Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Can't see any of the "Alsatians" being able to do this or this (at the end the dogs are gaiting OFF lead)

Snapshots of dogs performing some tasks is no indication of their overall health. The sleeve work in particular. This more to do with temperament [edit: and training] than construction. There is I believe, a three legged lurcher performing well in agility. It's remarkable what a dog with a stoic character can achieve in overcoming physical disability. What's more significant is endurance and longevity.

And really I do cringe every time I see Zamp move. I saw him in the Crufts group and he is equally bad in his crouching gait off lead. This might produce the crowd pleasing TRAD movement of the showring but it's not how the original dogs that performed in the field moved.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I also saw the clip on Richard & Judy with the Boxer fitting.
I found it very upsetting and even now i'm still have pangs of tearful moments & a lump in my throat ( i will have my box of tissues ready later) . I appreciate now how upsetting it must be for owners.

I have also been disgusted with how GSD are now bred. Who in there right mind would buy one I think it should be banned. They look deformed & please forgive me...ugly. Such a shame because they are so beautiful.

It will be a very interesting programme but i hope it doesn't discourage people to buy pedigree's as most of them are healthy. Its just a percentage that aren't

I'm actually feeling quite nervous about watching it. I have very strong feelings on too many dogs being bred from for the wrong reasons never mind for breeding a perfect line.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
What is the "gaiting" for? I mean, why is the fast, overreaching trot advantageous?

(This is a genuine question by the way, not a question masked as a dig, as I know it sounds that way, but it honestly isn't meant to - just want to know more about GSDs!)

There is actually some sound basis behind this, the problem, as always, is that it has been taken to exaggeration.

An ecconomical gait is one where the stride length is reasonably long to make full use of momentum in the forward movement. But there comes a point where this cuts off, and extra stride length becomes a hindrance.

Also a dog that needs agility as well as ecconomical gait, would be at a disadvantage on a long stride as, what's gained in length of stride is lost in manouverability. A long stride in the gallop is also said to be unecconomical. Wish I understood more about this, but this does seem to hold true in that galloping breeds and those using high manouverability eg the coursing hounds have less angulation and length of stride.

The GSD has taken the TRAD (trememdous reach & drive) movement to the extreme where the only function is aesthetics in the showring. Working GSD and the similar working Belgian Shepherds have the moderate construction and movement functional for the purpose.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Wish I understood more about this, but this does seem to hold true in that galloping breeds and those using high manouverability eg the coursing hounds have less angulation and length of stride.
I don't know whether you would be interested in this article, pod, but the dogs are beautiful anyway

http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/belkin.htm
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:43 PM
There is actually some sound basis behind this, the problem, as always, is that it has been taken to exaggeration.

An ecconomical gait is one where the stride length is reasonably long to make full use of momentum in the forward movement. But there comes a point where this cuts off, and extra stride length becomes a hindrance.

Also a dog that needs agility as well as ecconomical gait, would be at a disadvantage on a long stride as, what's gained in length of stride is lost in manouverability. A long stride in the gallop is also said to be unecconomical. Wish I understood more about this, but this does seem to hold true in that galloping breeds and those using high manouverability eg the coursing hounds have less angulation and length of stride.

The GSD has taken the TRAD (trememdous reach & drive) movement to the extreme where the only function is aesthetics in the showring. Working GSD and the similar working Belgian Shepherds have the moderate construction and movement functional for the purpose.
Thanks for that - along the lines of what I was thinking.. I too would like to know more, as I even notice huge differences between our three in both construction and the gaits they use at certain speeds..
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
I don't know whether you would be interested in this article, pod, but the dogs are beautiful anyway

http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/belkin.htm

Hey, that looks like a good read. I've read lots by John Burchard but not seen this writer. Thanks RC
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Snapshots of dogs performing some tasks is no indication of their overall health. The sleeve work in particular. This more to do with temperament [edit: and training] than construction. There is I believe, a three legged lurcher performing well in agility. It's remarkable what a dog with a stoic character can achieve in overcoming physical disability. What's more significant is endurance and longevity.

And really I do cringe every time I see Zamp move. I saw him in the Crufts group and he is equally bad in his crouching gait off lead. This might produce the crowd pleasing TRAD movement of the showring but it's not how the original dogs that performed in the field moved.
<sigh> The dogs in the gaiting clip are at the end of extensive gaiting all three speeds are required when a GSD is working sheep or stock-which I presume you have seen POD as who appear to be so critical of the Germany dogs.

GSDs in Germany do not work sheep like Border Collies the essence of their work is to contain the sheep in an area of grazing & to prevent them from moving onto fresh grazing until the shepherd shows the dog the extent of the new garzing boundaries. They"shepherd"the sheep & unlike here in the UK were the sheep are left in enclosed fields on their own or on pasture(as in hill sheep & those on the wolds)again on their own. The GSD is shown the line behind which the sheep have to be kept & the dogs have to be able to gait for extended periods & also show speed when the sheep attempt to cross the line.

GSDs are left on their own with the sheep as well-they are not flock guards

These are GSDs that herd for a living. Awful aren't they & obviously unable to do the job they were bred to do the English Alsatian would be far better of course
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Will anyone be watching this? Apparently it is quite damning. I think my breed will be particularly hit hard! We will see.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes GSD's work sheep differently to BC's noone said different
But
not so many years ago the dogs did not look like that - that is an exaduration of the origonal dogs

To my eye its gone too far

conformation is supposed to be about keeping the dog true to the ideal origonal dog - but that does not seem to be the case
and it is a joke if the breed standard is changed to take into account these features we have added
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
For non digital people - I just noticed that BBC1 Scotland is showing 'River City' instead.
Im gutted
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 15 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 >