Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
It depends what you classify by harm. By their very design Prong collars are designed to assert pressure and discomfort in a way that can cause pain. So yes they are designed to cause harm the samd way Choke chains are. Personally I would want them to ban Prong collars along with Choke chains which are just as barbaric and have no place in Dog training.
Can, not necessarily will. Used well check/choke chains work by a momentary check, not by choking (dogs can choke more on a flat collar) but often much more importantly by using the noise, even without tightening onto the neck (hence the need to use them with some slack, on a loose lead), as an interruptive attention-getter, as do martingale collars so they also may cause harm but are not "designed" to do so. To "design" them to cause harm would be counter productive. Whether or not they achieve the desired effect, what would be the point of damaging the dog in the process?

If you read my other posts in this thread will you see I do not like pinch collars and I have seen harm that could only have been caused by a pinch collar, but that does not mean that are designed to do so, not that other "kind" equipment cannot cause damage under some circumstances.

Some of the worse wounds I have seen have been from horribly embedded flat collars. I have also seen harm caused by clickers with noise phobic dogs.

IME things are rarely black and white.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Can, not necessarily will. Used well check/choke chains work by a momentary check, not by choking (dogs can choke more on a flat collar) but often much more importantly by using the noise, even without tightening onto the neck (hence the need to use them with some slack, on a loose lead), as an interruptive attention-getter, as do martingale collars so they also may cause harm but are not "designed" to do so. To "design" them to cause harm would be counter productive. Whether or not they achieve the desired effect, what would be the point of damaging the dog in the process?

If you read my other posts in this thread will you see I do not like pinch collars and I have seen harm that could only have been caused by a pinch collar, but that does not mean that are designed to do so, not that other "kind" equipment cannot cause damage under some circumstances.

Some of the worse wounds I have seen have been from horribly embedded flat collars. I have also seen harm caused by clickers with noise phobic dogs.

IME things are rarely black and white.
Excellent, balanced, logical, sound post.
hayleyth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I do have a gencon which applies pressure if my dog pulls. Personally best lead ever and now my dog is just walked on slip lead. So def work! Dont like prong collars
bwmotz
New Member!
Male 

12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
There's a huge difference! A harness is only meant as a way to attach a leash to a dog without doing it at his neck. A prong collar is meant primarily as a correction tool.

Are you really comparing pressure vs something that actually sticks into your skin? If I lean against a wall, that's pressure. If I lean against a nail, that's sticking into me and that hurts.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Or indeed any collar.

Do you think that pressure from a harness is different in any way from pressure from things that stick into you?

rune
dog collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 10:33 AM
had a lady bring a dog wearing one to my training class - she was told to 'remove' it...or else! Another 'respected' trainer told her they were wonderful gadgets to get the dog to heel

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
A good trainer does not need to inflict pain on a dog to train him or her - and as demonstrated in this thread there's never really a good reason for *any* pet home (or any dog owner) to use one.

So does anyone else think they should be banned?
maria123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:38 PM
so if all collars and harnesses and others was banned how would take your dog out on a lead , you nead a collar or harnesses ex to take your dog out
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well that's another problem altogether - people not learning how to train their dogs (and I hope you're not suggesting that idiot owners should be given a license to abuse their dogs - just because they're too lazy to learn how to train properly I've got a better idea - don't get a dog if you can't be bothered to put the time and effort in).
i couldn't agree more.
choke-collars, prong collars, electric shock collars are abhorrent. They are used as short cuts to training and therefore equal poor training.
Spend time and use positive not negative training.
Whoever can honestly look into the eyes of their beloved pet and then inflict that pain and confusion on them is quite beyond me.
Maybe I am oversensitive because i have rescued greyhounds who are by the very nature of their lives, abused on a daily basis. when they come to us in trauma and emotional & physical upheavel we try to gain their trust and show them there is a life without hurt and fear.
The most humbling & rewarding part of my life is when they come to me for love instead of flinching away in terror for then I know I have gained that trust and they can start to live again.
How anyone can knowingly inflict fear on dog is beyond my comprehension.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Yes they should be banned along with anything that inflicks pain.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2012, 04:49 PM
It is an interesting fluffy term to say a prong collar checks a dog
What does check mean?

Yes the truth is they are not supposed to stab into the neck, although some people have them sharp so they do

The honest name is pinch collar
Bits of skin all round the dogs neck are pinched, yes the dog learns the noise is followed by the pinching so they try and avoid it

It has to be fairly unpleasant for it to work as quickly as it does when used correctly
And they cause injury when used incorrectly

So yes I think there is no place for them and they should be banned
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by maria123 View Post
so if all collars and harnesses and others was banned how would take your dog out on a lead , you nead a collar or harnesses ex to take your dog out

Suggest you read the thread?
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >