View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but have LOVED browsing all the pictures of your dogs and children guys. FANTASTIC and just how it should be imo.

Dani, this woman is a total moron! Perhaps you should refer her to my organisation who have statistic to show the benefits companion animals bring to children, such as confidence and strength. I feel sorry for her child! Sorry, harsh I know but grrrrrrrrr!!

p.s. the only thing I worry about having a child with Woody is being able to share the love I have for him (which is huawge) with a small one. Silly I know but it actually really is a worry.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but have LOVED browsing all the pictures of your dogs and children guys. FANTASTIC and just how it should be imo.

Dani, this woman is a total moron! Perhaps you should refer her to my organisation who have statistic to show the benefits companion animals bring to children, such as confidence and strength. I feel sorry for her child! Sorry, harsh I know but grrrrrrrrr!!

p.s. the only thing I worry about having a child with Woody is being able to share the love I have for him (which is huawge) with a small one. Silly I know but it actually really is a worry.
LOL - don't worry, it all comes naturally (well to most of us anyway ). I have four dogs who I love to pieces, but still manage to love Ben (my son) as well
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
dogs and kids mix fine as long as both are supervised and the dog gets plenty of 'time out'...

lets face it, kids just want to pet the dog and play.... dog love it but need time out sometimes....

my children (if i have any)!? will have dogs, and grow up with them
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I have just got into a huge debate on a mums forum as there are some people who seem to find the idea of having a dog and a child as completely selfish and irresponsible.

I posted these pictures and have literally been attacked by a mum who has declared that I am stupid, irresponsible and selfish to have a dog with my child ( albeit she is breedist as she is saying its because he is a staffie and thus a danger to my child)

So honest opinions please- are they really so wrong, or are people missing out on the joy of kids and dogs, or am i dillusional, and my dog is really basically going to attack my child at any minute !!

Obviously you all know what i think really, but I really struggle that people find these photos so abhorrent.

opinions please??
I also haven't read the whole thread (would take me all night) but I love these pics! Both your son and dog look wonderful together .

As for having dogs and children together I think it's fine as long as they're supervised - common sense really innit
hemu
New Member!
Male 

15-11-2009, 03:54 AM
the concept of family dog is still alive!!!!!!!!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I cannot IMAGINE having grown up without dogs. There were always dogs...my grandmother's poodle, my aunt and uncle's Siberian husky, eventually our own dog (first a border collie that was a bad fit and then Pepper, a mutt we had for 14 years).

Kids and dogs are a great mix if the parents are just smart about it.
magix
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2010, 08:06 PM
My son has a great little staffy. Asbo plays with my grandkids all day long with noproblems. I do think it's sensible to never leave a dog alone with a child (any breed) but thats as much for the dogs protection and peace of mind than anything else.
Actually I feel sorry for some of the people who react like the mums you write about. Obviously they know not what they are missing out on. My life is enriched by my dogs.
Duffydils
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I grew up with dogs and when I had a child of my own, she seemed terrified of them. To help her overcome her fear we got one, then another and then a third.

She is fine now

My auntie couldn't have children and tried to adopt ( back in the 70's) and was told that to adopt a child she had to get rid of her border collies - hence to say some small child somewhere was adopted by someone else.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Ruby and my 5 year old son are the best of friends, whenever we are sitting down in the lounge it is always my sons lap that she goes and curls up on I only get cuddles when my son has gone to bed
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I do think family dogs are an important part of children's upbringing personally. Both myself and my husband had dogs all through our developing years and still have. Our kids have always had dogs and now we have grandkids, they too are actively helping with the family dogs. I met a young girl the other day who we see regularly whilst dog walking and they have 2 springers. She told me she is pregnant and sick to death of people when told she's pregnant, saying "when are you getting rid of the dogs then?" As she says, these dogs are like her kids already and she and her partner have no intention of getting rid of them. They realise that there may be a few teething problems due to the fact they treat the dogs like kids, but obviously this is a society opinion now - you can't have dogs and babies.... why not? It has worked for generations so why should it change now?
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 >