Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I would actually say you've got that the wrong way round. It's the owners with line breed pups who are sitting on time bombs.

Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to debate it but I just wanted to say excellent posts PaddyWack. Eneci also does an excellent job of explaining the reasons why one should never line breed in this thread
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=81678
We'll have to disagree on this point. A lot of thought and research goes in to line breeding. All my dogs are line breed and I dont have a problem with them there temprements are excellent and they have passed all the reccomended health tests.
On the other hand my friends poochon has cost a small fortune with skin complaints and ear problems to name just a few.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont know why you feel I have taken it to heart!

My last post on this thread was about line breeding

I guess dogseys a bit dull at the moment and there is nothing better going on.
I thought these threads were for talking. I guess my point is, just owning both parents is not enough to make you a puppy farmer,
Though I do agree many breeders churning out poor quality dogs do it in that manner,
It looks like you've taken it to heart from my perspective because you're making a point to someone who was already trying to make the exact same point earlier!

Dunno about Dogsey being dull, I'm too busy working to notice tbh!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It looks like you've taken it to heart from my perspective because you're making a point to someone who was already trying to make the exact same point earlier!

Dunno about Dogsey being dull, I'm too busy working to notice tbh!
Ah then you have me wrong from your perspective I think the owning of stud dog and bitch has done its course on this thread now

I guess thats the bad side of having your own business and working from home you end up spending far too much time on dogsey but on the up side the dogs seem to love having mum around all day
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 06:43 AM
My two healthiest dogs I have ever owned was my german Shepherd Sabre who I got given free as a pup because he was from an accidental mating to a friends german shepherd and her neighbours. neither were health tested but he never had a thing wrong all his life apart from when he caught on fire, but that was an accident nothing to do with breeding obviously. he lived to a good age and hips etc were sound all the way.
Also my JRT kandy who came from another haphazzard mating by my ex brother in law and she also cost me nothing.
My unhealthiest dogs which died aged just 4 and 7yrs were my cavaliers which I payed a lot for in those days.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Total opposite for me mate. IMO a good breeder will go to the ends of the earth for a good stud dog, hence the Sire is often not seen. Yes, sometimes a breeder will have bought the dog in or, in the case if Isla's breeders, have bred 2 separate lines to put together. But 9 times out of 10 you'll find it's just a cheap way to produce pups over and over again. I would be very wary of a breeder that advertised as having both parents and would only proceed with extreme caution, once I knew what lines both parents were from and whether it made sense to put both together to produce a litter!
my last litter the stud dog and bitch were here royce and tegan, the next litter the stud dog and bitch will be here holly and kaos , but as to just breeding the same pair over and over, thats not going to happen why would it? , IF I do have another litter after the next one the stud dog will be from Ireland,
I don't know why you've taken this to heart Shona? My point about having both parents ringing alarm bells is all about puppy farmers doing so to make it easier to breed over and over again to make more profit. I never said every breeder who owns both the Sire and Dam are puppy farmers. Isla's breeders owned both parents, as I've already said.

I dont know why you feel I have taken it to heart!

My last post on this thread was about line breeding

I guess dogseys a bit dull at the moment and there is nothing better going on.
I thought these threads were for talking. I guess my point is, just owning both parents is not enough to make you a puppy farmer,
Though I do agree many breeders churning out poor quality dogs do it in that manner,
Yea I think that's enough on the subject, but I just wanted to finish by posting all my posts together as I feel my opinion has been misconstrued. As you'll see above I never said owning both parents is enough to make someone a puppy farmer, but more that I feel it necessary to be cautious if a breeder does own both parents as it's a common way for puppy farmers themselves to maximise their profit.
Originally Posted by Shona
Ah then you have me wrong from your perspective I think the owning of stud dog and bitch has done its course on this thread now

I guess thats the bad side of having your own business and working from home you end up spending far too much time on dogsey but on the up side the dogs seem to love having mum around all day
I guess it can be good to work at home, but I have to say I wouldn't like too. I love going to work and meeting my friends and having a laugh. I'd go mad staring at the same 4 walls all day everyday! For me I think going out to work everyday can do wonders for your soul and mental state. I think it's also excellent for Isla as she's so busy playing and being entertained by the other 3 members of my family she barely notices I'm not there, plus absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Yea I think that's enough on the subject, but I just wanted to finish by posting all my posts together as I feel my opinion has been misconstrued. As you'll see above I never said owning both parents is enough to make someone a puppy farmer, but more that I feel it necessary to be cautious if a breeder does own both parents as it's a common way for puppy farmers themselves to maximise their profit.

I guess it can be good to work at home, but I have to say I wouldn't like too. I love going to work and meeting my friends and having a laugh. I'd go mad staring at the same 4 walls all day everyday! For me I think going out to work everyday can do wonders for your soul and mental state. I think it's also excellent for Isla as she's so busy playing and being entertained by the other 3 members of my family she barely notices I'm not there, plus absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say!
Ah but its not all sitting at home looking at four walls, I have to go to the pubs/nightclubs/venues at night and check on staff. Its a very social job. So guess I get the best of both worlds,

Just to throw a spanner in the works, another way to look at owning the stud dog and bitch for a mating, is
I know both dogs inside out. A while ago there were a few {problems/rumours/ concerns} within rottie stud dogs. One bitch owner was given a really hard time for being too honest about what she got out of a mating to a very popular stud dog { she got two bad mouths in the pups} because she always has details on her web page, she was given a hard time, even though it could have came from the dog or the bitch. Other storys were of some males passing out in hot weather at shows, So not all stud dog owners will be 100% honest with you, the top of the game will cover each others backs, so its hard to get the whole truth from some owners.

Just a thought
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Ah but its not all sitting at home looking at four walls, I have to go to the pubs/nightclubs/venues at night and check on staff. Its a very social job. So guess I get the best of both worlds,
I never said you sat staring at the same four walls, it was just an example!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, another way to look at owning the stud dog and bitch for a mating, is
I know both dogs inside out. A while ago there were a few {problems/rumours/ concerns} within rottie stud dogs. One bitch owner was given a really hard time for being too honest about what she got out of a mating to a very popular stud dog { she got two bad mouths in the pups} because she always has details on her web page, she was given a hard time, even though it could have came from the dog or the bitch. Other storys were of some males passing out in hot weather at shows, So not all stud dog owners will be 100% honest with you, the top of the game will cover each others backs, so its hard to get the whole truth from some owners.

Just a thought
On the other hand owning both Dam and Sire could lead to problems with the breeder/owner being a bit blindsided as to how good their dogs are as people are not always honest with themselves either!

People can love their dogs to bits and for that reason not be forth coming with their dogs faults. When using an outside stud dog you have to match up your bitch to a stud dog which would have to make the person critically analyse their own dogs and the faults within it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I never said you sat staring at the same four walls, it was just an example!

On the other hand owning both Dam and Sire could lead to problems with the breeder/owner being a bit blindsided as to how good their dogs are as people are not always honest with themselves either!

People can love their dogs to bits and for that reason not be forth coming with their dogs faults. When using an outside stud dog you have to match up your bitch to a stud dog which would have to make the person critically analyse their own dogs and the faults within it.
I didnt say you said I sat at home all day, As you say its just an example

The person you describe above shouldnt be breeding, if they are, they are not doing it well, end of

Yes some people can be like that. Then there is me, I have four dogs, two good dogs two not so good, vinnie will never see the show ring hes just not a show dog, but that in its self dont make him a bad dog,

To me when I look at a breeder I want to see so many things, such as Someone who can handle/train the breed,. not somone who gets hung up on silly liitle issues, If they cant handle and train there own dogs then they are not going to be of use to there puppy owners, I would love to see a min working qualification in the show ring for working breeds, someone who knows there blood lines, Health testing, the list is endless.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:01 AM
To go back to the original question (coz im just catching up)... money shouldnt come into the equation at all!

Think about what you want in a dog, temprement, health, potential (for training/shows) if thats what you're into, meet the parents, relatives, the puppies, make a balanced decision. Speak to the breeder, get to know them, is it the type of person you want a dog from?

Once you have the pup, you're a hundred percent certain thats the one you want... ask the price. Then its a simple equation of if you're happy to pay that price for the dog that ticks all your boxes!

In regards to paying more for health tested pups, yes I would, no it doesnt guarantee the dog will be problem free but it does increase the chances x
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post

In regards to paying more for health tested pups, yes I would, no it doesnt guarantee the dog will be problem free but it does increase the chances x
Completely agree, and only choosing a pup where the health results are better than average for the breed.
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >