View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
there is no need to repeat yourself spot.

All I can say is that at least puppy farmers are giving homes to dogs - I am not talking about pounds - I am talking about shelters that rescue, and would rather see a dog die than return to a breeder - and these do exist.

A close friend of mine had a litter where mum wouldn't feed - knew there was a rescue with a potential foster mum, and was told - in no uncertain terms - that because she was a breeder, they would take the babies, but the breeder would have no say in where they went, or what would happen to them, and would never be allowed to see them again. as it happens, that breeder found another breeder to foster - things went very smoothly from there on.

xx
Can you point me in a direction of a shelter that put dogs to sleep that isnt a local pound please, rescues will put dogs to sleep if they are very ill or some if they are aggressive but not if they are suitable for rehoming. Again there are many rescues working damn hard out there to try and get these dogs out of pounds where they are in danger but there are just not the spaces for all the dogs in rescue right now.

Im sorry but please show me a puppy farmer that is giving dogs to homes! What do you think these wonderful puppy farmers do with their unsold stock or ex breeding bitches?

So you friend wanted a rescue to foster her puppies and then give them back to her to sell on, did she not have a backup in place as this does happen and most breeders would have some sort of assistance from the breed clubs.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:35 PM
As I sadi - there are rescues who destroy as well. it is not just pounds.

xx
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:37 PM
just to add - no-one likes puppy farmers - They are the scum of the earth... but then, so are shelters that kill in my opinion. I can't ever see a reason for it
I have a strict non-distruction policiy but I can't blame rescues that don't as they're helping the dogs that I can't take in because I'm full. Anyone involved in rescue doesn't want to destroy dogs but have too because there aren't enough homes. What do you suggest that they keep building kennels and just keep the dogs jailed for life???
A better sugestion would be to put a hold on all breeding until these dogs all find homes
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
Good on you, if only everyone else did the same
Exactly AllBreeds, but as I want to show, I can't do that. And that is not a bad thing, but you are trying to make out that it is!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

i don't recall mentioning dogs. it was young rats actually - and it's not easy to find fosters all the time - because the foster mother needs to have had her litter on the same day.

I do not have the time to go trawling for kill shelters right now - but surely, you can't be so naive as to think they don't exist. not all rescues are good/saintly you know

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:40 PM
What do you suggest that they keep building kennels and just keep the dogs jailed for life???
over destroying the dogs? yes. i do.

a good rescue will be able to provide suitable accomodation for a dog in the long term.

xx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
What do you suggest that they keep building kennels and just keep the dogs jailed for life???
A better sugestion would be to put a hold on all breeding until these dogs all find homes
May be returning some of them to their breeder instead of giving them a ticking off,and let them find suitable homes,some breeders are horrified when any dogs they have bred turn up in rescue.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 05:43 PM
i don't recall mentioning dogs. it was young rats actually - and it's not easy to find fosters all the time - because the foster mother needs to have had her litter on the same day.

I do not have the time to go trawling for kill shelters right now - but surely, you can't be so naive as to think they don't exist. not all rescues are good/saintly you know

xx
But you feel they are the lesser of 2 evils, puppy farmers and pounds/kill shelters! These shelters are not bringing into the world more ill bred dogs to end up in rescue as allbreeds has said most are contracted to take dogs in. Again what would you do with the surplus and what do you think puppy farmers do with their surplus stock?

No Im not that naive to believe that dogs are pts every day, but Im also not that niave to think there are enough rescue spaces for all the dogs out there that need one or that puppy farmers are in any way better than shelters.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:47 PM
over destroying the dogs? yes. i do.

a good rescue will be able to provide suitable accomodation for a dog in the long term.

xx
sorry but that's down right cruel, keeping a dog kenneled for years on end is not better than being put out of their misery
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
May be returning some of them to their breeder instead of giving them a ticking off,and let them find suitable homes,some breeders are horrified when any dogs they have bred turn up in rescue.
I couldn't allow myself to do this as breeders are the reason so many dogs die in the first place
Page 12 of 39 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »