View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 06:52 AM
In my day, crossbreeds were results of either accidents (dog got out while in heat) or a result of either couldn't afford or couldn't be bothered to spay/neuter.

I cannot remember anyone deliberately breeding them. They generally were in the pet shop/post office windows with a wee card saying free to a good home!

The problem I have with so called 'Designer Dogs' are that people are deliberately crossing pedigrees, giving them a stupid name and charging a fortune for them. To me they are only out to make a quick buck on them and that's it. Most people breeding these crosses seem not to have had ANY health checks at all so who knows what hereditary faults they will pass onto their puppies?

There are hundreds of pedigree breeds to choose from AND hundreds more dogs in rescue centres looking for homes (lots of them crossbreeds) - surely that's enough choice?
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Better they stick with Staffs which are human friendly than start getting Dogos, Filas, Corsos or even Jindos!
this is very true but these teenagers arent really training them like you and i would in a porper way. hopefully none of them will start to get these big designer dogs. like my sammy he's big 11 months old and touching 9st but he's the biggest softy going, for example anyone walking past the gate he's there head to side wagging his tail, if you walked into the garden he wants a mard lmao ah well hopefully as he gets older the guard dog will spring in, but i know and many others will know a bullmastiff cross rotty in the wrong hands would be a concern espcially with teenage thugs. i know when sammy's fully grown if i see him and 2 others like him fully grown with teenagers i wouldnt walk near them.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
this is very true but these teenagers arent really training them like you and i would in a porper way. hopefully none of them will start to get these big designer dogs. like my sammy he's big 11 months old and touching 9st but he's the biggest softy going, for example anyone walking past the gate he's there head to side wagging his tail, if you walked into the garden he wants a mard lmao ah well hopefully as he gets older the guard dog will spring in, but i know and many others will know a bullmastiff cross rotty in the wrong hands would be a concern espcially with teenage thugs. i know when sammy's fully grown if i see him and 2 others like him fully grown with teenagers i wouldnt walk near them.
I have a natural guard dog breed and he wagged his tail when everyone visited but one time when he was 11 months a woman came in to clean and she froze when she saw the dog and was extremely nervous and the dog went from submissively wagging his tail to having his hackles up. If she had moved he would have bitten but obviously we trained him from then on that everyone visiting is a friend. So watch how Sammy reacts to people who are afraid of him. Dogs see fear as a threat. What we did after that was introduce everyone properly to the dog first. Another great bit of advice to give to people that you know are a bit afraid of dogs is; no talk, no touch and no eye contact. That way the dog can smell them with no pressure. If you look at 2 male dogs meet each other, if they are balanced they always circle to the side not giving eye contact and then smell the rear. They know that face to face eye contact can cause a fight.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Anne-Marie

I adopted Mindy about 4 weeks ago from the Dogs Trust. I found her on a website which was telling me that she would be pts the following Sunday. I rang them, and they told me that she was Border Terrier x Pug. She is a really cutsie little girl. She is only 8 months by the way.

We had to go down to Shrewsbury for her to bring her home.

I have since taken her to our vet for her 2nd injection, and he told me that I have a Puggle!! This apparently, is a Designer Dog (Pug x Beagle)!! The vet knew immediately because he has one at home himself.

Personally, I don't care what breed she is supposed to be, it just gives a little insight of her personality traits, illnesses, and how big she is going to grow! I have looked at certain web sites, and these pups are being sold from between £450 - £900!!!!!!!!!!

This i'm afraid, (I think), is just a money making scam to make on cross breeds. My Beagle Cross is just adorable!!!!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Heres a good example

For Sale.

Springer x Bassett puppies (springbatts) All bitches.
£700.00 each. NON refundable deposit of £100.00 secures.
Balance payable at time of collection.
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12