Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Perhaps it is time that owners were made responsible for their dog's actions? For example, if a dog bites/maims a person then the owner should face a wounding charge. If the dog kills a person then the owner should face a manslaughter charge.

Just a thought.
Completely agree
although they'd have to make allowances for burglars
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I think it's fair to say that both the owner and the breeder should both be prosecuted, one for breeding an illegal dog and the other for being warned about the dog on two occasions, the breeder is only responsible for breeding an illegal dog it's really infair to say that they played the sole part in the death of poor little Elle, we don't know the kind of life the dog had in reality and anything could have made the dog snap, silliest of silliest things.
Everyone who is a dog owner has the sole influence on how ever that dog happens to turn out, bad breeding can also play a part, theres a lot of people at fault here it's not just down to whoever bred the dog.

It's all very sad, I feel for the little girls family, it's a terrible shame. I also feel for the dog, the owners clearly were under no illusion of what they had and had no idea of how to control it, not the dogs fault and not the fault of that poor little love either. The adults responsible for the dog are souly to blame for this tragic loss of a beautiful little girls life.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
I found this so worrying when reading about the pitbull amnesty in NI today....

However, an east Belfast teenager who has a pet pit bull said the dog is like her "baby".
The 18-year-old, who did not want to give her name, said: ''She's just over an year, she's happy enough running about the house and gets on well with everyone who calls in. She's like our child."
Puppy love
She said she was able to control the dog, but had some concerns.
"It's just sort of with kids, you know the way kids can be rough and I'd be scared of a kid hurting her, not meaning to and then she'd maybe snap, but she wouldn't just go for a kid.
"Obviously if someone was annoying her she'd go for them, but not just out of the blue.
"There have been times when we've been out that people would say: 'That's a pit bull.' But she wouldn't do anything.
"But there's people who look at her thinking 'that dog's evil', and I know she's not like that.
"She's not vicious towards anyone, unless someone was annoying her, but not with people just stroking her. "It would be a disgrace if people's pit bulls were just taken off them and destroyed. You love your dog, it's like your child".

To think a 17 year old (and although I had dogs at that age they weren't pitbulls) was able to buy a pitbull to be 'her baby'.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I think it's fair to say that both the owner and the breeder should both be prosecuted, one for breeding an illegal dog and the other for being warned about the dog on two occasions, the breeder is only responsible for breeding an illegal dog it's really infair to say that they played the sole part in the death of poor little Elle, we don't know the kind of life the dog had in reality and anything could have made the dog snap, silliest of silliest things.
Everyone who is a dog owner has the sole influence on how ever that dog happens to turn out, bad breeding can also play a part, theres a lot of people at fault here it's not just down to whoever bred the dog.

It's all very sad, I feel for the little girls family, it's a terrible shame. I also feel for the dog, the owners clearly were under no illusion of what they had and had no idea of how to control it, not the dogs fault and not the fault of that poor little love either. The adults responsible for the dog are souly to blame for this tragic loss of a beautiful little girls life.
Nobody said the breeder should take sole blame but a larger part, He should hold some/alot of the Blame if he had NOT bred a illegal Breed Dog that Dog would have been in that House and that Little Girl would be alive to Day Fact.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:58 PM

I also feel for the dog, the owners clearly were under no illusion of what they had .

The owners were under EVERY illusion of what they had, they had a menace dog who had already attacked another dog and a man...and they had been given 2 warnings about this dog previously.

Like a few members have already said, the dog should of been PTS long before it had the chance to KILL somebody, let alone a tiny innocent lil child.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Nobody said the breeder should take sole blame but a larger part, He should hold some/alot of the Blame if he had NOT bred a illegal Breed Dog that Dog would have been in that House and that Little Girl would be alive to Day Fact.
I agree, and what's the bettings the 'breeder' will never be found. Like someone else said, the dog could of been bought from anywhere
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I disagree...There are Pit Bulls all over the UK wether we happen to like it or not, I seriously doubt every single person that breeds these dogs will be made accountable for breeding them..

As I stated, we, as owners of any breed of dog are souly responsible for however our dogs turn out, thats not down to the breeder at all, they or any breeder of any dog should not be held responsible for a dog of theirs that happened to attack, thats silly otherwise there would be breeders all over the UK in all sorts of trouble.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
The owners were under EVERY illusion of what they had, they had a menace dog who had already attacked another dog and a man...and they had been given 2 warnings about this dog previously.

Like a few members have already said, the dog should of been PTS long before it had the chance to KILL somebody, let alone a tiny innocent lil child.
I think you should re-read my post again.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I disagree...There are Pit Bulls all over the UK wether we happen to like it or not, I seriously doubt every single person that breeds these dogs will be made accountable for breeding them..

As I stated, we, as owners of any breed of dog are souly responsible for however our dogs turn out, thats not down to the breeder at all, they or any breeder of any dog should not be held responsible for a dog of theirs that happened to attack, thats silly otherwise there would be breeders all over the UK in all sorts of trouble.
I do agree with what your saying, somewhat, but I think what people are trying to say is the pitbull is a BANNED breed, and if people, like the breeder who bred this pitbull, didn't breed ILLEGAL breeds, this dog for one, would not of been here, and the porr lil girl would still be here today.

Moral of the story, people should stop breeding pitbulls and pitbull crosses because they are a banned breed. In my opinion, they would not be banned unless there was a very good reason for being so, and that is because they are dangerous dogs.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
If people didn't buy Pit Bull pups or Pit Bull types there would be no need to breed them...catch my drift? As long as these type of dogs are available there is a market for them, illegal or not (more of a market for them, because they are illegal).
Whose in the wrong, the breeders, or the buyers or owners? All are accountable of course they are, but lets not just single out the breeders even though of course they are in the wrong, theres more than one person at fault even though people are breeding these 'illegal' dogs.
Page 12 of 32 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »