View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I think I have one of the most classic breeds regarding breeding for show,working and thats my Cocker.It's very obvious the difference in looks.In saying that my Cocker was bred for show but by god he'd run all day every day if I allowed him to.Whether he sustained injuries trying to do what a working Cocker does is another matter, xxxxxxxxx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think most people with working ISDS lines want to work their dogs though, not show. I understand your point, but really feel that the working border collie is better left out of the show ring and the shepherds and farmers continue to concentrate on producing healthy, well bred, working dogs.
Well if they wont show i dont really think they can moan about the state of the breed then.

If working people really feel theirs is the true example of the BC then they should get out there & show them off, maybe then they could turn the breed around?

If they "arent" bothered about showing then i cant see why they are bothered if a show bred dog can work or not.

just having a think!

There are roughly about 5/6 types of BC

1.ISDS bred that work, that look like a collie should
2.ISDS bred that work but look like a colliex hunatawayx whippett
3.KC reg bc, mainly foreign lines, very extreme heads & Coat
4.KC reg BCs, English lines, less extreme look more like dogs in "type 1"
5.KC reg BC, mix of types 3&4, not so extreme but very glamorous
6.Pet bred, have abit of instinct but not much, not much up to breed standard either, general nice temperments etc & a jack of all trades!
7.Sports bred WS, Not KC breed reg or ISDS but generally will contain a mix of one or another of these lines further back, but have recently been bred from other sporting BCs & can be very typey, lines are easily distinguishable
8, Sports Bred BC, as above but are also KC breed reg, eg the "sealights"

Something for every taste!!!!!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Dalmation's in the pastoral group?, not know owt about them, what was there original work? I would like a boxer to be fit and healthy and was able to run all day and be able to do something rather than left as a redunant couch patatoe.

I would like also a job a boxer could do, why couldn't they help with police and protection work they are brainy enough? I would be suprised if they could herd sheep there to playful and I imagine the sheep would be running of in all directions, shouting to the boxer catch me if you can.

I also think the KC should rethink it's working group's due to the new docking laws.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi ZB,

Dalmations are in the Utility group!

I think they use to run with the carriages as their job.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't Dalmation's in the pastoral group?, not know owt about them, what was there original work? I would like a boxer to be fit and healthy and was able to run all day and be able to do something rather than left as a redunant couch patatoe.

I would like also a job a boxer could do, why couldn't they help with police and protection work they are brainy enough? I would be suprised if they could herd sheep there to playful and I imagine the sheep would be running of in all directions, shouting to the boxer catch me if you can.

I also think the KC should rethink it's working group's due to the new docking laws.
Why???

Debs
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Because they are now not working dog's as they once was, and there are plenty of working dog's to be docked and have papers to prove they are working dog's.So Imo only true working dog's should be in the working group, sorry Imac maybe they should be in the utility instead, they should put boxers and not working anymore dogs in a diffrent group to suit the diffrent rules, i'm sorry if i'm not making myself to clear its just i know what i'm talking about and then theres typing it in, sorry guy's off to have a think.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2008, 11:25 AM
The vast majority of breeds are grouped according to their origins - at least their origins not too far back in time. There are exceptions of course. This serves to remind breeders, exhibitors and judges of why the dogs' standards were drawn up and hopefully keep the working traits in mind.

Debs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post

Boxers are and have been used in police work, they where also used as messenger dogs in WW1 (not that I would want them to do that job again ) they have also been used as Guide Dogs.

As far as I know most well bred healthy Boxers can could run or work all day, if they are given a job..those that are, do it well.

Mind I like them being couch potato`s also
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Boxers are and have been used in police work, they where also used as messenger dogs in WW1 (not that I would want them to do that job again ) they have also been used as Guide Dogs.

As far as I know most well bred healthy Boxers can could run or work all day, if they are given a job..those that are, do it well.

Mind I like them being couch potato`s also

I would like to see them doing the police thing again, just something to keep them active we are also trying the agility thing with them as you know they are very agile.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 05:22 PM
difference in looks.In saying that my Cocker was bred for show but by god he'd run all day every day if I
I know someone who does work their show cockers. I think he had a show cocker and then got involved in shooting. TBH, they aren't very good. Yes, they can run, and do probably flush out birds, but I wouldn't say they are actually hunting and they definitely don't retrieve. He did have a litter out of one of them and used a working cocker as a stud dog and the resulting pup did have some working ability, but I would say not as much as a pure working.

They are great little dogs though

Helen
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >