View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree with your last statement, thats why I said IMO....I don't allow mine to walk ahead....or tow/tug/pull me along.
But I am aware that many many people have different idea's...wouldn't do for everyone to be like me...we'd get bored with each other I much prefer a steady comfortable walk (on lead) now-a-days....I'm not as young as I used to be off lead they usually walk ahead of me....
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-06-2008, 11:50 AM
yeah ive got no opinion on it myself - kind of wish i followed it as a precedence to begin with as i see its merits - but as two out of three are faily decent walkers in front of me - feel awkward about reinventing the wheel with them....

'youngstevie' surely not an old duffer in disguise?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
yeah ive got no opinion on it myself - kind of wish i followed it as a precedence to begin with as i see its merits - but as two out of three are faily decent walkers in front of me - feel awkward about reinventing the wheel with them....

'youngstevie' surely not an old duffer in disguise?
Afraid so .....the user name is not quite accurate.

Doesn't mean you have to reel them all in by the way, firstly just try rattleing the tin at GSD...only, the others may pull back alittle but do it when GSD is pulling.....you can use with the idea a firm NO directed at her. Do you have somone else who can walk along side with the other two...this will still promote pulling from her then you have a free hand to use to 'rattle', but I also agree with Halti's, I did use one once on a BC (now departed) and found them a very good tool also.

PS....both idea's take alot of time....
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Afraid so .....the user name is not quite accurate.

Doesn't mean you have to reel them all in by the way, firstly just try rattleing the tin at GSD...only, the others may pull back alittle but do it when GSD is pulling.....you can use with the idea a firm NO directed at her. Do you have somone else who can walk along side with the other two...this will still promote pulling from her then you have a free hand to use to 'rattle', but I also agree with Halti's, I did use one once on a BC (now departed) and found them a very good tool also.
haha

yeah ill give it a crack - hard with hands full but ill have a stab at it - its kind of what the choke does IMO now as the jangle has she pulls is sometimes, though admiitedly not always, enough
definately gonna give the halti a crack
as for someone walking with me, my little girl offers to take the cav, gets bored halfsway up the lane and i find myself stuck juggling three dogs and a stroppy little madame who doesnt want to walk any further
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
haha

yeah ill give it a crack - hard with hands full but ill have a stab at it - its kind of what the choke does IMO now as the jangle has she pulls is sometimes, though admiitedly not always, enough
definately gonna give the halti a crack
as for someone walking with me, my little girl offers to take the cav, gets bored halfsway up the lane and i find myself stuck juggling three dogs and a stroppy little madame who doesnt want to walk any further
Well your daughter can join my 'Stroppy Teenage Foster son then'

If you find it too much, as you need to be quite accurate with your rattle, then defo try a Halti...it maybe alot easier on you.....
Steve Wishart
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Choke Chains, Prong Collars, Half Check Choke Chains etc. are all pretty useless.

A dog pulls to get away, the collar was designed by a human with human thinking way too much. If you pull a dog back on a collar, it'll only pull more so, a choke chain or anything that restricts breathing or causes pain is utterly pointless. The dog learns nothing except that he is in pain or serious discomfort and he must try harder to get away from that pain by pulling more and thus a vicious circle is created.

Dogs can be trained easily to walk on leads, it doesn't take too long at all, only a bit of reading up on it is needed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Wishart View Post
Choke Chains, Prong Collars, Half Check Choke Chains etc. are all pretty useless.

A dog pulls to get away, the collar was designed by a human with human thinking way too much. If you pull a dog back on a collar, it'll only pull more so, a choke chain or anything that restricts breathing or causes pain is utterly pointless. The dog learns nothing except that he is in pain or serious discomfort and he must try harder to get away from that pain by pulling more and thus a vicious circle is created.

Dogs can be trained easily to walk on leads, it doesn't take too long at all, only a bit of reading up on it is needed.
I agree Steve...but some people also need to be shown or ask for advice. Maybe you could give some idea's too. Readings fine, but what works for other's is also very useful....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Wishart View Post

Hi Steve you seem to share the view of those who have left the dark ages behind, good to have you around...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Steve you seem to share the view of those who have left the dark ages behind, good to have you around...

bless I dont thing we have many members on here living in the dark ages.
I think most on here try to offer those who use chains other methods of training.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
bless I dont thing we have many members on here living in the dark ages.
I think most on here try to offer those who use chains other methods of training.
Originally Posted by Minihaha

Yes Shona I agree actually I didn't say we had any members who are in the dark ages, but if you read through this thread you might spot the odd one who can't see what harm choke chains and similar devices can cause even if used for a short period of time.
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >