View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
One thing I have learnt working in rescue....you can wait forever for the perfect home to come up. Sometimes it does...great! More often than not it doesn;t and the dogs end up bouncing and ultimatley very screwed up. .
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Err....I never said that.
Well thats what it sounded like to me, sorry if I misunderstood.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
My dog did not snap out as you put it he bit my child badly drawing blood - is that enough for you ? You obviously do not respect my opinion from your judgemental posts - what i would do with my current dog is my business and yes if i thought anyone was at risk of being hurt then i would take action - as i said before i put my kids welfare first. I know thats hard for the anti-kid/people brigade to comprehend but too bad.
Is what enough for me? It wasn’t up to me to make the decision and apparently not to have an opinion either as I wasn’t there.

Regarding your current dog I merely asked if you would do things different now as you said yourself you didn’t think the rescue would pts but it did I wondered if that had changed your mind regarding what you would do. IE have it vet checked first and maybe get a behaviourist in. I find it strange that it only needs you to think someone might be at risk.

Please don’t accuse people who have said they would do it different to you to be anti-kid I think its been proved on here that people are not anti child just would of done things differently to you.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
From a behavioural point of view, without all relevant health tests being done, and without a full history of the event including any calming signals a dog may have tried to exhibit without them being noticed or understood, sorry but no that would`nt be enough for me
Excellent post again, I do think a lot of dog communications are missed.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
As a mother and a dog owner, of what some have deemed and still deem an "unsuitable breed to have with children and have been accused of being selfish and stupid for owning one with children"...

I can honestly say, that for me to give Bruno up, he would have to seriously maul my child, and even then he would get every health check known to make sure that there was nothing wrong. I know I will be frowned on for this, but I KNOW he would never do it though, he just doesnt have it in him... I would not do it lightly and I would not do it for a bite.,.. it would only be a serious attack.

I have to say after saying all of the above, you never know what you would do til it happens though, and I dont think its fair to judge someone on their actions and cast them over for it.

I dont necessarily agree with what Greyhoundk did, but having not been there and not seeing how badly her child was bitten and the circumstances then I am not going to say what she should have done differently.

However I do take issue with the antikid comments, I dont think its one or the other, plenty of people have dogs and kids and the dog is another kid - Bruno is my first baby and I have the same level of love for them albeit in slightly different ways.

I dont like how it alwaysturns into one or the other in these type of discussions. It is possible to adore your dog and your child ..
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
I think it turns into "antikid" comments because often, the ones saying they'd never take serious action (as in rehoming/pts a dog that has bitten) usually don't have children. :
Now theres a sweeping statement! Do you know this to be fact? Also just because people do not have kids does not mean they are anti kids. Do you have to be either a dog lover or a kid lover anyway, cant you love both?

I think Patch Brundog Trouble and others have made some great posts regarding managing situations and looking at the individual dogs, their health, the cirumstances and if it can be managed. Not once have I seen anyone including myself say anything anti child!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Is what enough for me? It wasn’t up to me to make the decision and apparently not to have an opinion either as I wasn’t there.

Regarding your current dog I merely asked if you would do things different now as you said yourself you didn’t think the rescue would pts but it did I wondered if that had changed your mind regarding what you would do. IE have it vet checked first and maybe get a behaviourist in. I find it strange that it only needs you to think someone might be at risk.

Please don’t accuse people who have said they would do it different to you to be anti-kid I think its been proved on here that people are not anti child just would of done things differently to you.
The majority (in fact all) parents I know in "real life" would remove their child from a dangerous situation. A dog biting a child severe enough to draw blood, completely unprovoked, is a dangerous situation. As a parent it is your duty to protect your child - whether it is from your own beloved family pet or not. The child comes first ALWAYS for me and most parents.

If it were me, I would have probably asked a family member that didn't have children, to look after the dog whilst I arranged a behaviourist/vet checks or whatever was needed, to be carried out. Then taken action on the advice given.

However, not everybody has family members without young children, that are willing to take on a dog with problems. GreyhoundK did the best she could at the time, I imagine. Which was to remove the dog from the family home and placed the dog in a Rescue where it could be assessed. She has said so many times now that the dog was pts WITHOUT HER CONSENT OR KNOWLEDGE, as her owners rights were relinquished when she put the dog in the Rescue. The professionals felt putting to sleep to be the only option. I can't imagine that a Rescue would have taken that action lightly. After all, aren't they there for the welfare of the dog
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Now theres a sweeping statement! Do you know this to be fact? Also just because people do not have kids does not mean they are anti kids. Do you have to be either a dog lover or a kid lover anyway, cant you love both?
No you don't have to either love kids or dogs. You can love both, just as I do. For me though, your children are your first priority. Obviously the same for GreyhoundK. I would never allow my child to be in a dangerous situation. As soon as I saw danger, the danger would be removed. End of
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Is

I agree , whats with all this anti kid nonsense..

Everyone must take responsibility for their own animals, in what and how they deal with such a situation.

Some whether they have children or not will persevere if able, some will not take the risk..all cases must be taken on its own merit..

And I would never argue with what anyone feels is best for them

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua
I think it turns into "antikid" comments because often, the ones saying they'd never take serious action (as in rehoming/pts a dog that has bitten) usually don't have children. :
You know that for a fact do you... or is it another of your sweeping statements..

You cant possibly know such things, people will react differently to all individual situations...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I think one thing every dog owner needs to be aware of is the Ladder of Aggression.

Out of interest, can I ask if anyone on here knows what it is and what it means? It would be interesting to see who knows of it.

Wys
x
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think one thing every dog owner needs to be aware of is the Ladder of Aggression.

Out of interest, can I ask if anyone on here knows what it is and what it means? It would be interesting to see who knows of it.

Wys
x
I haven't heard of "Ladder of Aggression" Wys but I am imaging it may be kind of, the lead up to when a dog bites, signs to look for. Probably totally off the mark but interested to know what it is
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Off topic posts removed, please stay on topic
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >