View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I would say always clean up after your dog wherever you are, unless it's impossible to do so!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already.....Apparently, according to a fiend of mine, we are being encouraged by the green gang to "pick & flick" where possible as poo-bags are not biodegradable (unless you happen to use boidegradable poo bags that is ) and will have an effect on the environment.

So, if you're on a pathway beside bushes, for example, you've to find a stick or something and flick the poo into the bushes.

Hmm, I could possibly get into a right mess doing that so I think I shall stick to using poo bags.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
So you would rather litter the countryside to make a point than take YOUR cr@p home with you???? Thats shamful and its a disgrace Iv also read your EXCUSE of "I dont want to carry it 10+ miles" If this is the case and you cant be @rsed with the responsability then dont have a dog!!!!
Wow, some people need to learn some manners!

I don't actually litter the countryside as I've been to Hamsterly Forrest all of once in the last 5 years! So 1 eco bag of poo in 5 years isn't exactly going to ruin the place

Like I've said, if they want me to clean up after my dogs I will, but I'm not carrying it around in my pocket for 10 miles. Not an excuse - my opinion. The other option is to leave it for someone to tread in, not something I'm inclined to do.

Originally Posted by Patch View Post
That gave me images of dogs running over the speed limit while they poop, I think I`ve had a little too much caffeine :smt101 :smt005

I totally understand your frustration, more poop bins would be a blessing along with general litter bins in rural walking areas, especially popular ones. Yes eco friendly sacks are a help but I think they are meant to contain it then break down in landfill
I think these ones are designed to breakdown in fresh air and sunlight?! I'm sure that's what the box said?
I do think they are more of a danger to wildlife than unbagged poop kicked well out of the way, I could easily imagine a hedgehog getting caught up on one or feral cats chewing and swallowing plastic off them [ something a lot of cats do, chewing plastic bags ], or a fledgeling getting caught up.
Being biodegradable just makes them break down sooner than ordinary plastic bags but as soon as they tear they are as much a risk to wildlife as ordinary ones, the same as any other litter
I really don't think they're a danger to wildlife. I just don't think wild animals are stupid enough to mistake a bag of poo for something edibile?! Surely any species that did would be extinct by now? If only Mr. Darwin was still alive, I could ask him!
Might you rethink it and either deposit unbagged where no one could possibly be troubled by it or pop a bagged one in a tupperware then in a little back-pack so its not an encumberance on a long walk ?
I know what a pain it is juggling carrying multiple poop bags and leads while walking a few dogs at a time, and putting several in a carrierbag gets in the way for me, [ cos I`m a klutz lol ], so thats what I found a good way to deal with it
I might try that actually, pick it up with a poo bag and then plop the poo out somewhere out of the way, never thought of that. Should be interesting, look forward to some of the strange looks I'm going to get!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I would say always clean up after your dog wherever you are, unless it's impossible to do so!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already.....Apparently, according to a fiend of mine, we are being encouraged by the green gang to "pick & flick" where possible as poo-bags are not biodegradable (unless you happen to use boidegradable poo bags that is ) and will have an effect on the environment.

So, if you're on a pathway beside bushes, for example, you've to find a stick or something and flick the poo into the bushes.

Hmm, I could possibly get into a right mess doing that so I think I shall stick to using poo bags.
That's ok, unless you own a retrieving breed!

Flick the poo with a stick, turn around and your dogs happily brought the stick back for you!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

who needs a stick when a good boot will do
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2007, 10:57 PM
What annoys me are kids in the long Summer holidays that get bored and in the field near where I live they get the dog poo bags out of the dog bins, split the bags open and the poo has fallen out all over the path near the bin and the bags chucked on the ground empty! Quite a few kids seem to enjoy doing this and I just cannot for the life of me understand why oh why they would want to do a disgusting thing like that!! I saw some boys doing it when I was walking my dog and I said to them "why are you doing that?" and they replied "because we are bored, got nothing else to do". I gave them a good telling off but just replied with a load of cheek!!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2007, 09:15 AM
We had a similar problem to you recently Asti which could have ended very badly. We were driving through a village, there's a park by the side of the road. All of a sudden a young girl (6 maybe 7) shot out into the road, just feet away from us, silly girl didn't even look. Fortunatley Dave managed to stop. She threw a full poo bag into the road (obviously it was a game to see how many cars would hit it). We didn't run the poo over either luckily. There were 3 children, all about the same age going through the poo bins
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-07-2007, 10:03 AM
this thread stinks! (ok just a little joke) I hate picking up my dogs poo and i think mine does it on purpose! he waits for us to go out for a walk then decides to go i've always got bags on me and always pick it up but i hate the fact that the path (old railway line converted to path) is probably about 7 miles long with not 1 bin on it? i will say though when out walking in the forest with my dog i don't pick it up! he always goes into the bushes to do his buisness and i think it's better off on the mountain than in a bag in a bin? just my opinion?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
I think that this remark was a bit below the belt in my opinion, Malady I suspect that you are quiet able bodied, there are some people on here that are not, me included. I would like you to try something if you can. imaginge you had lost your legs, yes you have false ones but you have no ankle and you can't stand on your tip toes, therefore walking on uneven ground is very painful if not impossible. then try and bend down without bending your knee (remeber you not a any ankle to bend) while keeping hold of two walking sticks, a poop scoop and a bag, at the same time trying to keep your balance which is hard if there is any wind up (it throughs you straight off you feet, even the slightest breeze). could you do that?

Ian
And I haven't even got started on my false legs yet, not outdoors, anyway, and not without a zimmer. So my dogs suffer the consequences (not getting out), so that other people don't.

People (generally, nobody in particular) ought to ensure that brain is engaged before mouth is put in gear.

Snorri
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I think that everyone should clean up after their dogs,
Ihad a gentleman who always let his dog foul outside my house i got a little chessed off by this so one day i picked up what his dog had left behind and followed him home and posted it through his letter box I had no problem after that.
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-07-2007, 04:20 PM
good effort Rio! a woman used to do that outside my house, bring their dog up for a walk to a little patch of grass in front of my house let the dog do it's bussiness then go back home! until one day she done it when my missus had had a drink and gave her a right telling off!
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >