Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd

What would be worse though Mini? A kangaroos doo dah or a dogs tail, I know which I'd go for and I'd know where it'd been too.

And no I'm not talking about the kangaroo thanks!
...i'll pass on both if you don't mind
(*Mini whispers to herself we get some odd types on DW these days * )
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
...i'll pass on both if you don't mind
(*Mini whispers to herself we get some odd types on DW these days * )
Ah well more for me then! I'll get out me carving knives. :smt027

And I'm not odd, just unpleasantly surprising!

Hence the carving knives!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Puppy dogs' tails usually got fed to the ferrets

The thought occurs that while discussing what is 'natural' in tails should it not also be considered that some dogs have been deliberately bred to have thin, whippy tails, or tails with luxuriant feathering, both of which render them susceptible to injury. Therefore the breeders of such dogs must surely be as open to disapproval as those that dock for prophylactic reasons?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Puppy dogs' tails usually got fed to the ferrets

The thought occurs that while discussing what is 'natural' in tails should it not also be considered that some dogs have been deliberately bred to have thin, whippy tails, or tails with luxuriant feathering, both of which render them susceptible to injury. Therefore the breeders of such dogs must surely be as open to disapproval as those that dock for prophylactic reasons?
Which breeds are we thinking of? Just so I can try and answer the question properly!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Which breeds are we thinking of? Just so I can try and answer the question properly!
Practically any breeds that fit the description I suppose examples may be Dalmatians, Greyhounds, Spaniels. Are their tails natural, or have they been selectively bred for elegance, aerodynamics, beauty, etc.?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Practically any breeds that fit the description I suppose examples may be Dalmatians, Greyhounds, Spaniels. Are their tails natural, or have they been selectively bred for elegance, aerodynamics, beauty, etc.?
If their tails are natural perhaps, but if the dog is primarily docked in the show ring I doubt it. I can't see how having a elegant or aerodynamic tail would help the dog especially in the show ring as most state the tail has to be "in balance" with the rest of the dog.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

05-12-2005, 03:17 AM
I think we may be straying into the stormy waters of breeding for appearance. My fault

Back on the track of vets opposing tail docking, this is from the NZ Vizsla Newsletter, March 2002. I wonder of perhaps the same situation applies in the UK?

But the vets themselves (who know best) are against docking

I must correct this statement. The Vets are not united in this call, only the Veterinary Body is. In this issue the Vets simply do not know best. The only education that most vets ever get is to be told never to dock?

It gets even worse than that. It seems that the Veterinary profession is the only profession that actively discourages their members from even discussing the subject. Not only are vets not taught docking, they cannot even learn it from their peers and are frowned upon if they bring up the subject. No wonder there is so much misinformation even among well trained and otherwise respected veterinarians.

I ask you to consider why the veterinary association, when it has publicly agreed that there is overwhelming evidence that there is no discernable pain; when it has stated in their own minutes that there is a noticeable rise in tail injuries in traditionally docked breeds in countries after tail banning has been in place for a short time; when it has publicly done these things why still ask for a tail docking ban?

The answer is either one of two things: either they look favourably on the projected income from prolonged repairing of damaged tails (I doubt it, most vets I know are genuinly caring people); or their body is taking the stand of the "politically correct", making themselves look good by appealing to the unknowing public who have been fed on the false advertising by the likes of the RSPCA.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Shadowboxer what was the deciding argument for a tail docking ban in Australia? Was it just evidence which the veterinary body supplied? Or was it something else?
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2005, 01:11 PM
having 2 boxers who are docked i decided to get their puppies done as well they were 2 days old when the vet came to the house. i must admit i was a coward and stayed out of the room but not a peep was heard . the pups werent banded they were cut off then dipped in black powder not a bit of blood.i must admit seeing 7 little tails in a bowl was a bit freaky but my point is there was no crying from them and all just went back to sleep so yes i would dock again and prefer a docked dog
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
my reasons for not agreeing that Tail docking is necessary

Bruno is not a breed that would be docked in the first place - but this is why if he was I wouldnt ever get it done again !!

Expressions of the tail:

Tail up with top tip curled into body = happy doggy

as above whilst walking = alert and energetic

tail sticking straight out almost inline with spine - spotted something , at attention

tail out with tip pointing down - waiting

as above but goign up and down - we like to call it the pump handle - on a mission to get to/at something/very excited !!

tail tucked down - nervous/unhappy

tail between legs - scared/unsure

tail going side to side - happy
tail whipping side to side - very happy
tail whipping off either side of body - deliriously happy.
tail wagging - when i speak to him in a pretty girly voice - he likes that !!
tail whacked off radiators whilst running around the house - very very hyper and excitable
tail whagging, stopping, wagging, stopping - i want to play.....now......

tail sticking straight up in the air - his pepe le pue impression !!!! LOL

tail all of a sudden wags very slowly whilst sleeping or in the car - close your noses peeps cos I just let one go !!!!!

basically - my point - without Bruno's tail it wouldnt be as much fun - he loves it, he was born with it, its there for a reason. Without it, his body language would be completely different.

My Oh used to have a gorgeous rottie called Tara who was a big lump - she had a docked tail and I did love her wee waggy stump - but thats all it did - if she was happy it wagged - if she wasnt nothing moved so how could I identify her interest etc ?

For me - there is a reason for a dogs tail - end of story - we dont need our ears do we ?? the inside is actually what allows us to hear - so why have the funny shaped thing on the outside - but wouldnt we look funny without it ??

i believe its a cosmetic thing that has been changed by humans at some point.

wolves have tails, dogs evolved from them, if they didnt need them then they would evolve again and be born without them...

JMO obviously - but boy do I love my wee mans tail !! as does he....

dani
Page 12 of 33 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »