Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Well, there`s a surprise. Adam believes in using pain and punishment to train a dog.
BTW agreeing with someone who has boasted of using electric shocks on Rescue dogs really doesn`t advance your cause.
i dont agree with everyything he says just that one bit!! what so bad about that.

no i would never use a shock collar but yes i would use a slip lead ect... i dont see the huge problem everyone is making up here. im not trying to change the way people train their dogs like you all are, i was just joining in with a thread with my opinion.

im not a horrible dog owner who hurts my puppy and uses fear and pain to train him. its obvious i dont when you see him!!!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Don't believe anyone was saying you can't/shouldn't use a slip lead, what we're saying, or at least what I'm saying is, that it shouldn't be used in the way CM is using it, at the top of the neck behind the ears, because as I've said, it can and does hurt, regardless as to wether you think it does or not.

Strangle holds can hurt, so I can't see being corrected by a slip lead or half check used in the same place on a dog not having the same potential to cause pain/discomfort.

As for a dog not showing pain, it makes complete sence when you think about it, for them not to. Displaying pain = showing weakness = making them a target for a larger predator as they're easy meat. As well as the other reasons others have stated previously.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 08:38 PM
what people have been saying is that basicly i am cruel to my dog because i use a slip lead, dont think CM is that bad, agreed with someone they dont like and am not agreeing with everything they say about training (this is hows its coming across)

i dont 'strangle' him with the lead, we walk normally i just find the easier and prefere them in different situations. but if they are really in pain they will at least protest or make a noise not carry on like normal???
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-10-2010, 08:46 PM
people have got very worked up over all this, which just shows the love for there animals, so try not to take anything personal
i dont think your a cruel puppy hater
if thats worth anything to you
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 08:52 PM
i understand everyones opinons on here and how they like to train their dogs ect and i respect that but others dont seem to do the same for me thats all.

im sure no one thinks im a puppy hater and im def not lol but it just seems they dont want to take in others opinons ect... thats all!!!

i know im no training or dog expert but i still know stuff (even if its not a huge amount!!!)
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Actually as social animals who use physical contact in the interactions they do tend to show pain a fair bit.

If two dogs are playing (adrenalised) and one bites the other the bitten dog will vocalise. This is normal social behaviour and is how they avoid doing each other seriouse damage.

A dog not vocalising in pain when experiencing something is most likely not in pain.

The only area were this may not be the cause is chronic pain, bad hips ect. However a training aid put on for a walk is not this.

Adam
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
i understand everyones opinons on here and how they like to train their dogs ect and i respect that but others dont seem to do the same for me thats all.

im sure no one thinks im a puppy hater and im def not lol but it just seems they dont want to take in others opinons ect... thats all!!!

i know im no training or dog expert but i still know stuff (even if its not a huge amount!!!)
thats why i opend the hypothetical thread so people could share with a positive vibe rather than the negative
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Actually as social animals who use physical contact in the interactions they do tend to show pain a fair bit.

If two dogs are playing (adrenalised) and one bites the other the bitten dog will vocalise. This is normal social behaviour and is how they avoid doing each other seriouse damage.

A dog not vocalising in pain when experiencing something is most likely not in pain.

The only area were this may not be the cause is chronic pain, bad hips ect. However a training aid put on for a walk is not this.

Adam
I don't think you can use that as an analogy - play is used to suss out situations - whether practicing behaviours or learning and teaching.
Dogs are much more vocal during play.

I know with Siren and Zeff....Zeff really has to get Siren hard for her to give a reaction. Its not something I like and I try to stop it when I see it coming, but because Siren will not react (as she is over focused on the other dogs) he has to go in hard to get a reaction. Just a little nip will not do it.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:09 PM
i liked that thread but some diddnt, not sure why though.

got people talking in a more positinve way and learning different ways. thats what i liked, i can try new things with him if what im doing isnt working
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-10-2010, 09:12 PM
thats just what i got out of it.
im glad that one went better
Page 13 of 24 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »