Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
Splitting a stopper pad is a racing injury. Like it or lump it, you stated that pets don't sustain racing injuries - yes they do.
It is not an injury specific to racing - which is what the research at the uni was funded for.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 08:54 PM
The dogs love it...
And you dont????
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
It is not an injury specific to racing - which is what the research at the uni was funded for.
So what injuries can only happen to dogs when they're racing that can't happen in pet dogs, I mean are you saying that if someone has a young Greyhound or two, and they are running around and playing as they do, and they get injured, that they wont be able to get some of the injuries that a racing dog does, because they are not running around a track

Or even the many Lurchers and Longdogs and other sighthound breeds, can they not get injuries that racers can get, as if they see anything they can run as though their life depended on it, and do many twists and turns, run into other dogs etc. And other types of dogs can get hurt when playing, or running with friends, are you saying that they can not get injuries that a racing Greyhound can get, or is only dogs on the track?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
And you dont????
Well, you won't catch me leaping around in the car park at the sound of the hare, but yes, I definitely enjoy it a great deal, who doesn't enjoy watching their dogs have fun?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
So what injuries can only happen to dogs when they're racing that can't happen in pet dogs?
Yes Jodie, very valid question here...I can't think of one. But I can think of something pet dogs are dying from that you won't ever see a racing greyhound dying of, obesity.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes Jodie, very valid question here...I can't think of one. But I can think of something pet dogs are dying from that you won't ever see a racing greyhound dying of, obesity.
theres gonna be at least a dozen and I've seen way too many obese dogs, its getting sad do you know the amount of times I've been told that my dogs are under weight, and 9/10 the person saying it has a over weight lab.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 10:03 PM
If you're going to quote me, then quote me correctly.

A) I have never stated the licensed industry runs 'unregulated' - -I have stated the licensed industry breaches UK and EU law.

B) Indeed, the proposals were challenged but Defra did not modify them to include - amongst other things - independent regulation as requested by 12, 000 respondents.
Were those the challenges that were not submitted in time?

You back pedal girl, suits you, you always say the industry is self regulated, are you now saying it isnt? You always say they are outside all laws, clearly they are not, but hey, helps with your exaggerations right?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, you won't catch me leaping around in the car park at the sound of the hare, but yes, I definitely enjoy it a great deal, who doesn't enjoy watching their dogs have fun?
You mean you dont yap and spin and get all hyper? You aint doing it right girl!!
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
So what injuries can only happen to dogs when they're racing that can't happen in pet dogs, I mean are you saying that if someone has a young Greyhound or two, and they are running around and playing as they do, and they get injured, that they wont be able to get some of the injuries that a racing dog does, because they are not running around a track

Or even the many Lurchers and Longdogs and other sighthound breeds, can they not get injuries that racers can get, as if they see anything they can run as though their life depended on it, and do many twists and turns, run into other dogs etc. And other types of dogs can get hurt when playing, or running with friends, are you saying that they can not get injuries that a racing Greyhound can get, or is only dogs on the track?

There is a high injury rate in greyhound racing because of the racks acute bends. You will not find companion animals - naturally - racing in packs of 6 putting strain on the same joint and constantly going round in the same direction

In commercial greyhound racing and for gambling purposes, the dogs have to be evenly matched and most injuries occur on the first bend when the dogs are still grouped closely.

Accidents unfortunately do happen when a companion dog is running around in play mode but racing greyhounds are intensively trained to chase competitively which again increases the risk of injury.

Racing injuries are explained very well in this video
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...addysweeny.flv
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I think most people would enjoy watching their dogs playing but you go that one step further and place your dogs in a competetive environment - on an oval track - where the risk of injuries are greatly increased.

Why not just let them run freely - at their own pace - for their own pleasure?
Page 115 of 157 « First < 15 65 105 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 125 > Last »