View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Labradoodles are not a KC recognised breed - he really needs to stop including them as it makes his statement look rather naive which is not the way for him to gain respect as a person wishing to appear knowledgeable, [ Shaun Barker I mean ].
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
American Bulldogs aren't KC recognised either, in fact those have at least 2 or more distinct 'lines'.
I've yet to see anything that convinces me that the Irish Staff was being developed as a breed before the Pitbull came along.
Becky
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I personally had NEVER heard of Irish staffies, til it became a problem owning Pits? I am not an expert in bull breeds whatsoever so my response is as an outsider and dog lover only, it appeared to me that people that owned pits or bred pits started calling them Irish Staffies to get around the DDA I beleive and I will stand corrected there were also other names such as red nose staffs etc?

Mo
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 10:54 AM
I found this link,which makes interesting reading although it is from 2002.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Cont...&site=5&page=0

The dog "Psycho" and "Stormer" I believe appear in alot of Irish Staffords bloodlines but I stand to be corrected.

Becky I know that "Irish Staffords" were around before the introduction of the DDA/BSL but can't find anything,I'll keep searching...I know that since the introduction of the DDA that this type (I won't call it a breed because it isn't one)has grown in popularity.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
And that All kc dogs started off as mongrels to create breeds including american bulldogs, labradors, labradoodles"
i know it's not proving anything but just thought it was interesting.
Kristian, The American Bulldog has no Kennel Club recognition and never will, it is currently recognised by the ABA and the NKC the American Bulldog is not a new or a recreation of an existing breed, it's just a very old one! The American Bulldog began it's life in England in the 12th and 13th centuries, and led life as a baiting dog until the 18th century when with the outlawing of baiting breeders in England started crossing them with other breeds. In 1733 the English purchased a large tract of land from the Greek Indians which is now known as Savannah, Georgia. English people started settling there and took their Bulldogs with them, these dogs are known today as the American Bulldog!

There are four main lines that these dogs come from, the most famous strain being the 'Johnson' type American Bulldog - Call me biast but I personally prefer the Hines and the Scott strain type of American Bulldog, I believe the other strain is Painter!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Becky I know that "Irish Staffords" were around before the introduction of the DDA/BSL but can't find anything,I'll keep searching...I know that since the introduction of the DDA that this type (I won't call it a breed because it isn't one)has grown in popularity.

I have actually quite litterally 'stumbled' across a rather interesting piece of information on the internet which sort of blows apart the 'theory' that these dogs were actually around before the introduction of the DDA a short article written by someone involved with these dogs named within the threads. The information is there if you search for it
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I do love dogs for what they are but I don't believe that a breed known as the Irish Staffy or Irish Bull Terrier existed prior to Pitbulls coming into the UK. If someone has evidence to the contrary then I'd like to see it.
The fact that Ed Reid is involved in some aspects of this 'breed' says enough to me!
By all means love your dogs but don't claim they are something they are not.
Becky
well said Becky,
must admit its the claims they are something they are not that gets up my nose.
and at no stage is anyone saying that you cant love a dog becuase of its breeding.
bigdog
New Member!
Male 

13-05-2008, 06:16 PM
hello all
wish people would take a look at the history of these dogs first and you will find out the old type staffs were much larger than the ones around today first kc reg/rec 1937 i think and were much taller . and i bet anything you want sooner or later the irish staff will be a listed breed of dog, as there are pure lines of these type around bread from tall/long legges stafs in the 80,s. people need to do thier homework befor starting shouting crap around. the old type staffs were much large dogs and breeders and made them alot shoter for showing, thats the bottom line. i bet there are alot of pitbull/cross staffs around and owners claiming all sorts of things, but there are also prue bread top quality irish staffs around., its only a matter of time before this breed get listed by all. not saying soon , but in time it will. and i hope kc people get off their high horse, as if you take a look at a real irish bread staff , it looks more like a origanal saffy that the kc ones do today. fact not fiction people.

some of the lines of breeding can be proven for some of the true irish staffs,(and i mean the real ones) and also i have been told a dna blood test can also prove that a dog is not of pitbull type. and i know a few people with irish staffys that have done this. all dogs come from old line stock and some are 21" tall and around 55 to 60 pound in weight? so i would love for any police force or goverment try and prove they were of pitbull type. this is what i mean , there are alot of confused people out there. including the goverment

some more info
The Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a variation of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier registered by The Kennel Club ("KC") The breeders of this type feel that it is more in line with the original dogs that where first recognized by the Kennel Club in 1935. The Irish variation is more agile and lean than its relatives that are attending the conformation shows arranged by the kennel club in England[citation needed].

The Irish strains of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier originate mostly from Kennel Club stock sent to Ireland in the 1950s. These were kept as working and show dogs and took the best of both sides. They were tried out in the Badger-baiting trials that used to be held in Ireland.

Even though the origin is purely from English stock, the name Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier came about when the working strains were brought back to England in the 1980s. The name has been widely used and misused, often when it has been used to label dogs that appear to differ from the Kennel Club standard but have no relation with the Irish dogs.

Other names that has been used to label the working type Staffordshire Bull Terrier, including those that may not have any relationship with Ireland are old type Staffordshire Bull Terriers, true type and working type. Famous bloodlines of the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier are known by names such as Psycho, Dublin Red Strain, Flynn.

Modern activities that these dogs are used for include hunting foxes and badgers and Weight pulling. They are also shown at specialized conformation shows aiming to preserve the look of the old type Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Irish Staffordshire Bull Terriers, like their English ancestors, are a European breed with an entirely different conformation standard than either the American Staffordshire Terrier or the American Pit Bull Terrier.

now the trick is to only buy dogs that can be traced and proven from the famouse lines, this can be done with alot of work , but they are out there
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately I don't know much about the breed but from what I've seen of them on google, they look very handsome in deed. They do have a look of the Pitbull about them which I'm sure would cause an issue owning one in the UK. It's not a dog I would choose to own personally because I have a child and when I'm unsure of a breeds expected temperament, I won't take the chance.

Heidi
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
hello all
wish people would take a look at the history of these dogs first and you will find out the old type staffs were much larger than the ones around today first kc reg/rec 1937 i think and were much taller . and i bet anything you want sooner or later the irish staff will be a listed breed of dog, as there are pure lines of these type around bread from tall/long legges stafs in the 80,s. people need to do thier homework befor starting shouting crap around. the old type staffs were much large dogs and breeders and made them alot shoter for showing, thats the bottom line. i bet there are alot of pitbull/cross staffs around and owners claiming all sorts of things, but there are also prue bread top quality irish staffs around., its only a matter of time before this breed get listed by all. not saying soon , but in time it will. and i hope kc people get off their high horse, as if you take a look at a real irish bread staff , it looks more like a origanal saffy that the kc ones do today. fact not fiction people.

some of the lines of breeding can be proven for some of the true irish staffs,(and i mean the real ones) and also i have been told a dna blood test can also prove that a dog is not of pitbull type. and i know a few people with irish staffys that have done this. all dogs come from old line stock and some are 21" tall and around 55 to 60 pound in weight? so i would love for any police force or goverment try and prove they were of pitbull type. this is what i mean , there are alot of confused people out there. including the goverment

some more info
The Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a variation of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier registered by The Kennel Club ("KC") The breeders of this type feel that it is more in line with the original dogs that where first recognized by the Kennel Club in 1935. The Irish variation is more agile and lean than its relatives that are attending the conformation shows arranged by the kennel club in England[citation needed].

The Irish strains of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier originate mostly from Kennel Club stock sent to Ireland in the 1950s. These were kept as working and show dogs and took the best of both sides. They were tried out in the Badger-baiting trials that used to be held in Ireland.

Even though the origin is purely from English stock, the name Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier came about when the working strains were brought back to England in the 1980s. The name has been widely used and misused, often when it has been used to label dogs that appear to differ from the Kennel Club standard but have no relation with the Irish dogs.

Other names that has been used to label the working type Staffordshire Bull Terrier, including those that may not have any relationship with Ireland are old type Staffordshire Bull Terriers, true type and working type. Famous bloodlines of the Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier are known by names such as Psycho, Dublin Red Strain, Flynn.

Modern activities that these dogs are used for include hunting foxes and badgers and Weight pulling. They are also shown at specialized conformation shows aiming to preserve the look of the old type Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Irish Staffordshire Bull Terriers, like their English ancestors, are a European breed with an entirely different conformation standard than either the American Staffordshire Terrier or the American Pit Bull Terrier.

now the trick is to only buy dogs that can be traced and proven from the famouse lines, this can be done with alot of work , but they are out there
enjoyed that read, thankyou, very informative
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 9 10 11 12