Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Lost our first dog aged 6 from kidney disease, I suspect, though cannot prove it may've had a genetic element to it.

Conviction or not, it didn't come across well, which was my point.
I also lost my first dog from genetic kidney disease aged just 2 years. He was a puppy farmed dog. I understand the passion, but agree that he is over the top with his delivery, so to speak. All it does is alienate people.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Ok - here are my thoughts :
  • some pretty disgusting behaviour from the Boxer breeders who need to step up to the plate and have their dogs tested and be more honest about the problem in their lines

• pretty horrible footage of the Brachy breeds featured - I'll confess I'm constantly puzzled why these are amongst the most popular breeds with registrations that are going through the roof - but hey the puiblic's appetite for Pugs/Bull dogs/Frenchies and almost ALL the flat faced breeds seems insatiable

• more frantic foaming at the mouth from Mark 'Mad eye' Evans ( is he some kind of joke ? )

• Sheila Crispin underlining yet again just what a complete waste of time the Dog Advisory Council is ( I mean WHAT is this body for ? )

• some pretty irrelevant stuff on the Dally cross - what exactly was JH's point here ? -the dog's here and it's been KC registered - so what if some folk in the breed don't agree ?

• an over emphasis on the show sector - the title was PEDIGREE dogs exposed 2 - yet no mention of where most pedigree dogs are sourced from - why ?

• and lastly - frankly - I found it mostly rehashed stuff from the first programme and boring in parts - does it represent me or most of the pedigree show breeders I know - nope !!
I agree with all of the above, I thought that the programme mainly stayed away from overly generalised histrionic diatribes. Most of it was repetitive however it did make some good points about some changes within the KC re health testing and recording etc.

Now you could interpret that, as some did, as insufficient and pandering to the breeders or that the wheels of change move slowly (and let us not forget the downside when the wheels of change move quickly as in DDA) as in most areas of life.

Mark Evans again undermines his own credibility as disinterested (as opposed to uninterested) professional.

And TBF even the issue with the whistleblower on the CKCS is not that sensational as the RULES of the club were clear, leaving members no choice.

After all that is what rules are for.

They could have engineered a simultaneous proposal ie to change the rules (no idea if they did or not).

The problem with programmes like this is that they tend to polarise people who will take the "pick n mix" approach and select from it what suits THEIR particular agenda and discard the rest, when a more holistic detached view would be, IMHO, more appropriate.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I haven't read any of the previous threads but I was actually quite surprised at the programme. I wasn't shouting at the tv, but was incredibly upset to see that pug That really isn't the norm, is it? It must be so heartbreaking for the boxer owners as well. Again, is it really that bad?

I do think she could have done more about the healthy dogs out there. It did just seem that she was "show bashing". Yes, that's probably where most of the breeders come from (apart from the BYB), but there are other problems elsewhere, not just with the showing fraternity.

I really disliked Mark Evans. He would ban all pedigrees if it were up to him. Totally agree with SB's thoughts about him.

Helen
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
So someone who is extremely passionate, someone who has likely seen hundreds if not thousands of suffering dogs, is a joke? Actually I think he was one of those talking the most sense on that programme, one of those concerned with the dogs welfare rather than pandering to over inflated egos who think they know best, when all they are concerned with is their dogs ability to win them pretty ribbons!
isn't it strange how different peoples' perceptions are? I thought the throwback to his comments brought back the sensationalism of the first show. Too much rant which actually spoilt the message he was trying to get over.

Personally, I'd have dropped the 'impact' clips from the first show and gone into more detail on the new stuff, or included new footage of the previous points made. You see, to anyone with a suspicious mind, it could look as though such extreme examples are far more rare than the show implicates. I'm not for one moment suggesting this is the case, but to me, it's poor producing/editing in that it detracts from rather than enhances a point
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I honestly can't understand the dislike of Mark Evans on here!! Because he gets a bit worked up, understandably, people think his points are less valid?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-02-2012, 09:11 AM
i will pick and mix, Mark Evans is a great man, a great man indeed, i do not know him personally but for his position in the debate he is a great man and i agree with everything he said, dog shows yes freak shows no, i nearly cried when i saw the working v show dogs in terms of fit for purpose and yes i am fully aware that a lot of working dogs have few tests.
I felt pain for the KC lady in terms of her knowledge that the KC can only educate and the fact that a lot of breed clubs are so intransigent that she just knew it would not happen in her lifetime.
Good programme and well balanced and if Mark Evans is classed as an extremist in terms of dog issues i am joining his band.
Will watch it again later to pick on any points missed.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm afraid to a large extent I agreed with the vet. I have no problems as such with dog shows, but as a fun aside to actually owning a dog, not the reason for owning one! There are far too many people out there who only give a damn abut the trophies, rosettes and prestige they earn from showing their animals, not the actual dogs themself. I think that is why increasing numbers of people are becoming anti show, which is a shame really, because they can be great fun from what I've seen. But if the welfare of the dogs could be improved from banning shows and not giving these 'breeders' (and I use that word loosely) a platform to show of their, in the vets words, mutants! then I'm afraid I'd be all for it.
just thought i would point out, before i comment on the whole thread, i bought my first dog as a show dog, thats what i went out and bought her for. the breeder i got her from knew i wanted a dog to show. doesnt mean i dont love her any less if she doesnt win shows. i havent entered any for ages, but she was bought for me to show, as i loved being around the show scene.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I honestly can't understand the dislike of Mark Evans on here!! Because he gets a bit worked up, understandably, people think his points are less valid?
I don't like him because he tars EVERY single pedigree dog with the same brush. Yes, there are some VERY extreme examples (health), which I am with everyone, I'm sure, should not be bred from, but he just gave the impression that he disagrees with all pedigree breeding.

I have a kennel full of fit for function dogs (apart from the retirees), including one that has been shown, and at Crufts, winning second place in her class. My dogs are healthy, because they need to be. From what he was saying, there are no healthy pedigree dogs out there. He just seemed to rant, and I don't think it is a particularly good way of getting your point across.

He may be passionate about it, but the way he was talking, just came across as an extremist view.

He also works for the RSPCA but that's another matter entirely

Helen
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Walkon and Glenauld need to step up...
Boxer Breed council needs to step up..
Well done again Dr Bruce ,he has been there for all the Boxer health issues..
I agree.

Have not watched the programme yet, so will refrain till then.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
just thought i would point out, before i comment on the whole thread, i bought my first dog as a show dog, thats what i went out and bought her for. the breeder i got her from knew i wanted a dog to show. doesnt mean i dont love her any less if she doesnt win shows. i havent entered any for ages, but she was bought for me to show, as i loved being around the show scene.
.........and if she was winning best of breed in shows but was shown to be carrying a serious genetic defect, would you still breed from her? That's the issue here - breeders putting their own sad little egos over the health of a breed they a supposedly meant to be protecting
Page 13 of 40 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »