View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 03:07 PM
the best and healthiest dogs from abroad (usually germany) are those with working qualifications. We don't have anything similar for show people to aim at. Thats even if they wanted to---how many do any kind of serious temperament testing for working ability?

If you are interested you can get info on them from the net. Different countries have different schemes.

It is very strange that someone who seems to be very interested in showing and prepared to defend breeders etc has such gaps in their knowledge.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Who has said there is nothing wrong with showing?
My mistake----so there are things wrong with showing? Yes or no answer will do.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Not really because most show Rotties will be from tested stock. The main problem that popular breeds have is over breeding by those who don't give a stuff about the breed. Yes Corgis can have spinal problems but I wouldn't say Corgis do have spinal problems. There are lots of lovely healthy Corgis in the UK that live to a ripe old age and can do all kinds of activities including herding and even agility. Responsible breeders breed for health, what's the point in breeding pups which have a high likelihood of dying young or being unfit for the show ring etc.? Sure there are crap show breeders but they are vastly outnumbered by back yard breeders and you just need to look on sites like preloved to see that. A breed may just have recommended tests because the breed club wish to avoid problems, not because there are problems.

What interests me is why the kc are focusing on these 'high profile' breeds, many of which live normal lives despite not looking how the gp prefer their dogs to look, whilst other less exaggerated breeds may look ok but have high instances of cancers etc.
Sadly I have only seen one Corgi doing agility
She measured small but was unable to even jump the small jumps
But she did love it and charged round poles flying - perfect rounds except every pole down

Her owner chatted to me afterwards and said she loves the breed and thinks she has finally found a good breeder who is breeding with the ability to take a small jump as well

Because for a supposed hearding dog it would be difficult to work if blocked by a simple twig or pothole - a little like a darlik trying the herd

Personaly I think us humans mess up breeding when we try and control it because we dont know all the facts. Not that long ago we didnt know about dna
We are learning all the time, which is good, but it means there is always things we dont know

Also there is in some areas old school people who think they are the gods of breeding and know it all
and people listen to them because they have been breeding 20/40/60 years

and with no real evidence to support things people say it is perfectly safe to line breed/inbreed breed littermates simply because people have been doing it

I am afraid I wont believe we know what we are doing until dogs are at least as healthy as wolves
and when you consider all the dangers that wolves face in the wild - and all the help our dogs have with vets and supposedly great food
I think it is very telling that the average lifespan often quoted for a wolf is 12 years - yet meny of our man made breeds do not have that expected lifespan

I think it is great that people are trying to do better, but I also think we do not know enough and have and still are making big mistakes

imo pedigree dogs (and crosses because at the end of the day if you mate 2 unhealthy dogs you get an unhealthy dog) are not as healthy as they would have been if man had not dabbled
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
the best and healthiest dogs from abroad (usually germany) are those with working qualifications. We don't have anything similar for show people to aim at. Thats even if they wanted to---how many do any kind of serious temperament testing for working ability?

If you are interested you can get info on them from the net. Different countries have different schemes.

It is very strange that someone who seems to be very interested in showing and prepared to defend breeders etc has such gaps in their knowledge.

rune
Now now, put the claws away

Thanks you for the lesson, but its not needed , I am very much aware of working qualifications and what`s involved,

But that was not the point in question, I was simply following the line this thread had taken, about breed standards, you said the UK KC is responsible (or insinuated) for the demise of health in breeds .

bijou corrected your mistake,

e breed standards of most new breeds are set by
their breed clubs who usually use the FCI standard from the country of origin as a base
You came back with

We don't have working qualifications-
Which lead to my question.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
My mistake----so there are things wrong with showing? Yes or no answer will do.

rune
I will answer any questions how I want when I want not on your order
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, thats not what I am saying , there seems to be a wide spread assumption that many breeds have become unhealthy ,over time due to mans interference, I am simply asking for some form of proof, other than the usual "the old type was/ looked healthier then the present".
Sorry, my mistake.

No proof either way because, of course, there never was and isn't now an adequate database to record the incidence of disease in dogs - hereditary or otherwise.

It's something that I'd personally like to see, but whether or not it will ever come is another matter
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:11 PM
blaming the UK KC for the ill health of all breeds has got to be up there at the top
I don't think anyone has done that, but, as the biggest dog club in the UK they are definitely in a unique position to be able to make the greatest strides in respect of dog health and welfare if they choose to do so
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I don't think anyone has done that, but, as the biggest dog club in the UK they are definitely in a unique position to be able to make the greatest strides in respect of dog health and welfare if they choose to do so
Rune did
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Now now, put the claws away

Thanks you for the lesson, but its not needed , I am very much aware of working qualifications and what`s involved,

But that was not the point in question, I was simply following the line this thread had taken, about breed standards, you said the UK KC is responsible (or insinuated) for the demise of health in breeds .

bijou corrected your mistake,

You came back with

Which lead to my question.
We don't have working qualifications---if our KC insisted on them the dogs here would be as good as the continental ones.

So of course working qualifications 'have something to do with it'

Simple

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Rune did
Yes I did- , although I don't think I said ALL breeds---and it was proved by the list of breeds provided---apart from the terriers they were all 'newish' to our KC registrations.

Having said that it was also a wildly inaccurate list!

rune
Page 12 of 28 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »