Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
but I don't see how it can ever be anything other than a 100% money making scheme.
How? My greyhounds cost a fortune to run properly, right diet, right rubs, fuel, trials, entries, replacement rugs/muzzles/racing jackets, purchase of the dogs in the first place etc yet they run for £20 which doesn't even cover my fuel to the track and that's if they win - how is this a money making scheme?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Please note..some names have been removed and just a reminder that we do not allow naming & shaming on the site.
Off topic posts removed.

Please keep your posts friendly and polite, do not discuss other forums and stay within the Posting Guidelines/Terms Of Use .
Thank you.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Haven't read the whole thread (come on, it's mahoosive!) but would like to say that after seeing the little chaps we have in the centre at the moment - http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/50...r_fresh_start/ - I think it should be banned.

If it was controlled, with pets who are from loving homes then fair enough, but I don't see how it can ever be anything other than a 100% money making scheme.
Your conclusion is spot on Pidge.

Commercial greyhound racing is a 100% money making scheme for the gambling industry.

In Germany it is illegal to place a bet on a greyhound race and all dogs are kept and cared for as companion animals.

The situation is not ideal as they still race on oval tracks but it is far far better than the miserable life these gentle dogs endure as 'gambling units' in this country.

I hope you do well with re-homing your boys - once people adopt one, they are smitten and come back for more.

Good luck and let us know how you get on - maybe some pics might help seduce one or two members on here!

chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Letting your dogs off in a field to run freely bares no comparison to 6 dogs - intensely trained to chase a lure - running round an oval track with dangerous tight bends.

How many times do I have to link this video? Notice nearly all the accidents happen at the first bend when the dogs are still compact.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjzY...layer_embedded

I work with honest and decent people in rescue - those who dont have a vested interest in this cruel sport and try to improve welfare - ****** does not fall into either of these categories.

I do not want to associate myself with anyone who makes immature malicious remarks about anti-racing groups - pure evil!
I never said it was the same, but its still a risk, I don't check the fields complety everytime I let the dogs off, I've had one dog run into barbed wire that was buried by someone who doesn't like motocross, that caused a deep hole, so deep infact that twice a day for a week before she could have stitches I had to clean it out, and you could see where the bones in her toes were, as it went right through, I subjected my dogs to that risk, because I let her off, and she got injured, I also risked my dogs when I let them off in the snow, one of them was a mainiac, and kept falling as he decided that he could run just as fast if not faster in the snow, and kept falling in drifts, he could of easily broke a leg on it. And then there is the fact that the grounds uneven, they could esaily fall from running and not judging things properly and get hurt, the list is endless, so its a risk whenever they are let off.

I also think that you take a lot of offence about some remarks about people who take things to the extreme, and yes I'm sure that there will be anti's who do, as there are in all walks of life, and I'm wondering why.

Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Seeing as this is a greyhound racing thread, future stars?

Blues

Blacks

And Jodie, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all
Now what one do you want to send down this way, I love the blue with the white on their face, and the black at the front is gorgeous.

Haven't read the whole thread (come on, it's mahoosive!) but would like to say that after seeing the little chaps we have in the centre at the moment - http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/50...r_fresh_start/ - I think it should be banned.

If it was controlled, with pets who are from loving homes then fair enough, but I don't see how it can ever be anything other than a 100% money making scheme.
There will be the good, bad the ugly in all sorts of things, and banning this IMO will not work, people will just go elsewhere, how would you feel if that happened, as like BSL I bet it would be the people who no-one wants involved, it could have the potential to attract other people who no-one wants, and then what will happen to the dogs welfare, with Greyhound racing its always improving, but if you do a blanket policy and ban it who would control the welfare side of things? IMO it would do no purpose to ban it. But then you are intilted to your opinion too

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Your conclusion is spot on Pidge.

Commercial greyhound racing is a 100% money making scheme for the gambling industry.

In Germany it is illegal to place a bet on a greyhound race and all dogs are kept and cared for as companion animals.

The situation is not ideal as they still race on oval tracks but it is far far better than the miserable life these gentle dogs endure as 'gambling units' in this country.

I hope you do well with re-homing your boys - once people adopt one, they are smitten and come back for more.

Good luck and let us know how you get on - maybe some pics might help seduce one or two members on here!

I see you class everyone whose involved in the sport as individuals how do you know that in Germany no-one places a bet aswell you don't, anyone could still do it, at home, with friends, anywhere, it wouldn't be able to be policed/
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 11:33 AM
@Chaz

You know there are risks in this particular field, yet you still let them race around in it? - hardly a responsible attitude.

Before you can comment on what would happen if greyhound racing was banned - I think you need to appreciate commercial greyhound racing is not financially viable with even minimum standards of welfare - where dogs are kennelled as economically as possible, afforded very little veterinary care and are destroyed for economic reasons. Obviously banning commercial greyhound racing would eliminate these situations.

I'm sure there is an element of competition that exists in Germany and side bets are often exchanged - but this hobbyist form of racing bares no comparison to the multi billion pound gambling industry which exists in this country and which is responsible for the destruction of thousands of greyhounds annually.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Thank god this thread is re-open, thought I might actually have to go and get a life!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Thank god this thread is re-open, thought I might actually have to go and get a life!!
Oh that comment made my day
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:50 PM
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Jodie I'm on my phone right now so I'll give you a better answer when I can however I can honestly say that when I let my dogs off lead I don't check the whole field for dangers but even if I did where and how the wire was buried I probally wouldn't of seen it. I do know that there is uneven ground where I let my dogs of but that is just how the land lies, it naturally differs making some higher then the rest, then there is the chance of rabbit holes etc and years ago when I was little one of my dogs a GSD even fell down a well he was fine and the well was covered back over but Where I walk there is going to b a risk no matter how low or high but its safer then taking them down to a flat field which is close to roads its my choice and we accept it.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Carried on from last post.

I also have the dog version of Peter pan, and when the snow hit he lost all self control and it became either struggle to walk him and risk falling on him if he pulled while I was at a area hard to stay upright or take him somewhere let the dogs off for ten-twenty mins, and try to keep him occupied while playing it worked with my girl but not him in around fifeteen minutes he fell countless times. And this was also when the snow had blockd the roads of so I couldn't buy anything like a longline
Page 139 of 157 « First < 39 89 129 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 149 > Last »