View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Please note Posting Guidelines rule 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 as these address conduct in discussions. Offending posts will be deleted shortly - please do not respond to them.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I dont think it would be fair on the breeders who's dogs end up in rescue,if they had no knowledge or chance to take them back.
I think that if the rescues know whos dogs they are they shouldnt contact them unless they will let them have them back .
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:16 PM
fwiw I do believe there are some genuine/ethical/reputable breeders out there, reading Mahooli's posts (not just on this thread) confirms this to me. Unfortunately in my line of work all I seem to come across are the bybs/pfs and too many of the "so called" ethical breeders. Paddywack is right it's the so called ethical breeders who give the genuine ethical breeders a bad name. I think a list like the one suggested would help rectify this problem, there needs to be a clear distinction between those breeders who say one thing but don't follow through to those who do exactly what they say they do.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
.......................... You have...i mentioned it earlier. So you imply you have been rude to someone else? Besides, objecting to rudeness doesnt change just because it doesnt mention me.

I never implied anything and am quite sick of this !!

YOU quoted ME as being rude to YOU.

I was not rude to you, and the fact that you keep going back to edit your post before it registers really makes no difference.

You are the rude one here !
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
fwiw I do believe there are some genuine/ethical/reputable breeders out there, reading Mahooli's posts (not just on this thread) confirms this to me. Unfortunately in my line of work all I see to come across are the bybs/pfs and too many of the "so called" ethical breeders. Paddywack is right it's the so called ethical breeders who give the genuine ethical breeders a bad name. I think a list like the one suggested would help rectify this problem, there needs to be a clear distinction between those breeders who say one thing but don't follow through to those who do exactly what they say they do.

And will we all be able to get a copy? how will it be distrubuted?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:32 PM
havent read all posts - just from where people were arguing

but basically - if all breeders were registered etc - no byb etc - an all pups were chipped/tatooed/tagged etc - then any dog that coudl nto be kept by the person who it was sold to, the breeder should be contacted and the dog then has to go in kennels -

the breeder should then pay its boarding fees, vet fees etc - make the breeder think twice about who they sell the dog to.......

oh - and if the breeder couldnt pay the fees they should have ablack mark next to their name on the breeders register - then people can see that - it should stay on for 6 months???

BUT

if the breeder could take the dog back - then great - they should then re-home the dog

again this is this thing i keep harping on about - register every dog in this country - and if any dog is picked up without a tag/chip etc tracing them back to a registered breeder - owner fined etc etc (if the owner can be found)
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
And will we all be able to get a copy? how will it be distrubuted?
I dunno :smt102 I'm just saying I think it's a good idea, someone else can do all the hard work
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:39 PM
maybe if the so called good people, ie Rescue groups didnt continually come across as condesending, and we are better than you,they might get a better response from breeders and then the dogs would be better off all round and a list wouldnt be needed.
it seems to me if you all are to help the animals then you need to work together and an attack list would just be declaring war.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by scottish boxer View Post
I read all through this with interest , working in rescue we contact a breeder when we know we are being asked to rehome one of their dogs maybe we have just been unlucky but so far none want to know and to be honest I dont think they care
I know the feeling well, also working in breed rescue.

I always make a courtesy call (not a ticking off) to breeders if a dog comes in with papers, just to let them know that we have a dog of their breeding, I don't say one of their dogs as once sold the dog then becomes someone elses dog. I don't ask the breeders to take back their dogs and it is not for financial gain, we pay out more on each dog than we ask for donations. We fundraise all year to make up the shortfall.

Only once did a breeder say that they wanted to take back the dog they had bred until they realised that we were in Yorkshire and they were in Middlesex - unless, of course, we were happy to take the 4 month old pup back to them at our expense! Other than that breeder not one has offered to help in any way with dogs they have bred, one actually said "What do you want me to do, you're the rescue - Get on with it", with comments like that is it surprising that rescues don't have much time for breeders.

Most of the BYB and those who have only had one litter, don't see themselves as being (a) breeders or (b) unethical!!

One question that I always ask people who are handing in their dogs is "Have they rung the breeder?", it is surprising how many people buy dogs and can't remember who they bought it from. If I had handed over several hundred pounds I would know who I had given my money to! It could be that they just don't want to ring the breeder for whatever reason they might have.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=novavizz;1191244]I know the feeling well, also working in breed rescue.

I always make a courtesy call (not a ticking off) to breeders if a dog comes in with papers, just to let them know that we have a dog of their breeding, I don't say one of their dogs as once sold the dog then becomes someone elses dog. I don't ask the breeders to take back their dogs and it is not for financial gain, we pay out more on each dog than we ask for donations. We fundraise all year to make up the shortfall.

Only once did a breeder say that they wanted to take back the dog they had bred until they realised that we were in Yorkshire and they were in Middlesex - unless, of course, we were happy to take the 4 month old pup back to them at our expense! Other than that breeder not one has offered to help in any way with dogs they have bred, one actually said "What do you want me to do, you're the rescue - Get on with it", with comments like that is it surprising that rescues don't have much time for breeders.

why didnt you take it back?...
Page 12 of 25 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »