Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
so now according to Adam Christmas is cruel to kids pmsl
don't forget the mental anguish you are causing your dog every time you prepare a meal, take the lead off the hook to go for a walk, get a ball out of the drawer to go play in the garden.

It's a wonder our dogs survive

Adam is so convinced by this argument that he says he uses lots of reward during training. Mmmm!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I kept the prong collar that came with my dog to show anyone local on about getting one how barbaric they are. I've just put it on my arm & applied minimum pressure. I still have marks which are sore & yes it did hurt at the time too. How anyone can say these collars don't inflict pain is beyond me.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
I kept the prong collar that came with my dog to show anyone local on about getting one how barbaric they are. I've just put it on my arm & applied minimum pressure. I still have marks which are sore & yes it did hurt at the time too. How anyone can say these collars don't inflict pain is beyond me.
tried and tested argument over imo, im so glad someone who has one has tried it on themselves to see, and has posted the outcome. and im glad your showing peeps what brutal things they are, well done bint. also adam your not in a position to quote me crap after the crap that spout's out of your mouth all the time
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Adam, with positive, happy training, the whole thing is rewarding - are you incapable of seeing this? The whole exercise is fun, the dog is encouraraged and excited the whole time and the treat, or pat on the head etc. is the icing on the cake. You've seen an example of (I think it was recall) on here and that dog was thrilled to be 'training' the whole time. Your dog, in the same situation but a different type of training looked downright miserable.

The methods you discuss are full of negativity. The dog does not anticipate the treat, or reward; all he can hope for is that the unpleasantness/pain will end soon.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
It hurts doesn't it. Didn't have a prong collar here but tried with what had to hand. There's some real planks around
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh no not another 'Adam's pet thread'.

I am still having nightmares about the last one.

A philosophical question......

When does discomfort become pain?

Put simply, I would say when it changes your behaviour.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
There is no need to use a prong collar or an e-collar on any dog. Simple. There is no argument or debate to be had on that. Its cruel, simple as that. End of.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Nowt n qweer as folk And many are a very big pain with ego to match unfortunately
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Good for you, and I totaly agree - not just with northern breeds
Mia was similar - screaming with frustration when she got to the end of the lead and couldnt make me go further, backing up so she could get a runner and hopefully break my grip, racing round me and nipping my legs and even jumping up and nipping my bum
I could have punished her for all these behaviours and ended up with a dog who plodded at my side with now joy on her walks
But actually in many ways I saw that as a sign of how smart she was seeing what she could do to make me do what she wanted
- so I waited until she tried sitting - then I walked on
So when she gets to the end of the lead and wants to move on she knows she can manipulate me by sitting so when I am stopped talking to friends Mia looks like an amazingly well trained dog sitting waiting - but actually she is asking me if we can get on walking

But without any cruel device she learnt VERY QUICKLY that all her tantrums didnt work and to make me walk on she has to ask nicely

- and if she walks nicely at my side she sometimes gets rewarded with me jogging or walking faster - cos lets face it us humans walk sloooow
I'm guessing here ... is Mia a collie?

Tai barks at us when we stop to chat to friends. Very bad manners which earns him a reprimand.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I'm guessing here ... is Mia a collie?

Tai barks at us when we stop to chat to friends. Very bad manners which earns him a reprimand.
lol yup a collie cross but quite alot of collie there - with the terrier pig headedness and indipendance chucked in

Yeah I made the mistake with Ben waiting till he turned back to me - but he barked at the same time so he figured barking should get me moving
I just have to wait till he isnt barking before I move on so he learns that barking means I dont walk

Its difficult when they are so slectivly smart
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 71 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 > Last »