View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
OK---So its OK to be deformed if you aren't going to be expected to work? I suppose that is why its OK to breed a flat face as well----because the dog doesn't need to breathe that well as it doesn't have to run around.

LOL.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
OK---So its OK to be deformed if you aren't going to be expected to work? I suppose that is why its OK to breed a flat face as well----because the dog doesn't need to breathe that well as it doesn't have to run around.

LOL.

rune
Nope, nobody said that, I could see what you were aiming for!

You are grasping now, trying to defend poor breeding of animals that are supposed to work all day. The Pekingese isnt supposed to be a very active dog, it SHOULD have a low slung body, you just sound a bit daft Lynn.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I was chatting to a friend last night, she has a lady who works with her (and used to work with me) who shows (has bred one litter) Springers.

I mentioned this thread and we discussed the working side of the show springers....she was not particularly complementary about them. She said there was a breeder in Norfolk who was working the show strains as well? (she did mention a name but I cannot recall it at all), but mentioned the fact that they were lighter than many in the ring.
I have posted pictures of her boy before...he is a nice boy - but has tome temperament issues with other dogs - due to being attacked we think (although form what I have seen he is just snarky when another dog gets in his face).

I know pictures of spaniels of old are very different - just for interest - when did the spaniels split (into cocker/springer)? and when was the Springer breed standard written?
Of course everyone has an opinion, some people will have good experiences of working show Springers, some bad. Being against the show type showing it's only natural you want to publish anything which might infer them to be bad workers.

Shipden exists in Norfolk and has mixed the working strain into the show strain and work their dogs. However as his wife died recently he's had to downsize and I'm not sure how active he is now. He's not seen at shows these days.

Originally Posted by English Springer Spaniel Club
By the 17th century the Land Spaniel is referred to as being divided into the Crouching Spaniel and the Springing Spaniel with a later subdivision of the Springer Spaniel into two sizes - the smaller of the two being called the Cocking Spaniel.

By the 19th century, Spaniels had begun to be divided into two groups. Dogs weighing up to 25lbs were called Cockers or Cocking Spaniels, because they were used for woodcock and the larger dogs, weighing around 45 lbs were called Field Spaniels or English Spaniels.
Originally Posted by ESS, An Owners Companion: Jan Wood
From 1813 onwards [the Boughey Family] kept a stud book for what they called their "Springer Spaniels".

In 1885, the Spaniel Club was formed and breed standards were drawn up for the different types of Spaniel
The English Springer was recognised by the KC in 1902.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
if ever I decide to , I will, it wont be for a few yrs yet, but they are certainly on my list, along with a few others.

it will all depend on the timing and so on, but my hubby is always in heaven when watching them in the ring.

P.S ..guess the other breed, the wire vizsla...but I know who I would go to for one.

A friend of mine who has 2 smooth, is hoping to get wire late summer, was talking to a lady at Stafford the other week, who is mating her girl on her next season, and her dogs are fabulous, just fell in love with them
Ah the Wire Vizsla! Inspite of Oscar's continued "freaky" behaviour, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the breed and would certainly have another. I've never had a dog so intelligent and easy to train and what a stunning breed!

One thing I will say - make sure you go for one with the correct, hard coat. Some kennels are breeding HWV with light, soft coats - utterly useless for working in. The ones from Zoldmali lines usually have brilliant coats and great working ability.

I'll shut up now, I could go on about them forever!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Lynn.
Do you think a Shetland Pony could run in the Derby and do equally as well as a Thoroughbred? If not, why not? They are the same species, yes? Surely the Shetland should be able to compete and perform as well as the Thoroughbred?

See my point? Horses for courses.........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Ah the Wire Vizsla! Inspite of Oscar's continued "freaky" behaviour, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the breed and would certainly have another. I've never had a dog so intelligent and easy to train and what a stunning breed!

One thing I will say - make sure you go for one with the correct, hard coat. Some kennels are breeding HWV with light, soft coats - utterly useless for working in. The ones from Zoldmali lines usually have brilliant coats and great working ability.

I'll shut up now, I could go on about them forever!
Yes, we had a very long coverstation about coat
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Yes, we had a very long coverstation about coat

Some people can get really cross about it. I've spoken to Terry Pearson quite a bit (he's helping find me someone to help with Oscar's training) and he gets quite riled about the coats! The breed club has recently applied to change the standard to make light coats a fault so hopefully it'll put a stop to it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

LOL.

rune
Who said that, if the pug was bred to work in the field all day it would have a completey different conformation , so that argument is a bit lame

We are talking Springers in particular here, not pekes or pugs, they are nto bred to work for hrs in the field, Springers are, and as such should have good strong conformation.

P.S would be interested to see where you got your breed standard from

As I pointed out, its not in the KC or breed club version have had a good look and cant find it
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nope, nobody said that, I could see what you were aiming for!

You are grasping now, trying to defend poor breeding of animals that are supposed to work all day. The Pekingese isnt supposed to be a very active dog, it SHOULD have a low slung body, you just sound a bit daft Lynn.
NOPE---I am knocking ANY bad breeding---and it seems to me that the KC have actively encouraged it.

I have said SO many times that I am not anti showing that I am fed up of saying it---I AM anti KC for many reasons----not least of which is their acceptance of either exaggerated breed standards or judges encouraging too much exaggeration. Surely they could have seen what was happening without the need for that TV programme. It is so sad that they didn't.

The pekes from 50 years ago were very different and the one I was close to (another Pippin) would come with us playing golf in Scotland and hill walking----no problems. But he had a nose not a flat face.

I don't understand how anyone can think that is right?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Who said that, if the pug was bred to work in the field all day it would have a completey different conformation , so that argument is a bit lame

We are talking Stringers in particular here, not pekes or pugs, they are nto bred to work for hrs in the field, Springers are, and as such should have good strong conformation.

P.S would be interested to see where you got your breed standard from

As I pointed out, its not in the KC or breed club version have had a good look and cant find it
You didn't read what I wrote---Dawn did.

rune
Page 13 of 30 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »