Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I have removed Codee from the gene pool, but I didn't expect any financial bonuses from doing it... My boys won't be removed from the gene pool as yet, but as a responsible owner they won't be producing any little Jamie's and Deacon's anyway.... (I have had an in season bitch here and managed to keep her safe! )
I see major flaws with the theory thats all...
I have been in the same situation (almost exactly) Entire dogs and bitches (probably in a smaller space than you as well !)

This would not make breeders be less selective about people, it would not stop responsible people from keeping entire dogs (unless they are that keen on the money). But it just might give prospective buyers more of a push in the right direction.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Really... In what way?
PF's can charge less and undercut and still make a profit, becasue they have not done the health tests, breed back to back etc.

Responsible breeders set a price based on what others of a similar breed and standard are being sold for, which will, (from what I see in the paper) generally be more.

I could pick up a BC in the paper for about £200 Siren was £400 (and that was 3 years ago)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Puppy farmers will continue to breed....that is another matter entirely.....proper breeders will alway charge more to try and re-coup what they have shelled out.

What this might do, is encourage people who may have gone to PF for the cheaper option turn towards a better breeder.
In my experience cr@p breeders/puppy farmers/ byb all charge pretty much the same as a reputable breeder, they're in it for the money and they want as much as they can get.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
PF's can charge less and undercut and still make a profit, becasue they have not done the health tests, breed back to back etc.

Responsible breeders set a price based on what others of a similar breed and standard are being sold for, which will, (from what I see in the paper) generally be more.

I could pick up a BC in the paper for about £200 Siren was £400 (and that was 3 years ago)
ahh right I see what you mean, but tbh I dont think the un-ethical breeders charge that much less than the ethical.. Certainly not what I have seen in my breed thats for sure, I have seen HL dogs for sale for as much as £1300 (faints) and yet I have never known a decent breeder ask that much possibly just half that. I do think it will be differernt for different breeds though, and many people think there is big money in cresties (and have great reason to when bad breeders charge such prices) - so jump on the band wagon to breed!

Im almost certain that if I went to get a CC from a puppy selling site, I would more than likely be paying more from non tested dogs, with crap pedigrees probs from pet parents, than I would if I went to a decent breeder again with all things done correctly for my next show dog.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
ahh right I see what you mean, but tbh I dont the un-ethical breeders charge that much less than the ethical.. Certainly not what I have seen in my breed thats for sure, I have seen HL dogs for sale for as much as £1300 (faints) and yet I have never known a decent breeder ask that much possibly just half that. I do think it will be differernt for different breeds though, and many people think there is big money in cresties (and have great reason to when bad breeders charge such prices) - so jump on the band wagon to breed!
Possibly - possibly different across the country as well.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Personally I am not a fan of "paying" people to do the right thing, is any walk of life.

People do NOT learn responsibility from getting paid to do A/B/C, the only way you do this is by being aware of right and wrong.

A breeder when choosing her new puppy owners has to rely a little in intuition and a lot of trust, IF you have a owner who has no intention of "being responsible" then they will find a way to gain the refund and also do as they please with the dog anyway!!

Offering a refund is not encouraging anyone to be a responsible owner.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Whilst I can understand why some are in favour of it, personally it doesn't sit well with me.

If a breeder said to me, if you get your pup castrated, I'll give you £250 I'd be insulted, and would most likely find another breeder.

It should be about mutual trust, you as the new owner, are trusting that the breeder has given the puppy the best start in life they can, and they as the breeder, are trusting that you will give the puppy the best life you can. You are both trusting that the other has and can be responsible, if you can't trust the breeder, then don't buy the pupy, and if you don't trust the new owners, then don't sell them one.

Just a thought, but how would people feel about offering potential breeders cash insentives to have their dogs health tested?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Whilst I can understand why some are in favour of it, personally it doesn't sit well with me.

If a breeder said to me, if you get your pup castrated, I'll give you £250 I'd be insulted, and would most likely find another breeder.

It should be about mutual trust, you as the new owner, are trusting that the breeder has given the puppy the best start in life they can, and they as the breeder, are trusting that you will give the puppy the best life you can. You are both trusting that the other has and can be responsible, if you can't trust the breeder, then don't buy the pupy, and if you don't trust the new owners, then don't sell them one.

Just a thought, but how would people feel about offering potential breeders cash insentives to have their dogs health tested?
I personally would not want to make it easier for people to breed.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

I might offer to pay for a test if I REALLY wanted a pup from a particular dog.

Slightly different but I did pay for a CL test on the brain of a dog that had been pts. Not mine but a close relative.

rune
swarthy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

What do BC`s go for today £450/500 (dont know )

Taking into account you have paid for health tests, care of the bitch, feeding/worming and all other costs..(hopefully no medical bills ) you are now going to give back almost half of what you charged in a refund, you will in effect be breeding a litter to give away!!
Done correctly, you are often pretty much doing that anyway - see my earlier post on this thread - over £4K spent out - £3.3K back - if you include the pup I kept, £3.8K - that is STILL a loss of around £500 before you start.

I don't think people have any grasp of what it costs to produce a litter properly - maybe worth another thread - BH - I spend around £150 a week on food for JUST the litter - my winter litter raised by quarterly gas bill by £700

My washing machine and tumble dryer literally going 24/7 for 9 weeks at least.

If you are fortunate enough to have a breed where health tests are minimal, and prices for puppies are high, then good luck to you - but as I've already said, rose tinted spectacles springs to mind.

IN addition to the above - that was a GOOD litter - minimal veterinary intervention - I could have had a £1,200 bill for a C-section and a single (or even no) pups.

Done correctly, you are already pretty much giving the litter away - because you don't even break even - so now - in some people's eyes - we should PAY these people to buy our pups.

What about the honest person who approaches me for a working / show dog with the full intention they want to breed? They are then effectively paying more for their pup - a practice that is heavily frowned upon by most
Page 12 of 23 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »