register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you 'do' dominance?
Yes I believe in the dominance/heirachy/pack theory 51 43.22%
No I don't 'do' dominance 42 35.59%
Have absolutely no idea 1 0.85%
Sitting on the fence 24 20.34%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 11 of 30 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Perhaps she is their boss, but I don't believe she is the boss because her dogs look at her as head of the pack. She's the boss because she's their owner, their carer, not because she's the 'alpha in the pack'. I just don't think dogs see it like that.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:40 PM
That's exactly how I see myself as their carer and friend not their boss, a sort of mutual respect of each others needs.
Becky
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Well then one of you pack will take the leader position instead of you. Pack leaders care for their pack. Dogs don't work in a 'we'll all look out for each other,' 'we'll all just be friends and just hang out,' kind of way. They instinctively seek a heirarchy.If packs don't have a good heirarchy and structure it doesn't function as well. That creates squabbles and stress, because dogs are programmed to own a place in the pack. If they don't know where they belong, or who they are, then they will try and find out through squabbling and misbehaviour, and it is stressful for them. If a dog who isn't a natural leader takes the leader role because noone else is, then it will also be stressed from that responsibility.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:30 PM
But that simply isn't true with my lot, they don't act as a pack at all. No-one has assumed lead role here at all. You're more than welcome to come and see 'living together in harmony' in action with my lot at any time.
Becky
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:31 PM
But humans are a different species? We're not dogs, we're not in their pack.

I believe multiple dog households will have a pack between the dogs, but the humans aren't involved.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
But humans are a different species? We're not dogs, we're not in their pack.

I believe multiple dog households will have a pack between the dogs, but the humans aren't involved.
I agree!

I think that a human can reinforce pack values between the dogs, but can't be involved in that way.

I suppose I reinforce that Max is "top dog" as he gets everything first - food, cuddles, treats etc. but I do it so that he wouldn't feel pushed out in anyway when we got Murphy.

I also don't think that every breed of dog needs a "pack". It seems that husky-type breeds - NI's, Sibes etc seem to need firmer handling and more "pack" reinforcement than Poodles (for example)
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I just find it hard to believe that my Border Collie can have no instinct with sheep, something that was in the blood just a couple of generations before, and yet apparently he still has the instincts inherited from wolves many centuries ago? Doesn't make sense to me.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 06:03 PM
The jury is out for me on all this alpha dominance, wolf-related stuff!! But I voted yes, but perhaps the question for me really should be do you 'do' leadership?

I make sure Marius knows who is boss, although I don't really like the tag of 'dominance'. To me the leadership is training him, teaching manners and to have mutual respect.

Rottweilers are widely regarded as a naturally dominant dog. Strong willed, intelligent and they make huge efforts to get their own way. They need a firm, but kind trainer and a very consistent one. They definately need mental stimulus and love their training sessions. Other breeds are like this too and they do need a dominant owner who the dog respects and understands who is boss.

The important difference between these types of dogs and the less dominant ones is that if you did not have these rules they would soon vote themselves top-dog and that's when trouble starts. I am sure there are lots of dogs out there who could be spoiled rotten, allowed on sofas, fed titbits, sleep in beds etc and never become problematic - do this with a dominant dog and boy will you see a difference!

Of course not every single Rottie is dominant, but a lot have that natural tendancy to try to be leader if their owner fails to do so. I do think they are a breed if you give them an inch they will take a mile, so you have to watch for that!

I don't allow him (or any other dog I've owned) upstairs or on the sofa - as if we did he'd be wanting on it constantly and it is OUR space not his! I do make him wait before me in doorways as to allow him to rush through is bad manners and potentially dangerous (especially if carrying a hot cuppa for example!!) I can lift his dinner-bowl/bone/chew off him without a murmur. When he decides to try it on (which to be fair is not often) - we go back to basics and train until he learns the acceptable behaviour.

It is a very interesting thread this, enjoyed reading all the replies.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post

He doesn't advocate the use of choke chains-
He has advocated and used them on every dog on every episode I managed to stomach :smt102

watching all his own dogs are so well trained they barely wear leashes at all, because they will always follow him. He's even invented his own kind of collar, which is humane and made of nylon.
Then why does he put chokers on all the dogs on his programs and use them to force dogs to face situations they can`t cope with...

He never uses brute force. He just touches them to correct them, and gives them a jerk to break their focus on something.
A jerk is force.

When he puts a dog on its back he does it swiftly and expertly, they just roll over-
Alpha schmalpha rolling is one of the single most dangerous things to do to a dog, people copy it, they get bitten, the dog gets destroyed.
Its stupid, irresponsible, and is about brute force, it is nothing to do with a dogs natural behaviour in the way he does it, humans have no place doing it to a dog.

he only does it when a dog exhibits an aggressive behaviour.
And they are the worst dogs to do that insane treatment to, its absolutely crazy

They are not frozen through fear, and I watched his programme last night and he showed that the dogs tail wasn't between its legs, and that he doesn't want fear, he wants calm submission.
He wants robots, he wants dogs that dare not show when they are afraid because when they are he forces them into situations they can`t handle.
Dogs learn to hide their fears because of such repercussions, it does not mean they are `cured`, far from it.

He is in no way aggressive or frightening, he just uses confidence, gentle corrections and the dogs own natural language in order to get them well- adjusted. Its not just about being well- trained or well- behaved with his work. Its about getting the dog in a stable, happy, and receptive state of mind. His dogs and those who he's helped lead a wonderful chilled out life now, when before they were vicious, stressed out and barking all the time.
Nope, he just teaches them to keep quiet and not show when they are worried about something. That creates a volcano which will explode in someones face long after he has moved on to someone elses dog.

What I also like about Cesar is he knows that many people do not like him and he doesn't care-
Of course he does`nt care, he gets paid big bucks by the gullible :smt102

if he did, he wouldn't be successful, he'd lose his confidence
One can only hope !

and loads of dogs and people would still be miserable.
Or they would approach someone who does`nt do `quick fix` plasters like he does.

There are loads of people on his back about doing the alpha roll, and other stuff.
Well, yes, because its dangerous and leads to people trying it themselves, getting bitten, and dogs destroyed s a result !

But like I said he is not aggressive or mean in any way. He doesn't use choke chains, he doesn't shout, he doesn't physically punish,
Have we been watching the same programs ? i have`nt seen him not use a choke on a dog when I used to watch his programs :smt017

and he ownly used an e- collar once (and on a low level) when a dogs life was in danger if it didn't stop doing something- rememeber he is in America where their use is generally accepted.
Ah yes, the common song of the e-collar user - all that means is that he was stumped :smt102

He understands the language of animals and in particular dogs, and he's great at using it- he's a blessing to dogs. The things he can do look like magic to some of the bemused owners.
Its the way programs are cut together that makes it look like `magic`. Real training in the real world is about patience, time, and real understanding by desensitisation done carefully, not by dragging a dog on a choker next to what the dog is scared of [ and yes he does do exactly that ].

So poo-with- knobs- on to you.
Was I rude to you ? About the moron Milan yes, but I don`t recall being insulting to you so I would appreciate an apology and no further personal rudeness thanks.

If you can't understand what he's saying is successful, humane, and a true understanding of canine behaviour then you're missing out.
I`d put my `ways` and understanding over his any day of the week. I`ll stick with what I do and not his guff given that he often gets bitten but I don`t. I can guarantee you if he`d tried his foolishness on my previously severely human aggressive dog the way he was when I first took him in, [ not that Milan would ever have had the chance ! ], well, Milan would`nt have got to roll him never mind put one of his insidious chokers on him - he would not have been just bitten but shredded, because if he`d tried his abusive alpha roll and choker crap on my dog, my dog would have been given the right to retaliate by me thats for sure, but even then my dog retaliating would be nothing compared to what I`d have done to teach Milan not to abuse my dog with his out dated debunked rot.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Im going to stick my neck out here,

As to is CM right or wrong, I cant really say, I dont watch him on tv, I have seen a few of the programes after reading posts on the forum I thought I should see what the chap is all about,

I was quite surprised to see some methods I have used in the past,,such as putting a dog on its back, I have over the years had to do this with some dogs, A} because they had got to the point of frenzy,, {no matter what anyone says, I have been in the positon of thinking, I need to calm this dog, quickly! this has worked {with a limited type of dog} and possibly saved injury to the dog, me or another dog.
B} twice I have used it for self preservation,

I dont think its a one size fits all training method, but it does seem to help a set few,

.......runs for cover

I have great respect for those who know how and when to use the alpha roll safely and effectively. It's not a technique I would advise anyone to use unless they were totally confident and suitably experienced.

We had another Dogsey member, who unfortunately no longer posts, who wrote about using this tehnique in the USA in the course her job, in one instance on a very stressed Pitbull.

Well done Shona, you obviously know your dogs.
Page 11 of 30 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »