View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Fair enough Emm if it isnt that easy for you, it certainly works for me, I dont like seeing pet dogs hanging from peoples arms, I think that actively encourages aggression and possibly the wrong type of people trying it, I have witnessed first hand the horrific consequences of a dog who "thought" his owner needed protecting, however I dont look at such topics on here, I leave it to those that think its ok and enjoy doing it, its their choice and they should be repected for that.
Dawn.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous

I don't know UK regulations...But if people who are allowed to use a gun for hunting etc arn't properly trained then maybe the UK needs to regulate it's laws better in this situation...

Believe me Myschevious-UK gun laws are the most strictest in the world! To gain either a shotgun certificate or even harder-firearms licence,you have to have a really good reason to own such a weapon and the Police do take a keen intrest in every application.Any hunter worth their salt would never fire if the animal could not be dispatched quickly.I shoot and if im out of range or could not be sure of a quick kill-i do not take the shot.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Thats why I prefer using dogs to shooting Steve, 100% sure of a fast efficient dispatch or a completely unharmed animal. I shoot some vermin though.
Dawn.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Thats why I prefer using dogs to shooting Steve, 100% sure of a fast efficient dispatch or a completely unharmed animal. I shoot some vermin though.
Dawn.
Have you seen the size of some of these rats though! We had an outbreak a good few years ago (the farmer behind us is one of the worst I've ever known!) and they made a nest under our shed! And OMG!!!! I'm not kidding, they were the size of a Border Terrier! Would a BT really be able to kill an animal that size? I've never seen one in action!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Have you seen the size of some of these rats though!
Yes indeed, its what they were bred for. They can kill a Fox VERY quickly, they have incredibly strong jaws and the average Fox weights a couple of pounds less than a Border or other Terrier.
Dawn.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Have you seen the size of some of these rats though! We had an outbreak a good few years ago (the farmer behind us is one of the worst I've ever known!) and they made a nest under our shed! And OMG!!!! I'm not kidding, they were the size of a Border Terrier! Would a BT really be able to kill an animal that size? I've never seen one in action!
Oh yes we have a fair few large ones round here, and as my aunt own the stables not too far away, they have even larger ones!!!!!!!!!
Pollly being a mini JRT sometimes even struggles, thats where Florrie is good, westei cross dandie dinnmont, nice size, strong jaw and big,hairy soup plate like paws which are good for digginf the bliters out.
I remember a few months back, Polly was dragging something back, and no joke i thought it was a hare!!!!! but on further inspection it was a rat, and a bloody huge on at that!!!!!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
Oh yes we have a fair few large ones round here, and as my aunt own the stables not too far away, they have even larger ones!!!!!!!!!
Pollly being a mini JRT sometimes even struggles, thats where Florrie is good, westei cross dandie dinnmont, nice size, strong jaw and big,hairy soup plate like paws which are good for digginf the bliters out.
I remember a few months back, Polly was dragging something back, and no joke i thought it was a hare!!!!! but on further inspection it was a rat, and a bloody huge on at that!!!!!!!!
I remember when I looked out of the window all those years ago and this thing was so big I couldn't speak. I was terrified.........of a rat!
Don't get me wrong I love pet rats, but these things were a nusiance, cost us a fortune going through the council too!
Will have to remember to use the local terrier people if it ever happens again.
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13