Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

A spay and terminating a pregnancy surely would be more costly than the mismate and routine spay ?

I would have thought a few hundred pounds more costly,
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Have injection = if your dog mated yesterday - non traumatic there isnt anything there.

Dont have injection = @rse about for a few weeks then have her speyed when you def know she is pregnant and effectively 4 weeks gone?

Or did you mean you would like to wait and see if she is pregnant and if so then she will have the litter with no health tests by an unhealth tested male (i hesitate to use the word stud!)?

where did you get her from out of interest? did you say you had paperwork for her?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Would you be able to get the time off work to do the week before and 2 weeks after vigil?
gemsoph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I rang the vet and they told me nothing basically, they said depending on the vet and the health of my bitch they may or may not spey her. I got her from a lady who has a few dogs and uses her bullmastiff as a stud, but my bitch did not come with papers, she has had 2 or 3 phantom pregnancies so will the vet be able to confirm she is pregnant anyway, and my OH works im a house wife with 2 children. I dont need a lecture from you guys!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-05-2010, 11:37 AM
It seems that you have (or are on the way to having) a pregnant bitch. She hasn't been health tested, and neither has the sire. It's nothing less than irresponsible breeding - you may well sell all the pups on the freeads at a bargain price compared to dogs with papers, but where will they go?

Please take on board what is being said and get your dog jagged -you can have her tested and breed later if you really must go down that route.

I've never bred any dogs, but I do have three - two of which were rescues. Go and visit your local shelter, it's heartbreaking.

Apologies if this isn't the most coherent and well thought out post, but there too many dogs out there allready.

Bullmastiff Rescue
.org.uk/]Dog rescue Pages
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:40 AM
People are not lecturing you i think they are just getting fed up of saying the same things on 3 different threads about the same thing!

Get the mis mate jab now its the cheapest option and covers all the bases. A vet will only be able to tell when the bitch is much further on by then it will be too late.

With regards to nipples my younger bitch has just come out of her first season and her nipples are also bright pink and there is no way she is pregnant. I think its just the hormones and the warm weather we have been having.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Please dont hang about, just go and get the jab
Far cheeper than ending up with a litter of pups
gemsoph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I no a man who is a registered breeder and he bred his 2 mastiffs and all went smoothly so why is everyone giving negative feedback to me, and he has offered to help me out when my bitch delivers the pubs. he has told me its not for the faint hearted, i didnt say just because the 2 dogs look good that is a good enough reason to breed them
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Ah right your OH works, thats a relief then (your profile states you are single) at least you will be able to afford the spey.

But lets face it you arent going to have the injection, you are going to wait and see if she is pregnant and if she is she will have pups and if she isnt you wont health test and just try again next time.

Good luck (to your dog).
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by gemsoph View Post
I rang the vet and they told me nothing basically, they said depending on the vet and the health of my bitch they may or may not spey her. I got her from a lady who has a few dogs and uses her bullmastiff as a stud, but my bitch did not come with papers, she has had 2 or 3 phantom pregnancies so will the vet be able to confirm she is pregnant anyway, and my OH works im a house wife with 2 children. I dont need a lecture from you guys!
Why have you bred from a dog knowing full well you don't know her history and what's behind her ? How do you know she is infact a pedigree dog ? How can you research anything if you don't know her lines - why put her in this position in the first place ?

I'd get another vet involved as they are clearly talking nothing but rubbish - I've never heard a vet say they won't spay a dog most vets are all FOR spaying.
And no vet I know would refuse to give the mismate if you thought your dog was pregnant and that is what you really wanted.

TBH, I think you are making excuses to justify your own reasons to breed from her and take a litter from her - when a spay in the first instance would have solved the phantom pregnancy issue.

For your sake (more so your dogs), I hope she absorbs the whole litter herself if she is (not meaning to come across as nasty) but they do this sometimes anyway, because there is no way you are prepared for anything that could go wrong, if you don't act upon the advice you have been given.
Page 12 of 24 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »