Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by dogtired View Post
The question is: Are Pitbulls dangerous. Please stay on subject.

REMINDER: This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be -extra- careful not to post any off-topic replies. We aim to archive these sections as a useful resource. Thanks.
No. Deed not breed

There you go on topic . . .
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 03:12 PM
The question is: Are Pitbulls dangerous. Please stay on subject.

REMINDER: This thread is in one of our more serious sections - so please be -extra- careful not to post any off-topic replies. We aim to archive these sections as a useful resource. Thanks.
What on earth? I'm pretty sure each of my posts was discussing pit bulls. If you can't discuss the matter, then don't discuss it. But to keep flinging a rule in our faces that we are FOLLOWING is ridiculous AND off topic to the extreme.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
No. Deed not breed

There you go on topic . . .
Which is exactly what the crux of the situation is. To say all dogs of one breed are "dangerous" is ridiculous and dangerous in and of itself (it ends up ignoring the fact that dogs of OTHER breeds can and are dangerous as well).

The reality is SOME pit bulls are dangerous. Many are big goofy mushballs of love. To paint them all with the same brush is both stupid and dangerous.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Which is exactly what the crux of the situation is. To say all dogs of one breed are "dangerous" is ridiculous and dangerous in and of itself (it ends up ignoring the fact that dogs of OTHER breeds can and are dangerous as well).

The reality is SOME pit bulls are dangerous. Many are big goofy mushballs of love. To paint them all with the same brush is both stupid and dangerous.
Excatly it can lead to people treating some breeds differently just because they are a certain breed. 'Oh fluffy wont bit hes a xxxx and they arnt nasty' so they let them mouth or in the case of a lot of small dogs get snappy. I have met lots of dogs all different breeds and the only on to ever bite me and mean it (i dont include puppy playing in this when manners are being taught) was a westie.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Pitbulls have killed adults, Pitbulls have killed children, Pitbulls have killed other dogs. It beats me how anyune can consider them dangerous.
footloose again
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Heck, for that matter, we should ban cars and fire. And ban humans too. They kill more humans and dogs every year than dogs do.
Very good point!
tera
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I get asked all the time what breed my 10 month American Bulldog puppy is because he is a standard type which not many people get to see, People always assume he's a pitbull. During the many conversations I'v had with people putting them straight about what breed he is they usually go on to tell me how dangerous pitbulls are and how they should be eradicated or something similar, I ask them why and they usually say it's to do with all the stories they read about in the papers and see on the news...So no actuall proof just what they've read or assume.

I try to educate them about what a wonderfull loving breed they are and how similar they are to staffy's in how they act.

I said to one lady who was really against them "If someone with the same surname as you stole something would that make you a thief ?" She replied no and I walked off letting her try and get it through her thick head.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I read the first few posts and skipped a lot, I don't think they are any more dangerous than any other dog.

I know a yorkie that would take your ankle off if it had any teeth to do it.

I also know quite a few pit bulls and they get along with mine fine. I dont know if anyone else has put this and I'm sorry for repeating if they have but all the banned breeds of dogs if you look into the history, are said to be great family dogs, the pit bull got the nickname "the nanny dog" due to being very good with children.

I had to do a paper for sociology on something to do with the media hype and crimes, I picked the recent rise in dog attacks being in the news and got an A* due to my argument against the animals being at fault, my main argument was about pit bulls.

At the end of the day, it is up to the owner. We have a dog that is dog aggressive and he is kept under control at all times. Responsibility is the key to owning what is classed as a "dangerous" dog.
LittleOscar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I watched over the weekend the usa version of it's me or the dog. Between each ad break they ask a multiple choice question. One of the question was which dog is often called a nanny dog because of it's caring nature to children. Yes we were a little surprised to hear it was a pit bull. With these types of dog it is not necessarily the breed at fault more often the owner. I'm sure there are many people on here who have what is deemed to be an aggressive dog, but because they will have shown their dog love and respect and trained it properly. The dog will be a well behaved much loved pet. I know several people with rotties, staff's etc that are fab dogs.
gooseygander
New Member!
Male 

31-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I read the first few posts and skipped a lot, I don't think they are any more dangerous than any other dog.

I know a yorkie that would take your ankle off if it had any teeth to do it.

I also know quite a few pit bulls and they get along with mine fine. I dont know if anyone else has put this and I'm sorry for repeating if they have but all the banned breeds of dogs if you look into the history, are said to be great family dogs, the pit bull got the nickname "the nanny dog" due to being very good with children.

I had to do a paper for sociology on something to do with the media hype and crimes, I picked the recent rise in dog attacks being in the news and got an A* due to my argument against the animals being at fault, my main argument was about pit bulls.

At the end of the day, it is up to the owner. We have a dog that is dog aggressive and he is kept under control at all times. Responsibility is the key to owning what is classed as a "dangerous" dog.
Pet dog dies after savage attack by pit bulls December 19TH 2010
A DISTRAUGHT dog owner has spoken of her horror after two pit bulls burst into her home and savaged her pet Shih Tzu.
Hazel Pearce, said the two Irish pit bulls ran into her living room after her husband opened the front door to take the rubbish out, smashing through a dog gate and attacking their dog, Sheba.
“They just ripped her to shreds,” said Mrs. Pearce said. “One of her eyes was hanging out after they’d finished with her and she was bleeding all over. It was like something out of a horror film.”
The pit bulls’ owner eventually followed the dogs into the house but was unable to stop the attack until the miniature Sheba had sustained serious injuries.
“I was just in shock,” said Mrs. Pearce. “We knew we had to get her to a vet as soon as possible so we picked her up and rushed off to get help immediately.
“I can’t describe how awful she looked. Her hair had been ripped off and there was blood everywhere. The vet said they’d never seen anything like it.”
Despite the best efforts of the vet, Sheba had to put down because of the severity of her injuries.
Police are now investigating the attack, which took place last Saturday, and are trying to trace the owner of the pit bulls.
“To have something like this happen in your own home is terrifying,” said Mrs. Pearce. “I can’t understand why their owner didn’t have them on a lead.
“Those vicious beasts should be put down. Next time it might be a child they savage to death.”
A police spokeswoman said: “We have been trying to contact the owner but he has disappeared.
“We are appealing to the owner to contact us as soon as possible so we can progress our enquiries.”
Page 121 of 132 « First < 21 71 111 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 131 > Last »