Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
The 2nd video Adam - do you not see how stressed the lab is at the start waiting for 'work' to start?? As a 'expert' trainer please can you describe to be what the dog is saying at the begining of that clip?

Oh right, that is quite different to how I had understood you trained
I thought you were building up the distractions slowly so the dogs 'working level' was never exceeded
Now you are saying you find the level that the dog at rest notices the shock - but then when the dog is in full chase you just dial it up until the dog responds - and you dial it up v quickly so the dog may well be feeling it but hasnt shown it yet while you put it up 2 more levels

Training like that you cannot say that the dog does not feel pain - you have deliberatly exceeded the levels you found in the first place

and as i have stated before - 3 electric fences did not stop Mia in full flight - and I KNOW they hurt lots
I do build up distractions ect, but of course distractions will change levels and so on.

The music you hear clearly when alone in a quiet room won't be heard at all when talking on the phone.

Re lab, The dog didn't seem stressed to me, he seemed keen to begin (probably because she uses loads of foods) but I like a dog keen to start.

Btw I think I have discussed e collars v stock fence before.

Adam
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Don't you think they would have contacted me, used my vids ect all ready, considering I use e collars and am quite vocal about it!

I don't need a person on a forum's help to be included in an e collar study lol.

Adam
..So the people conducting the study know you advocate using two e collars at once on a tiny JRT and you mentor (the one you so frequently quote) likes to place an e collar near to a dogs genital areas do they.
We will see, I shall be contacting them anyway.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
How would you know? If you are just starting out to find the range the dog reacted at?

I seem to recall you mentioned that you felt the dog would react strongly as the sensation is a 'shock' (no pun intended), however, if you are looking for first level of response from a dog, you must start at the lowest possible setting on the collar? and then move through the settings until the dog 'reacts' in the way you find acceptable to start training?
Therefore the sensation is not a shock..... the dog is slowly getting used to the sensation each time?
They don't get used to the sensation, they respond to the first level they feel.

I doubt any undistracted dog would ignore a sudden tingling sensation, they would look around for the source, there you have working level test.

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:14 PM
They don't get used to the sensation, they respond to the first level they feel.

I doubt any undistracted dog would ignore a sudden tingling sensation, they would look around for the source, there you have working level test.

Adam
.....and how do you know this?

How do you ensure the dogs are not distracted? I assume you ensure there are not other smells about, no food in pockets, no cars diving past, no birds flying over head....the list goes on.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-01-2011, 06:20 PM
An dogs distractions will vary of course, however I tend to start pressing the button when they are undistracted, maybe in the house once they have had the collar on for a little while, have got used to me and I've talked the owner through the training a little.

Or you can find it outside once they have become bored of the immediate environment. Re additional distractors, easy really don't try and find the level when a cats walking by!

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:25 PM
An dogs distractions will vary of course, however I tend to start pressing the button when they are undistracted, maybe in the house once they have had the collar on for a little while, have got used to me and I've talked the owner through the training a little.

Or you can find it outside once they have become bored of the immediate environment. Re additional distractors, easy really don't try and find the level when a cats walking by!

Adam
So you cannot guarantee the dog is not distracted and therefore not responding at the first sensation.

These are Dogs Adam, we can't ask them in words they understand. I wish you could understand that.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Even if the dog was distracted, because it was outside for example, your still using the working level in that environment.
I always advise people to check the working level in different environments.

Btw you guys seem to think e collar training is this terrible minefield, quite the opposite is true.

Adam
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

We are asking questions of someone who can`t train a dog to sit without a battery charger!
My kids could do that by time they started school.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Odd. I would have assume that whacking a few volts through a toy poodle and a Bernese would have had different outcomes. Why else would Adam use two collars?
I suppose it`s like burning a dog though. A small dog would feel the same amount of pain as a big one. It would then come down to how much pain you want the dog to feel.
I`ve just been talking to a lady from a Rescue who is rewriting her adoption agreement because a dog she rehomed (a sweet dog with no behaviour issues) was being trained recall by electric shock collar. Very sad.
Rehome and breeder contracts don't mean anything (legally) once money has changed hands the dog is legally yours.

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Even if the dog was distracted, because it was outside for example, your still using the working level in that environment.
I always advise people to check the working level in different environments.

Btw you guys seem to think e collar training is this terrible minefield, quite the opposite is true.

Adam
Going on my own experience, your videos and posts it is more of a minefield than I had first thought.

SO many times on this thread alone you have made me shudder in the way that you describe your training. I find is both frightening and Sad that people entrust their pets to you.
Closed Thread
Page 115 of 206 « First < 15 65 105 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 125 165 > Last »