View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm so pleased to read this H. It's lovely to know that Zena is now deffo on the mend.
There's been such a lot of fab information across this thread, most of it I knew nothing about.
Hope everything continues well with Zena now.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Good to know Zena is feeling a lot better.

Well I asked the vet and apparently NO products bought from pet shops etc are as effective as the ones from a vet and that includes PAH unless its from their vet maybe. Even the toothpaste isn't as effective as they don't contain the same actual active ingredients/effective amounts of certain ingredients.

I have had two pets with ill effects from Milbemax, so I use panacur or if thats not available, drontal.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

Well I asked the vet and apparently NO products bought from pet shops etc are as effective as the ones from a vet and that includes PAH unless its from their vet maybe. Even the toothpaste isn't as effective as they don't contain the same actual active ingredients/effective amounts of certain ingredients.

I have had two pets with ill effects from Milbemax, so I use panacur or if thats not available, drontal.
I agree, I think anything bought from P@H etc to get rid of worms is wasting your money. I'm still taking the preventative route though, because one day you can get rid of all worms from your dog if he has them by administering the Drontil Plus or Panacur, but the very next day they could start picking them up again from the ground. So to my way of thinking, once this wormer is finished, the very next day I will be trying out those pumpkin seeds ground up in her daily food, just to see whether it keeps her clear of them forever. They don't profess to RID your dog of worms, they just say that the worms will not want to make a host of your dog with the environment it will have with feeding pumpkin seeds.

Thanks Vicki.xx

thanks Gill, she's really, really on the mend today as Dave said she hasn't stopped all morning. She's just had her 3rd dose with a small meal and gone to bed, ahhhhhhhh peace at last then, well, for at least 2 hours!!!xxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
So pleased to hear that Zena is on the mend Huge relief
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Great news
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi Helena - sorry I've think I've slightly lost the plot with all these drugs (Yes, I know it's easily done ) Could we have a summary please:-

You started her on Metronidazole - Is this the anti-biotic thingy

Then the vet switched her onto Panacur (Which is similar to Drontal )

Then you're trying the crushed Pumkin seeds as no harm can be done with them and they may help to make Giardia more difficult to establish itself in the tummy, is that correct

But you said the Panacur is the drug that is going to knock out the Giardia so I'm kinda wondering why the vet didn't prescribe that first

It would probably help if the AB's and anti worming meds we use here had the same names, but they don't, the names are all completely different and unpronounceable even if they are the same chemically.

I'm glad Zena is getting back to normal but like you I'm still on tenterhooks here waiting for the knockout punch on that Giardia thing to take effect.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi Helena - sorry I've think I've slightly lost the plot with all these drugs (Yes, I know it's easily done ) Could we have a summary please:-

You started her on Metronidazole - Is this the anti-biotic thingy

Yes H, this is the ONLY ab that will eradicate giardia, but it's also good for other intestinal bugs/parasites, but at the time (i.e. Sunday night when we first took her in), we didn't know what we were dealing with. In actual fact, it won't completely eradicate giardia, it just kills it temporarily and it comes back, IF you don't use the 3/5 day course of Panacur.

Then the vet switched her onto Panacur (Which is similar to Drontal )

Yes, this she did WHEN she had the faecal sample result showing she did have giardia antigens in the stool. Panacur kills MOST worms/parasites but I don't think it does them all, same with Drontil, so they recommend you switch each time you worm, use one, then the other next time.

Then you're trying the crushed Pumkin seeds as no harm can be done with them and they may help to make Giardia more difficult to establish itself in the tummy, is that correct

Yes, correct, and sulphur apparently has the same effect, giardia does not like to exist in a sulphur like environment.

But you said the Panacur is the drug that is going to knock out the Giardia so I'm kinda wondering why the vet didn't prescribe that first

She should have done, BUT, at the time, we didn't know exactly what it was until my 2nd trip to see the 2nd vet who knew from the sample result.

It would probably help if the AB's and anti worming meds we use here had the same names, but they don't, the names are all completely different and unpronounceable even if they are the same chemically.

I'm glad Zena is getting back to normal but like you I'm still on tenterhooks here waiting for the knockout punch on that Giardia thing to take effect.
We have now done 3 days, and she's almost totally back to normal, and normally, you would do only the 3 days to kill this off, but my vet wants to make absolutely sure they're all killed, so she's prescribed 5 days of it. Normally, you would do the 3 days (or maybe 5), and you would do it again in 2 weeks' time to totally eradicate this horrible parasite, because it's known to come back in that period of time, and I'll probably be doing that when I see the vet again. Same with the Metronidazole, it works, but ONLY during the time they are taking it, it comes back unless you use the Panacur. Hope that explains it all in "brief" but as yer know, I'm not very good at brief!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks H - That's put it all in context now and I see what's been happening. I will also make a note of those names and try to find what the equivalent are here. We worm ours every three months, both are usually a bit subdued after treatment but next day are fine. I appreciate you going over it all again for me
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

Wormers, such as Drontal and Panacur, and Frontline, Advocate etc., are all perfectly OK to buy from pet shops - they are all EXACTLY the same as those that the vet will sell you, but at a fraction of the price!! They will be in their locked cabinet, not loose on the shelves.

Metronidazole of course you will need to get from your vet, ie the tablets themselves, or the prescription, which you can then send off to one of the many websites on the internet and save yourself money that way.

We buy equine panacur for worms and giardia in this way, and the Advocate for the dogs and something else which I cannot remember, but it is for lice and manage. Buying over the internet is even cheaper than from pet shops.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 10:40 AM
So glad that Zena is so much brighter now
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >