View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:23 PM
There is so much to this debate that could be discussed but I feel it seems again to be centering around breeders -v- rescues.

I've never been in the position of having to take back a dog, but I do know people who have. I know of someone who bred 1 litter in 10 years, and when the litter were 10 years old, they were asked through a marriage breakdown to take back one of that litter at the age of 10 !! They did, without hesitation.

I would just say something that struck me just now, regarding making sure arrangements are always in place to take back a dog.

No-one knows what goes on behind closed doors and no-one should assume that because someone doesn't take back a dog it's out of refusal to 'want' to. Someone could have bred a litter or two and been in a position to take back a dog, and then anything can happen down the line, where they are now not in a financial position to do so, or have had to move to smaller accommodation etc, I don't think it's fair to assume that one size fits all. Everything might me merry whilst the breeding is happening, and then something unexpected could come along to change everything. The same as people who buy dogs in the first place and then have to rehome them.

For these reasons I don't now think a list would work, because someone who has genuine ethical intentions could be placed on the list through personal circumstances that are out of their control.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Exactly.

By your own admission, I was not "Rude" to YOU personally.
Yes, absolutely - again, i have made it clear i am standing up for rescues as a rescue person... i have taken offence, in the same way as the breeders do on here
I made a sweeping statement about rescues in general.
exactly - now you have go it.

You ONLY posted accusing myself and two other members of being argumentative and being Borish !!! which was personal to myself and the members you named, when they had no involvement in my statement, especially not Borderdawn.
Yes - absolutely, as it isn't anyone else that makes these types of posts on these types of threads. Although i didnt mention dawn by name until she posted to me..You should not have made it a personal issue, and if you yourself, take your job so seriously as to think everyone is aiming comments at you personally, then maybe you are in the wrong job.
See above. Also, you are absolutely right. I agree with you 100%. I have already said the same in regards to AnneUK's comments regarding her manner of talking to breeders that even rescues should maintain a professional style. Its because i dont do what you have said that i feel this way.
I dont work at FOAL anymore. I moved to Denmark.
But i still regard myself as a rescue person.

I make no apologies for this post, I am sick of being lied about by this poster, and am sick of the personal attacks.
I don't expect you to make any apologies. Its fair comment.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Everything might me merry whilst the breeding is happening, and then something unexpected could come along to change everything. The same as people who buy dogs in the first place and then have to rehome them.

For these reasons I don't now think a list would work, because someone who has genuine ethical intentions could be placed on the list through personal circumstances that are out of their control.
I agree absolutely
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
unless of course we put a list of bad rescues next to it
Not such a bad idea
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

[QUOTE=novavizz;1191278]

Money was spent on that dog, the owner (who works in rescue) is still paying out money for the dog who has always had skin allergies which were and are so bad that we couldn't find a home for her, time has been taken on that dog as time is taken on every dog that is handed in to us. As for "all quick to diss breeders", I am speaking from my own experiences, the breeders that I have had experiences with. Rescue workers in general do so voluntarily and pay out enough of their own money and give their time freely. Time is something you could never claim back. That breeder was a driver, she could have come for the dog but didn't have the time! She also said that she would keep in touch with us, we never heard from her again.
wouldnt have it been cheaper to take the dog back to the breeder,where it would then be in a home?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi Krusewalker you obviously work for a good rescue,and do what is best for the dogs,that was my question to the other person in the thread,there was no reason stated why the breeder couldnt pick the dog up,so to me if a person really wanted to help the dog they would take it to the breeder,rather than have it sitting in the rescue kennels.
I would have the dog to the breeder no matter how inconvenient it was for me,rather than look at it like, why should I help that person,my mindset would have been in favor of helping the dog, which I would think is why one goes into rescue in the first place.
I do understand the difference between a breeder and a rescue and as I dont breed but seem to end up with alot of recues(not on purpose)I favor the rescue side, but common sense and ethics apply to both sides and there is I am sure some bad rescues as well as breeders.
on that note, making a list of so called bad breeders is not a good idea unless of course we put a list of bad rescues next to it
well said bajaluna xxzbxx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Krusewalker you obviously work for a good rescue,and do what is best for the dogs,that was my question to the other person in the thread,there was no reason stated why the breeder couldnt pick the dog up,so to me if a person really wanted to help the dog they would take it to the breeder,rather than have it sitting in the rescue kennels.
I would have the dog to the breeder no matter how inconvenient it was for me,rather than look at it like, why should I help that person,my mindset would have been in favor of helping the dog, which I would think is why one goes into rescue in the first place.
I do understand the difference between a breeder and a rescue and as I dont breed but seem to end up with alot of recues(not on purpose)I favor the rescue side, but common sense and ethics apply to both sides and there is I am sure some bad rescues as well as breeders.
on that note, making a list of so called bad breeders is not a good idea unless of course we put a list of bad rescues next to it
Yes and no...each case on its merits. If it is rediculously beyond the funds of the rescue, they would have no choice. Especially if the drive was so long that the rescues animals would be neglected, not to mention their own family.
If it is an easy type dog it wouldnt necessarily be in kennels that long anyway. Also, it may be a home based foster rescue. I think the poster was one of these?
Then the dog will be fine.
However, if the rescue could not foresee finding a home for the dog for any reason, then they should drive to the breeders home, if it is not too far, problemmatic, or expensive to do so.
I would put up an advert for transporter volunteers on the rescue boards.
Also, just because the breeder cant get down to pick up the dog, that doesnt mean they cant actively work to rehome the dog. They can vet good applicants and send them to the rescue. They could also make some sort of goods or services or financial donation to the rescue for the upkeep of their 'contractual dog'.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:36 PM

wouldnt have it been cheaper to take the dog back to the breeder,where it would then be in a home?
If a person wasn't *willing* to travel to take back their dog, personally I would have concerns about placing the dog with them.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
If the person wasn't willing to travel to take back the dog, personally I would be concerned about placing the dog with him.
she said she didnt have time to travel?but would take the dog back,why would you be concerned?
I have trouble traveling too because I have to be here to take care of my animals.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:44 PM
she said she didnt have time to travel?but would take the dog back,why would you be concerned?
I have trouble traveling too because I have to be here to take care of my animals.
I agree with you.

I think sometimes people read too much into an answer and take offence to it.

There could be many reasons why someone doesnt have the time or resources to go and collect a dog, hence why I posted about being against the list earlier.
Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »