Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Great news!!!

Scared to say it but skin is normal colour & little to no itching! Hip happy days......
I am very pleased and I am sure Harvey is a happier chappie

Keep up with the sweet potato it will support with it's anti-inflammatory content.

I feel you are correct Harvey does better on lightly cooked protein as that will aid his digestion and not raw.

The remark in an earlier post stating the folly of unqualified people on this thread wasting time "guessing" appears to be a case of "foot in mouth"

A certain amount of knowledge and rational thinking regardless of qualifications goes a long way and on occasions can keep the vet bills down.

Although this has not been my problem I do not feel I have wasted my time and if there has been any benefit from my so called "guessing" I am happy to have contributed.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post

Keep up with the sweet potato it will support with it's anti-inflammatory content.

The remark in an earlier post stating the folly of unqualified people on this thread wasting time "guessing" appears to be a case of "foot in mouth"

A certain amount of knowledge and rational thinking regardless of qualifications goes a long way and on occasions can keep the vet bills down.

Although this has not been my problem I do not feel I have wasted my time and if there has been any benefit from my so called "guessing" I am happy to have contributed.
Rueben, its nowt to do with guesswork, its experience; knowledge you have gained from experience gathered through years of living & learning. *You can have all the qualifications in the world & still know very little.

There will be folk reading this thread & not commenting but thinking to themselves "ah, that could be the reason why my dogs skin is so red & inflammed" a Professional can treat the symptoms, getting to the "root" of allergic reactions is quite something else.*

How often have you heard someone say "Nothings changed, same food, environment" etc - yet who would think that the food the dog has been on for months or years could be the cause and in this instance, it was not guesswork, it was fact!

As far as i am concerned i believe you never stop learning, life in itself is a learning curve, anyone who professes to know everything probably doesnt know very much at all! Learning through handson experience is the best kind of knowledge, it stays with you throughout your life

Through the help on this thread, & being able to talk things through with other like minded folk, Harvey now has normal itch free skin

So yes, keep up the suggestions & talking things through & ignore derogatory remarks!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Rueben, its nowt to do with guesswork, its experience; knowledge you have gained from experience gathered through years of living & learning. *You can have all the qualifications in the world & still know very little.

There will be folk reading this thread & not commenting but thinking to themselves "ah, that could be the reason why my dogs skin is so red & inflammed" a Professional can treat the symptoms, getting to the "root" of allergic reactions is quite something else.*

How often have you heard someone say "Nothings changed, same food, environment" etc - yet who would think that the food the dog has been on for months or years could be the cause and in this instance, it was not guesswork, it was fact!

As far as i am concerned i believe you never stop learning, life in itself is a learning curve, anyone who professes to know everything probably doesnt know very much at all! Learning through handson experience is the best kind of knowledge, it stays with you throughout your life

Through the help on this thread, & being able to talk things through with other like minded folk, Harvey now has normal itch free skin

So yes, keep up the suggestions & talking things through & ignore derogatory remarks!

Thanks
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I doubt they will do that, their response has been to avoid the issue and hope it will go away or wait until any fuss dies down

Was your bill in 3-figures? Im guessing it was. Is Jimmi insured?
Yes it was....and yes he is; however we have not claimed because of course this is a re-run of the problems that he had when we first got him I am too honest for my own good sometimes.

Excellent post. Hear hear.
I am absolutely delighted that Harvey is now doing so well.

Originally Posted by rueben View Post

I feel you are correct Harvey does better on lightly cooked protein as that will aid his digestion and not raw.

Well said.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Well something interesting.

Going slightly off topic, Katie has had a few days off/on her food which is her norm. I have each day soaked a few small handful of renal food kibble & offered it to her around 7-8pm
If she didnt eat it, i let Harvey have it as the food costs an arm & leg & didnt like to waste it. Guess what - no reaction whatsoever

The protein level in this food is really low - 14.7%

For anyone interested - http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-...rofile=DEFAULT

That has set me thinking, some of the feeds for senior & overweight dogs are lower protein, could we get away with feeding. 4 year old on one of the lower protein feeds - obviously he would need more than a senior or overweight dog

Any ideas, thoughts?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Well something interesting.

Going slightly off topic, Katie has had a few days off/on her food which is her norm. I have each day soaked a few small handful of renal food kibble & offered it to her around 7-8pm
If she didnt eat it, i let Harvey have it as the food costs an arm & leg & didnt like to waste it. Guess what - no reaction whatsoever

The protein level in this food is really low - 14.7%

For anyone interested - http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-...rofile=DEFAULT

That has set me thinking, some of the feeds for senior & overweight dogs are lower protein, could we get away with feeding. 4 year old on one of the lower protein feeds - obviously he would need more than a senior or overweight dog

Any ideas, thoughts?
I don't see why not.....after all, it must be a well balanced food and if it means that a dog is free from the distressing symptoms that Harvey exhibits then it has to be worth a try. Presumably such foods would not be good for working or highly active dogs, but for the average pet should be fine??

Just quickly going back to Wafcol - we spoke to our supplier today who has been battling to get our money back on the 15kg bag that was barely used. Wafcol have agreed to repay half the cost Well big deal. They said that we should really have introduced the new recipe gradually.........WHAT, after all that correspondence (which our supplier has copies of) saying that there would be no problem with the new recipe etc. etc., but over and above that there was nothing on that bag to say that it was an altered recipe as it was from the first run and they "hadn't got around to it". Sorry, I sound like a worn record but I am just so cross.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi

I agree with you Sally, it leaves a bad taste and in the interest of good PR they should have refunded your money. After all it's though people like you and me that recommend their food to other owners, that sales go up. If the food had not changed then why should customers have did a graduated changeover

I'm undecided what to do, re feeding Harvey. Wet food is lower in protein, so perhaps that is an option. As far as Harvey is concerned - he isn't fussy, he eats anything with relish

How is Jimmi, is he still doing okay on Fish4dogs?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi VB, yes Jimmi is still doing fine on Fish4dogs thank goodness but I am taking note of everything on this thread in case things should change!

Re Harvey, I suppose that it now boils down to what suits you the best to feed him and at least he is not fussy so that makes things a little easier Low protein wet; low protein dry; home cooked etc. etc., whatever you do he will enjoy it. The thing is, you have successfully stabilised him so this makes it easier to spot if your chosen route is not the right one, if you see what I mean! In other words, if when introducing, say, the light low protein kibble he starts to get pink then you can cross that one off your list. As you say, the wet food might be your best option.
Lae
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2011, 11:31 PM
http://www.eaglepack.com/
My dog has sensitive skin and stomache...diet is huge...
omega 3 is good...slippery elm for diahreea,kelp..and sunflower oil...in there food you prepare...
all natural..... camel meat is good,chicken not good..
horse meat aswell good..i know its horrible, but these products are available out there for these dogs...and they work.... also i use pro-plan sensitive skin and stomache biscuits sometimes...
Lae
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by Lae View Post
http://www.eaglepack.com/
My dog has sensitive skin and stomache...diet is huge...
omega 3 is good...slippery elm for diahreea,kelp..and sunflower oil...in there food you prepare...
all natural..... camel meat is good,chicken not good..
horse meat aswell good..i know its horrible, but these products are available out there for these dogs...and they work.... also i use pro-plan sensitive skin and stomache biscuits sometimes...
Lae
Hi Lae
I dont think Eaglepack is available in the UK?
Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »