View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nando
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I would have thought you pay what your willing to pay for whatever dog be it cross or pedigree. Why let it bother you in the first place aslong as the puppy is healthy and being looked after which is more than we can say for some of the pedigree dogs we see in this country.
I have crosses, pedigrees and your so called designer dogs but it makes no difference to me. first and foremost they are dogs
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Actually i think you'll find a Puggle is a Pug crossed with a Beagle

Jann
xx

Arrrrrh, well, I don't profess to be up on designer breed names Maybe when I saw Puggles advertised, I assumed they were pug x JRT when in fact they are not. Either way, I won't be buying one but thanks for the point in the right direction
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Thats a nice looking dog, but if there wasn't purebreeds then he wouldn't be around, as you wouldn't have the breeds to cross, so you owe your dog to pedigree dogs, even if it isn't a pedigree dog
Like I said...breeding is a good idea...to fix traits and phenotype to a large degree.
Just not to the degree it became in the show world.

The dog world owes alot to the showdog breeders, though...lots of breeds would have disappeared without the love for their breed.
They just need to listen a little more to the voice of genetic experts who say that things have gone too far with purity of breed.
Need some new blood to get rid of recessive problems.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:52 AM
I have had my first poodle for almost a year now and I can honestly say I have no idea why anyone would cross a poodle with anything else as they are absolutely perfect as they are
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I have had my first poodle for almost a year now and I can honestly say I have no idea why anyone would cross a poodle with anything else as they are absolutely perfect as they are
Hahah, brilliant
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
I really do believe that you are exaggerating the problem...both in terms of the numbers of rescue dogs and the number of unprovoked attacks.
I'm not over exaggerating at all, I wish I was. I was just pointing out that the crossing of these two breeds does not guarantee and 'fabulous child friendly family pet'. I could say the same thing about my poodles but I wont because it is misleading, there are no guarantees because a dog's character will also be shaped by it's experiences in it's new home and environment.

For example:
Lets' say there was a health problem in Afghan Hounds which was related to a genetic bottleneck (which I don't believe there is)

The breeder groups would try to reduce it by various tests.

A better solution would be to go back to Afghanistan, pull out a bunch of healthy looking dogs (and do some testing)...and breed them with the our Aghans.
They would still look and act like Afghans...but the look would be changed somewhat...perhaps not as gorgeous....but at least they would be saved from the health problem.

But you (generally) can't do such a thing nowadays.
Because all breeding dogs have to be from the existing set of dogs already in the stud book system.
That has and does happen, ask the Basenji people! In the UK there are rules and regualtions in palce to allow the bringing in of new unregistered stock and cross breeding.

As well, the reason there are some very high-priced doodles (not from the scam artists) is because there are some breeders (particularly in Australia) who have fixed the non-shed trait in the doodle.

Many breeders are now breeding a goldendoodle to a poodle to fix the trait more.
The 25% golden is still desirable to a lot of people, although I would rather have 50%, and take my chances with the shedding.
And there in lies another issue. Why have a 75% poodle which may still shed, and not a poodle, I would put money on that they would look almost identical. As to the Australian ASD this has been created over years to get the desired results and not a simple first cross!

Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Again, your prejudice. I read another poster here with a doodle bred from tested parents, and I have a good friend on her 7th Cockapoo (over 35 years) from a breeder who uses a Ch Toy Poodle stud - also fully health tested.

As to the false illusion that SOME owners of Doodles appear to be under, what about the false illusion sold here continuously that "purebred and registered" automatically means quality.

There are a HUGE amount of people who put a lot of stock into that piece of paper believing registries wouldn't entertain registering poorly bred purebreds and litters from stock not health tested. What about putting a message out about that illusion?

I am continuously amazed that posters will rail against the doodles with blanket statements while simultaniously forgetting to mention the fact that the vast majority of purebreds are bred and registered without health testing behind them. (OFA stats bear this out).

We should not be dividing. A good breeder is a good breeder and a bad one a bad, no matter what it is that they breed.

We need to start by getting the message out about farm/mill bred dogs no matter from what heritage.
I think you'll find that many do. I've always stated that KC registration is simply a registration and not a mark of quality, however, in the main, the vast majority of good breeders have KC registered stock. We on Dogsey are all for telling people the truth and that KC means nothing unless all the dogs are health tested.

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Welcome to Poodledom You wont have one for long

My main gripe with cross breeders (and not just of poodle crosses) is that there is no aim. They say the aim is to produce a good family pet yet with crossing you have a certain amount of unpredictability and you simply cannot say that crossing x with y will result in all the puppies being what you want, you may be lucky but the original poodle/lab cross experiment resulted in 10 puppies with only 3 being suitable for the purpose for which the cross was created.
Most doodle breeders are not trying to create a breed and are randomly crossing labs and poodles and the crosses together, even if they are being health tested, and therefore the only aim is to produce puppies and nothing more.
If they wanted to create a new breed (which they don't they've told me that themselves) then I have no issues with that as long as it is done properly. However, because cross breeding has become 'acceptable' to the general public this has effectively resulted in anyone breeding anything to anything and coming up with a name. That is their legacy and those that constantly promote crosses need to take responsibility for that, which they wont!
Becky
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Again, your prejudice. I read another poster here with a doodle bred from tested parents, and I have a good friend on her 7th Cockapoo (over 35 years) from a breeder who uses a Ch Toy Poodle stud - also fully health tested.

As to the false illusion that SOME owners of Doodles appear to be under, what about the false illusion sold here continuously that "purebred and registered" automatically means quality.

There are a HUGE amount of people who put a lot of stock into that piece of paper believing registries wouldn't entertain registering poorly bred purebreds and litters from stock not health tested. What about putting a message out about that illusion?

I am continuously amazed that posters will rail against the doodles with blanket statements while simultaniously forgetting to mention the fact that the vast majority of purebreds are bred and registered without health testing behind them. (OFA stats bear this out).

We should not be dividing. A good breeder is a good breeder and a bad one a bad, no matter what it is that they breed.

We need to start by getting the message out about farm/mill bred dogs no matter from what heritage.

What about the cocker spaniel
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I'm not over exaggerating at all, I wish I was. I was just pointing out that the crossing of these two breeds does not guarantee and 'fabulous child friendly family pet'. I could say the same thing about my poodles but I wont because it is misleading, there are no guarantees because a dog's character will also be shaped by it's experiences in it's new home and environment.

That has and does happen, ask the Basenji people! In the UK there are rules and regualtions in palce to allow the bringing in of new unregistered stock and cross breeding.

And there in lies another issue. Why have a 75% poodle which may still shed, and not a poodle, I would put money on that they would look almost identical. As to the Australian ASD this has been created over years to get the desired results and not a simple first cross!

I think you'll find that many do. I've always stated that KC registration is simply a registration and not a mark of quality, however, in the main, the vast majority of good breeders have KC registered stock. We on Dogsey are all for telling people the truth and that KC means nothing unless all the dogs are health tested.

My main gripe with cross breeders (and not just of poodle crosses) is that there is no aim. They say the aim is to produce a good family pet yet with crossing you have a certain amount of unpredictability and you simply cannot say that crossing x with y will result in all the puppies being what you want, you may be lucky but the original poodle/lab cross experiment resulted in 10 puppies with only 3 being suitable for the purpose for which the cross was created.
Most doodle breeders are not trying to create a breed and are randomly crossing labs and poodles and the crosses together, even if they are being health tested, and therefore the only aim is to produce puppies and nothing more.
If they wanted to create a new breed (which they don't they've told me that themselves) then I have no issues with that as long as it is done properly. However, because cross breeding has become 'acceptable' to the general public this has effectively resulted in anyone breeding anything to anything and coming up with a name. That is their legacy and those that constantly promote crosses need to take responsibility for that, which they wont!
Becky

great post. A lot of sense spoken here!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post

Becky
Good post and some excellent points made
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Thirded Mahooli
Page 14 of 30 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »