View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Its definatly going ahead this is what i have just read.

Scientists are about to recreate the conditions that existed a tiny fraction of a second after the universe was created. The post-Big Bang experiment is being carried out on the French/Swiss border using a machine which cost almost £5 billion to build.
The Large Hadron Collider will accelerate matter to almost light speed and then smash tiny particles together.
Scientists at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (Cern) are pressing ahead with the experiment despite warnings that it could destroy the universe.
Cosmologists think an explosion of an object the size of a small coin occurred about 13.7 billion years ago and led to the formation of all matter.
A key aim of the experiment is to find the Higgs boson, the so-called 'God particle' that some theorists believe give matter its mass.
But the experiment, which will take place deep underground inside a 17-mile tunnel, could shed light on other mysteries like the existence of supersymmetry, dark matter and dark energy.
Some critics claim it will create 'black holes' of intense gravity that could implode the Earth, or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a 'worm hole' in space-time.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I think the whole project is very exciting
It may answer many questions and could hold the key to providing an alternative energy source (maybe nuclear fusion )to replace our depleted resources.
I agree, there is so much to undcover through this.

It is no up and running, just after half past eight.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 08:48 AM
we are still here yipeee
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Do I do the house work or do I say sod it,
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
so has the 'experiement' started?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
what a loads cr*p.....

stood round a computer clapping.... why?!

why not spend the 5 billion helping the people in the world that really need it

there are people starving and dying .... and they would rather do some stupid experiment than help those people....utterly selfish......

suze does not support this is any way....... lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
Well should I say hello or good-bye On a lighter side all of us here in the states at least wouldn't have to worry about "Alaska Barbie" being President here some day if the Republicans get in the White House this November. (of course she is running as vice Pres but the rep. candidate is 72 yrs old.) we need your prayers LOL
I was thinking the same thing! You've got my prayers on that one thrown in with my other prayers on the big black hole! Lol!

ONE HOUR FROM NOW is the deadline So far, they've managed to get the thingamigig going around the whole of the circuit, which is a very important part, BUT, they haven't got up to the speed they want yet (just below the speed of light) and that will be happening in one hour's time!!!

I've made my birthday cake and I'm gonna eat it all within the next hour, I won't be waiting till tomorrow - do you wanna bit then Lise, tomorrow might be too late!!!!???
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi H, I am here with my plate
I am certain we will all be here tomorrow (for ever the optimist!!) but just in case I will help you eat your cake today but I will save the singing of happy birthday til tomorrow
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by buzzie View Post
Well should I say hello or good-bye On a lighter side all of us here in the states at least wouldn't have to worry about "Alaska Barbie" being President here some day if the Republicans get in the White House this November. (of course she is running as vice Pres but the rep. candidate is 72 yrs old.) we need your prayers LOL
Was wondering what you thought about the 'gun toting, moose hunting, mother of five' to quote what the press over here have dubbed her.

Anyway, the 'monster in the mountain' has started whizzing around and in an hour will be up to speed, if we all go into this 'black hole' at least you'll be sleeping and will wake up ten trillion miles away
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
lol at losos's black hole
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »