18-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Dunno, white & brown, sweet bitch.
Well I dunno either then
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I personally do not think this man should be on TV at all. I think his programme is very irresponsible as many people with behavioural problems see using his TV show as a "cheap quick fix" instead of hiring a proper behaviourist or using classes, however many of them do not understand even half the training principals behind it and just suceed in getting it all wrong.

I admit that he does get results and in a few, select extremecases (i.e. it's learn to behave or be pts) then i believe his methods may be warrented.

However the thing that really gets me is that because he is on TV yanking his prong collars, chucking dogs on treadmills and pinning them on their backs, people think it is ok to do this to their dogs. I do not like choke or prong collars, however I believe they can work but only in the hands of a person who knows exactly how to use them and only when it is absolutely necessary. The average dog certainly does not need them. But the soloution these days seems to be "oh my dog pulls on a walk, i'll pop out and get a choke chain/prong collar because i saw it on TV"

I really dislike his puppy training book, I fully believe that any normal puppy can adequately should be positively reinforced/clicker trained. I understand and respect that there are different methods to dog training for people to chose, most of which get results, however I would never use most of his methods without an extreme case.

I don't think he is without some measure, he certainly does get some results. i just feel strongly that he should NOT be on TV so the general jo public can get his training methods wrong, with can be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands and if done incorrectly.

In short, I can't personally stand the man. Accept that he can get some results but believe he should only apply his methods to extreme cases, and get off the TV please!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Accept that he can get some results but believe he should only apply his methods to extreme cases, and get off the TV please!
DOnt watch him then! You'll boost his ratings even more.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
DOnt watch him then! You'll boost his ratings even more.
I had to laugh at that. It is true though, there is an off switch on every TV
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:02 PM
You can't formulate an opinion without knowing about it. I have a big interest in animal behaviour so i was very interested to see what he would come out with. I wanted to make sure I watched enough to have enough info to make my decision, but the more I saw, the less I liked.

I don't watch him any more.....it's bad for my blood pressure

ETA: it isn't him being on my TV I have the problem with, because I don't intend to use him method. As I said about, i worry about members of the public who have no really understanding of dogs or training using his methods. I do use mmy off sdwitch, but it still doesn't stop my concerns about him being on TV at all.....
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't you just hear stuff like that all the time. Everyone going on about some t.v. programme that is "not suitable for children", too much bad language, violent, etc., well turn the blinking t.v. to another channel, don't let your kids watch it/listen to bad language or anything else that offends!

I like Cesar. Some of his methods can seem a little harsh but, as far as I have seen these measures are used in extreme cases.

The advice I have taken from his programmes has been invaluable to training my Chis. I've never used a prong collar or done anything that could physically harm my dogs, just used his 'positive' training methods and let the dogs know who is Pack Leader, which he enforces in all his programmes, as well as the fact that dogs are DOGS and need to be treated as such. I don't see any of that as being extreme or needing to be used in red zone dogs

I meet dog owners all the time that ask if I use Cesar's training methods, saying that they also find his advice very helpful
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Ahh Sarah, I understand what he means by red zone - thankyou
I call that state reactive
Mia is a reactive dog and gets into that state
It is my job to understand her triggers and train her the acceptable behaviour at a distance before she goes like that
In that state a dog is not trainable, not in a positive or negative way, they wont respond to words, treats or punishment
With training the distances away from the triggers become less and she learns more acceptable ways to deal with a situation
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post

I meet dog owners all the time that ask if I use Cesar's training methods, saying that they also find his advice very helpful
That is the problem, his shows all say dont try this at home for a reason
punishment methods should not be used by the general public as they can be dangerous
But because he is on TV and people think they understand what he is talking about they then copy what he is doing
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 08:20 PM
I think people can be sensible enough to take what is appropriate from the programmes. One of the dog owners that I met recently said Cesar's methods had helped her dog a lot. When I asked her what method she had used she told me she now walked her dog more and played ball with him less because he got so wound up chasing the ball. He is much calmer with longer walks. Nothing really controversial in that.
Page 14 of 40 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »