View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2005, 03:49 PM
If I were you I'd forget about the weighing for a couple of days until Mum has settled a bit more and trusts you handling them.

Let her have as much peace and quiet as possible so yes that means keeping all kids and deffinatly pets away from her.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2005, 03:51 PM
it wont do any harm, the last thing you want to do is give her reason to be funny or harm the pups.
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2005, 03:52 PM
okay, ill keep them away as i have been doing

i wont give her steak, if it will be too much for her

i will wait until friday/saturday to weigh them and just make sure i see them all feed regularly

is that ok?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2005, 03:54 PM
thats all you can do and keep them warm.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 03:54 PM
When we had out litter our bitch was more than happy to have the kids have a peek at the pups but we kept it to a minimum and she was more relaxed with me around than just hubby or the kids. She had no problem with our other dog being around either, infact whilst she went for a wee Jas would quite often lie beside the whelping pit till Tam came back in.

As you haven't had her long and she is a first time mum it probably would be best to keep the 'visitors' to a minimum for the first couple of weeks, or atleast until their eyes open.
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2005, 03:55 PM
we give abbie mince and chicken after she had her pups
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by shibby69
okay, i will i wash my hands thoroughly, and put gloves on.

i try and get her outside before i go near the puppies, because my room is on the front of the house, upstairs, so she may not be able to hear them as much.

i will be careful though.

also, is it wise to keep kids/dogs away from her? i have been doing, but want to make sure im not doing this for no reason
Yes Shibby other dogs carry infection and the bitch will feel they 'threaten' her puppies...take care with children too..
If this was your own bitch who knew you well and trusted you I would not be nearly so cautious ...and gentle handling is normally good for puppies, but the circumstances here are not quite normal and I would take care until the puppies are a bit older and the bitch feels 'safer' and that they need less protection.

ooo yes to steak ..lots of protein..
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2005, 04:15 PM
okay.

i will keep visitors to a minumum, its just that the kids have been really well behaved bless them, and they would like to see the puppies. as the whelping box is in the corner, im going to let them just have a peek, no talking, maybe in a few days or something.

when my dog logan crept in the room (door was open by accident) he stood about 3-4 feet away and just looked, bonnie was okay, and i shooed logi out.

bonnie knows i wont hurt the puppies i think, because today, i had my hand flop over the bed and she nuzzled me and sighed, and hasnt been growling much at all, so maybe she was just being protective the first day, and is getting back to her normal self now

i hope so cause she was very sweet natured 'in general'
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I've been glued to this thread - well done Shibby and well done Bonny; both new at this and have coped so well

Try to get some rest too Shibby - you'll need all your energy in the next few weeks when the pups become mobile and you have to try and keep track of them all

Run free at Rainbow Bridge Henri and Amilie
shibby69
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2005, 07:07 PM
thanks iwlass, the thing is, i do 12 hour days at college too (except wed) from monday to thursday. on friday i am at work (only work experience, i havent started it yet, just started at college).

im up for 6 am and get home just after 6 pm, and get to bed hopefully by 12 if i can
Page 13 of 32 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »