Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I completely agree, if you ask me the absolute worst for abusive training methods is the gundog world.
That is why I had to get out of it. For every wonderful handler there is an abusive one (or so it seems).

I have watched a Spaniel being chucked into a river. Many Spaniels being lifted up and carried by the scruff of the neck (all paws off the floor). A Weim pushed down into the mud and forced to lie on its back as 'punishment'. Dogs being hit with sticks or kicked for not coming back fast enough. God knows how many dogs being scruffed.

I didn't last long at that training group as you might imagine.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Is this dog made of tripe?
How does it see anything!!!!'
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That is why I had to get out of it. For every wonderful handler there is an abusive one (or so it seems).

I have watched a Spaniel being chucked into a river. Many Spaniels being lifted up and carried by the scruff of the neck (all paws off the floor). A Weim pushed down into the mud and forced to lie on its back as 'punishment'. Dogs being hit with sticks or kicked for not coming back fast enough. God knows how many dogs being scruffed.

I didn't last long at that training group as you might imagine.
My OH tells some truly awful stories. A lot of "old school" types who think trainIng involves beating a dog up at every opportunity and then being proud of how your dOg cowers along behind you. OH, in his youth, once beat up a guy after he lost the plot watching him with his dog, and he is the calmest person I know normally.

So yes I would say the gundog world attracts a lot of the wrong type, Schutzund I dOnt think as much, my impression is its all about control rather than aggression?

Even in agility we meet macho guy types who are abusive......it occurs everywhere
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Blimey! I saw this thread this morning but have had too much to do today to respond and i still haven't seen the vid. I can imagine what it's like though, judging by the comments.

For what it is worth, i don't see a problem with schutzhund. When i first heard about it, i thought why on earth would anyone want their dog to do something like that, but the more i read about it, the more i realised how much control a handler has to have on their dog, and how much work goes into training for it. Not something i would want to do, i'll stick with gundogs, but i can respect the people who do; well the majority. You are always going to have arsehole's doing any sport so i don't think it is fair to tar everyone with the same brush.

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I agree, there are people like the bloke in the video in all walks of life, not sure anyone disputes this, but there seems to be an attraction for a certain type in this sport.
There are stereotypes in all dog sports ...

Schutzhund - macho men
Showing - gay men or middled aged Mrs Bucket types
Sheepdog trials - Old men
Gundogs - wax jackets and tweeds
Agility/Flyball - young girls with border collies

They are just stereotypes though - and do not encompass everyone taking part.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I've seen some awful handlers but i think the problem is, that there are a lot of "non dog" people in the gundog world. They start shooting and then get a dog, so aren't really dog people. Doesn't excuse the fact though.

Helen
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Oh my goodness - what on earth is everyone arguing about? Nobody condones abuse no matter what discipline they are involved in. Full stop.

People are being really childish!
Best post of the thread!

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
What is with the randOm capitals???
I don't know but its making me giGgle.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
There are stereotypes in all dog sports ...

Schutzhund - macho men
Showing - gay men or middled aged Mrs Bucket types
Sheepdog trials - Old men
Agility/Flyball - young girls with border collies

They are just stereotypes though - and do not encompass everyone taking part.
You forgot gundog training - macho men, Mrs Bucket types, old men and maybe the odd young girl (minus the border collie). Quite accurate actually!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
You forgot gundog training - macho men, Mrs Bucket types, old men and maybe the odd young girl (minus the border collie). Quite accurate actually!
Wonder which one I am?

Helen
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
Best post of the thread!

I don't know but its making me giGgle.
Lol I can't figure out why it's doing it!!!!
Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »