Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
the current law relates to "TYPE" and any possible action will have to do the same, whether its wiping them out or anything else. I think we agree on this?

SO I refer to my earlier Q's,
How do you id a pitbull in the UK?
What is a pitbull in the UK?
How do propose to "wipe them out" given the law states that any legal pb should be nuetered. That leaves a mass cull, no?
and makes my other Qs VERY important.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...h+Images&gbv=2

Pitbulls are not hard to distinguish
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...h+Images&gbv=2

Pitbulls are not hard to distinguish
Regarding the police in the UK they are.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I do because a dog from two legal breeds could very well be described as type,when people buy a crossbreed pup do you really know how it's going to turn out,or should we cull all the pups just in case
People should not be buying crossbreeds IMO. They should not be funding puppy farmers and money makers and people who crossbreed irresponsibly are diong just that !!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Regarding the police in the UK they are.
Well I dont really agree with the BSL to be honest, but hey if they sieze one wrong dog in the hope of saving a childs; life then I don't care. Children are more important I'm afraid.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:34 PM
People should not be buying crossbreeds IMO. They should not be funding puppy farmers and money makers and people who crossbreed irresponsibly are diong just that !!
I agree but that does not mean I want innocent dogs dead!

How are you going to stop that problem?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:36 PM
but we are not just talkling about people buying crossbreeds what about all the xbreeds in rescue - what do we do with them - pts them all ? that would have to happen if you want to eradicate all pitbull "type " dogs. that is sal's point its not just deliberate breeding that coudl result in a type dog.

my staffy as a rescue could be deemed of type, he is taller than an average staff and v.muscular. That in itself is really worrying, and its why i dont beleive that BSL or the DDA is going to make any difference to the main issue which once again is the PEOPLE BEHIND THE DANGEROUS DOGS not the breeds themselves
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Well I dont really agree with the BSL to be honest, but hey if they sieze one wrong dog in the hope of saving a childs; life then I don't care. Children are more important I'm afraid.
It's not as easy as that I'm afraid,if they seize a dog they can't just PTS,unless the owner gives permission,it's down to the courts to grant a destruction order which can be appealled against.
Bearing in mind this can take years and the poor dog stuck in kennels
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 06:37 PM
PB TYPE are extremely easy to ID but difficult to ID CORRECTLY, I refer to my post on my staffies. BUT that aside the info from the government in previous posts states that Home Office 1992 – “Under the Act any dog which has the characteristics of the type known as a pit bull terrier is regarded as being of that type, irrespective of parentage.”

so potentially...
LAB X BOXER = culled?
mastiff = culled?
any bull breed = culled?
etc

Cross breeding aside, there are a few pedigree dogs that could EASILY be labelled "TYPE" as they DO NOT have to actually be PB!

There must be millions of dogs in the UK, what percentage are not papered? what of that percentage meet "TYPE"?
at least thousands!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree but that does not mean I want innocent dogs dead!

How are you going to stop that problem?
The police are not mistaking purebred dogs of other breeds, they are mistaking crossbred dogs for APBTs, therefore if people stopped crossbreeding they wouldnt be in fear of producing something that could be mistaken, and if they ignore that important factor, then that's their problem in the first place for being a moron and continuing to crossbreed.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:39 PM
The police are not mistaking purebred dogs of other breeds, they are mistaking crossbred dogs for APBTs, therefore if people stopped crossbreeding they wouldnt be in fear of producing something that could be mistaken, and if they ignore that important factor, then that's their problem in the first place for being a moron and continuing to crossbreed.
Oh yes they are,KC Reg Staffords have been mistaken for pitts and seized.
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 37 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »