View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Am crying n smiling at same time, what you do and the thoughts n experiences you have and share here are just beautiful, very special. Wishing you all the very best
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Your posts do bring me to tears , but I am so happy for the two of you, its such a lovely story.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I've just caught up....Im so happy for you and the handsome old gent Mirk xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Thank you for clearing that up .
I believe David Kennard has/had a dog called Merc after Mercedes..... If irecall correclt because he ws sleek as a......merc... ? David Kennard for those that do not know, created "A sheepdog called Mist" Series - amongst many other pretty famous sheepdog video entertainment things. Respect to him for buying his farm from the proceedes that he may save his own and that of his families and dogs, livelihood.
Yes DK did call one of his dogs Mirk, because he was "sleek as a Mercedes" Mirk was Ernie's brother, but Mirk was sold on I believe. Btw I don't know whether DK spelled it Mirk or Merc, but in The Year of the Working Sheepdog, he certainly does say he is called such due to the Merc car

I have had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with DK a few times at trials in the NW England, and he is a lovely man, as well as being a hugely talented writer and sheepdog trainer.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Your post regarding the first time you worked Mirk is absolutely inspiring Denise. You should write a book!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Your post regarding the first time you worked Mirk is absolutely inspiring Denise. You should write a book!
See - I am not the only one suggesting a book so I'm afraid you have no choice
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Hello again everyone from Mirk.

Sadly, Mirk hasnt had the best few days, medically. On Saturday he started to stagger like a drunk, fell into the wall and then had to be propped up as he swayed and got confused. He was tired afterward and slept a lot.

On Monday night the same thing happened again. I have seen this type of behaviour before in my old girl Cassie, many years ago and I think it was labelled a petit mall (or somethign like that).

Coupled with those incidents is an increased, yes increased thirst leading to a deterioration in his toileting habits, especially at night time. On some days he drinks everythign he encounters. Puddles, ponds, brooks, full water bowls, everything. On others he drinks less.

I can cope with the weeing, I have hard floors and he never wee's on the carpets, though his prefferred place runs into the the little rug at the bottom of the stairs which has now been washed so many times it is virtually colourless. I have now removed it.

He has also begun to stop suddenly as if desperate for a wee, and wee in a urgent still walking squat, even after on a walk after an hour of weeing.

All in all, it is looking like Mirk has some brain probems. And this is not making any of us very happy - Except him

He doesnt know he has any problems , he doesn't seem in pain, he doesn't seem worried and he still eats for England. He still gives the most contented sighs when he lies down and he still wags like mad at the sight or touch of any person or dog. He runs after a ball on his walks and he clearly loves living here.

Mirk is still having the time of his life, even if he does mean the washing machine is continually on and there are lots of logistics to manage when leaving him behind or indeed taking him anywhere.

He's happy. He's warm, dry, full, sleepy, walked and cuddled and he is clearly as happy with all of that, as any dog Ive ever seen.

I still maintain even though my heart is heavy at thoughts of the problems ahead, that this has been one of the best things I have ever done, since rescuing my last dog and all her problems.

My only mistake was thinkign I could remain aloof and detached from him. He is soooo totally adorable like a cuddly teddy bear full of love.

Rescuing an old lad, from a crap life and letting him learn to love life again, is brilliant for him, its been brilliant for me and its been brilliant for all that have had the pleasure that it surely is, of encountering him.

If its another happy day, a week, a month, a year, matters not. When he stops being happy, I will bring on the big sleep. But until then we will manage to fill each day with a bit of everything a dog could ever want.

I wish I had brought better news. Perhpas it will improve, a blip perhaps? But whatever happens I will continue to update this thread. Thank you all for listening to Mirk's story and yes I might just write a book about Mirk. Love to you all form Mirk and all of us here in Mirk's house (for that is surely what it has become!).
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 04:13 PM
He truly is one very lucky boy to have you.

I'm sure you have, but have you tried restricting the amount he drinks and gofeering little and often?

I really hope it is just a blip and he begins to improve. I know how difficult it is to cope with constant puddles!

best of luck and ((hugs)) for mirk
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Thank you for the update....... where shall I send the extra washing tablets?

x0x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Ahh bless him at least he is a happy boy now, and thats what matters.
Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »