive beach in the depths of winter, is even better as not only are you causing absolutely no pollution whatsoever, you are actually being very organic into the bargain ... putting valuable nutrients back into the soil.

That's the logical reasoning and interpretation that an excellent education of being taught to think for oneself and not mindlessly follow the masses does for one!

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Do you think she just relised whats been buried along with her ...
OMG!!! YES !!!!!!

Very funny, I love it!!
Page 14 of 26 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »