View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:30 PM
We have eyebrows, but yet we can keep mosture out of our eyes with our hands, we have eyes, yet still we have pain receptors to let us know when we have put our hands in candles, we have things that help us, and still walk into doors, tables, stub our toes, the wiskers at the back of the face are in areas that a dog might not be able to see so well, and when concentrating on one thing could cause a reaction in the dog to help keep them safer, to help them be more aware when their eyes are on the prize, and not on that little bit of wire above their heads. Belt and braces and all that, but I still would never do it to my dogs, what right do I have to remove something from a animal, for purely cosmetic reasons, something humans don't have a full understanding of, because I think she might look better? Which tbh I don't think she will, I think the opposite.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well you should be ashamed of yourself then regarding the former. To my eternal shame I used to go fox hunting, never stag hunting though.

We owned a bloodhound when I was young and although did not use him for formal tracking, we would "play" with him and lay trails with us kids as "bait" - and great fun it was too.

Sadly he had to be put down because of epilepsy, he was a gorgeous dog.
I am no more ashamed of going hunting than you are of using the device that we must not name on your dogs!

Yes you have PLAYED at tracking, VASTLY different to having COMPETED at tracking etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I did not say that they moved out, I said they are erect - dogs and presumably cats too have the ability of twitching their whiskers - if you google you will find out why - o sorry, I forgot, you do not like to do research on the internet, you like to do it in the field.

No they are not erect at all in all dogs.

I do like to RESEARCH using the internet which is VASTLy different to what YOU do.

I do not just google and "mine data" I RESEARCH which means I look at information, I determine the worth of it, to provide me with knowledge, and I have wisdom to be able to apply that knowledge in a scientific way.

Unlike yourself where you persist in trawling the net for data which you are unable to interpret but rather just regurgitate without any real knowledge of that subject.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Using my imagination , its telling me that if a dog is focused on following his nose, its usually down on the ground (the nose) .... so find it difficult to imagine the whiskers warning the dog of anything that might take its eye out...as the whiskers are usually contected to the muzzle area, so in effect will be on the ground along with the nose
My pair clearly have jutting up eyebrows (totaly love them) cheek whiskers at the side of their heads and ones out the bottom of the chin like a catfish as well as the muzzle whiskers

I remember walking behind Mia on an overgrown path the other week and being amazed watching how she was able to tuck back one or both ears to avoid overhead brambles without any effort just secconds before her ears touched them

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
We have eyebrows, but yet we can keep mosture out of our eyes with our hands, we have eyes, yet still we have pain receptors to let us know when we have put our hands in candles, we have things that help us, and still walk into doors, tables, stub our toes, the wiskers at the back of the face are in areas that a dog might not be able to see so well, and when concentrating on one thing could cause a reaction in the dog to help keep them safer, to help them be more aware when their eyes are on the prize, and not on that little bit of wire above their heads. Belt and braces and all that, but I still would never do it to my dogs, what right do I have to remove something from a animal, for purely cosmetic reasons, something humans don't have a full understanding of, because I think she might look better? Which tbh I don't think she will, I think the opposite.
Exactly, they are not the primary sense. they are a backup and the dogs can manage without them - but that dosent mean they dont use them

They have them, they cause the dogs no harm by having them, they have loads of brain power dedicated to them
good enough reasons to me for leaving them well alone

Yes of course some dogs need clipped - tbh I would never choose a dog that needs loads of grooming, I dont like animals that have been bred to need constant attention
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I dont like animals that have been bred to need constant attention
But you give them this!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I dont like animals that have been bred to need constant attention
That would rule out ALL domesticated animals then
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But you give them this!
Yup of course i give them the love and husbandry they need, I (personally) do not like cats or dogs that NEED constant grooming, I groom my dogs because we both enjoy it but if I dont then they dont suffer for it
I know I would never neglect my dogs - and noone ever should but I dont know, its just a thing I have, I hate the thought that if there is some kind of disaster and men are wiped out there will be all these animals unable to cope because we have bred them so dependant on us

totaly off topic I know its just a odd thought i have - I know it makes no sense
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 06:02 PM
No they are not erect at all in all dogs.

I do like to RESEARCH using the internet which is VASTLy different to what YOU do.

I do not just google and "mine data" I RESEARCH which means I look at information, I determine the worth of it, to provide me with knowledge, and I have wisdom to be able to apply that knowledge in a scientific way.

Unlike yourself where you persist in trawling the net for data which you are unable to interpret but rather just regurgitate without any real knowledge of that subject.
You really are a paradox - first of all you say you do research in the field, and then you say you research using the internet. I really wish you make your mind up what you do!

As for your final paragraph I find it rude, arrogant, pompous and full of self-importance. What is it like to be an animal of such perfection SB?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 06:04 PM
I am no more ashamed of going hunting than you are of using the device that we must not name on your dogs!

Yes you have PLAYED at tracking, VASTLY different to having COMPETED at tracking etc.
O my, hear we go again, yet another area in which you are an expert ... is there anything that you have no knowledge of I ask myself?

I have indeed played at tracking - when did I ever say otherwise? When did I ever claim to have competed? I think you will find never.

Yet again, your bragging, know-all attitude is grating to say the least.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Clearly I do, been a member of my local hunt for many years

You do allow your dogs to chase and kill wildlife , dont you??
Well in that case you would know that foxhounds have been bred and trained over hundreds of years to chase and kill foxes - for the fun, enjoyment and pleasure of man. Not for the entertainment of the hounds, but purely for man to have the thrill of galloping across open country pursuing a pack of hounds who are pursuing a fox.

I come from a very strong hunting family ... my grandfather was a joint MFH and breeder and trainer of polo ponies, his brother was an avid rider to hounds until he was well in his 70's ... but to my father's horror, am now an anti - although not, I hasten to add, a sab!!

Totally different from what my dogs do, which is to follow their natural instinct to kill and eat what they have caught, as a sideline when we are out walking across the fields or through the woods. I do not purposely set out with a view to a kill ... at the moment we have many very sick rabbits round here with mexy, and I do encourage the dogs to catch and kill these poor creatures, but I don't let them eat them - not sure whether it would be OK for them to do so, so we throw them into the hedge for the buzzards or foxes.
Page 12 of 21 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »